Mbechmann's workshop - update?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mbechmann, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Its been a while since I updated whats going on in my life. There is a reason for it.

In July 2018 I fell down the stairs outside and busted a ligament in my right knee. The doctor said I would be back to normal 2-3 months later...

Well that didnt happen. 4 months later, I will still in pain and having trouble with the knee. So we had it checked out more closely. Turns out I have inherited my dads muscular dystrophy.

Not just that, but the problems I was starting to have in my hands (cramping up and so on) was caused by this. So I had surgery in both hands trying to postpone the problems a bit. Worked in the right hand, but not in the left hand. I still have problems in my left hand.

Especially doing wintertime I have a lot of pain in all my joints. Sometimes I can barely move. Add to this, my sever asthma and my Malabsorption illness (similar to Crohns), things have not been easy the last year.

Long story short, all of this means that I January 1st retired completely - disability retirement. I will be moving into a better house/apartment which also means that my workshop is going to be greatly reduced. To be honest, I am not even sure we are talking a real workshop. It may very well end up being a shed. This also means I wont have room for a lot of my machinery.

So what will I be doing from now on? Well thats a little bit up in the air. Especially because that I wont be able to build instruments doing the winters here.
    I have found a place where I once a week will be able to do woodworking for 3 hours or so. There I will be able to do the rough woodwork for bass builds. The fine details I am hoping to be able to do at home, but time will tell. But thats still for summertime.

Now for what I will be doing, when its wintertime. Last summer, my brother had a chance to buy some really high end studio gear (Yamaha 01v96 mixer + Yamaha 03D mixer + a lot of other gear). So we are going to build a studio up here, and start to do recordings doing the wintertime. I have about 120 songs waiting to be recorded + he has about the same :). So as soon as I find a new place to live, we will set that up.

Last but not least, I want to share what a little bit about what happened back in November. We had a Daion Maniacs event in Copenhagen. 20 people from all around the world, all with Daion as their instruments. We all played at a local pub. Had LOADS of fun... And we got to meet the designer of this instruments, Mr. Hiro-san. For 4 days we talked about the history of Daions, Washburns and so on. Trust me on this, we had a BLAST.
    To add to this, doing the summer I restored a Daion Power Mark XX bass that had been smashed in shipping. I cut off the 2 tops of the wings, and added 2 new pieces. I than added green epoxy. Still waiting on the hardware for it - and the electronics are not working correctly :). But its getting there. And Mr. Hiro-san signed the back cover of the bass. To say that I can hardly wait to play it, is an understatement :).

So thats the update from me. Some good news, some sad news. But all in all, things are moving forward.

Attached Files:

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

God bless and keep you Michael :)

Mbechmann likes this.
  3. Mbechmann

Thank you Dave.

I forgot to post the pics from the front of the bass :). First time I ever worked with epoxy.

The first picture is how it looked when I got it. Then a couple of progress pics. The covers by the way, are made out of the cut offs from the top - so they match the graining almost perfect.

I just got the bridges yesterday. Havent installed them yet. Chose these because of the string spacing. Its only 18 mm so thats not a normal spacing.

Attached Files:

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Good to see you back on the (saw)horse, Mb.. giddy up..;)

sorry to hear about your fall... I hope all comes good for you in time..:)

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

wow - both for the story AND the pics.
    Let's hope the new year is safer.

Peace - Deeve

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice to see you back Michael!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about the fall and all the changes in your life.

The work on that bass is absolutely amazing!! It looks fabulous with the new top.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Mbechmann

Muscular dystrophy is not something you can cure, so its something I have to deal with for the rest of my life. I will most likely end up in a wheelchair.

Thanks.

Glad to be back. Different, but good to be back.

Thank you. I can hardly wait to hear the bass :).

I do have several project I need to finish. I have been pushing myself a bit too much taking on more than I should have. So I need to finish those and get them shipped. I also have 6 unfinished projects I need to finish - incl the Brainy ubass and the Church instruments (Grandpa's pulpit timber). A Christmas gift for my brother - a Recurve bow for my brother :). And then I need to finish this bass here. I also have to finish the ubass for myself. I also need to finish the desk I am building for my parents - using Japanese joints and no screws for the whole thing :).

I am also considering moving more into repairing instruments. The reason is simple. I can get away with working 15 min at the time on those so the projects wouldnt just sit for months and months. I also have a couple of acoustic guitars that I need to do a small repair on. On one of those acoustics, I might try my hands on actually removing the top and fixing everything. The other one, I am going to change neck, and build/convert it into an acoustic ubass :).

So I do have things to keep me busy. Its slow progress but it is still progress.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  9. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Good to see you back! Was beginning to wonder what you were getting up to. Sorry to hear the bad news. Looking forward to more updates :)

10. Mbechmann

Glad to be back even if things have slowed down a LOT. I am hoping to be able to finish 1 instrument a year from now on. If I do semi-builds I might get lucky and finish 2, but thats stretching it a bit :)

11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Michael
    Glad your back . Hope things work out

Rich

Mbechmann likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.