Maycaster Trisonics project - Done!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Pearlygates59, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Pearlygates59

Pearlygates59 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone.

I finally finished my latest Telecaster build; this one has been festering in my brain for a long time so to have it realised is a real thrill!

The body and neck were ordered from USA Custom Guitars. They were great and tailored the body to my exact requirements.

Mahogany body with a 1/8" flame maple cap. Body was routed for 3 single coils all positioned horizontally. Also routed for a Wilkinson V100 Bridge Trem setup, and a large cavity for the controls.

Neck is roasted maple with an ebony fretboard and reverse headstock.

The body came unfinished but well sanded. I used black then blue ink to stain the top (regular ink used for rubber stamp pads!), then applied several coats of wipe on poly to get a shiny finish. The back is stained with a mahogany stain to enhance the natural colour and finished with Tru oil. Neck also finished in tru oil only for a natural satin finish.

Pickups are 3x Burns mini trisonics wired the same as Brian May's- 3x on off switches and 3x phase switches. 1 volume and 1 tone. I may still add a push pull pot to add series / parallel switching options.

Pickguard is hand cut and the only thing I made a mess of! I will eventually make a new one! Tuners are Gotoh locking tuners.

The guitar plays and sounds amazing! My other guitars are gathering dust because this instrument really does it all!

I made a demo on YouTube- noting forum rules here I don't think I can post a link to the demo but if you search for 'mini trisonics' on that website you should find it. I hope that's ok?

Love this guitar! It's a keeper! 20190710_210220.jpg 20190717_065349.jpg 20190717_065406.jpg

TeleTex82, cbh5150, Jim_in_PA and 5 others like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Cool, Looks like it turned out nice

Are those pickups mounted to the body like a tele neck pickup?

Pearlygates59 likes this.
  3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very nice. You did a great job on the finish. I’ll check out the sound clip later.

4. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Intriguing... :rolleyes:

5. Pearlygates59

Thanks!

The pickups are mounted to the body. I did it this way purely because on Brian May's original guitar they are mounted the same way. I do quite like the look this way as it reduced the amount of screws on the scratchplate. Whatever tonal differences there might be doing it this way is debatable I guess.
    That said, I kind of wish I'd mounted them to the scratchplate. Adjusting the pickup heights was a real pain; I kept having to remove the scratchplate and take the strings off until I got the pickup heights sorted. However I reckon they're about right now so I probably don't need to adjust them again.
    I sat the pickups on bits of foam I cut from an old pair of sandals, so the foam compresses and expands a bit when adjusting the height to give the pickup some stability. Worked well enough!

TeleTex82 and Fretting out like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I'd always heard of Burns pickups due to Brian's.
    I had no idea they were available.
    Thanks.

7. Pearlygates59

Most definitely available.
    My pickups are actually Mini trisonics; same design but slightly smaller so they fit into standard Single Coil pickup cavities such as a strat. Sonically they are apparently a bit different than normal trisonics but are still very different beasts to 'standard' single coils. Very articulate to my ears - I love them.
    If you go on Ebay you can buy strat pickguard with these pickups and wiring already installed. Alternatively on the Burns website you can buy several different types of trisonics. To get exact replicas of Brian May's set however is a) expensive and b) you'll be lucky to find them. But personally I think the sonic differences are small enough for the laymen not to care, unless you're absolutely trying to recreate BMs specific tones (you'll also need customised AC30s x3, a 1969 sixpence, the right treble booster etc, and learn how to play the way he does, which is unusual!

8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wow!.............sell all your other guitars...............you've got them all in one convenient package there!!!! Well Done!!

DC

9. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I love it! Especially the finish, and the way you wired the pickups!

Here's a variation for you... Red Special inspired body, but using Strat pickups wired in series...
    IMG20190601174537.jpg

The amount of combinations you get is great, from deep and full to high - pitched.

Cheers,

Alberto

Pearlygates59 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Beautiful instrument and variety of tones!

11. seeyou

seeyou TDPRI Member

Nice! Don’t show it on those Red Special forums hahaha!
    Re parallel/series switch - I’d be interested how that sounds too and it was something I tried ages ago on my red special but screwed up due to my rubbish soldering skills. When are you adding it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Pearlygates59

Haha! Good advice!
    I've been in conversation with Nigel Knight who has given me the wiring diagram he used, and I've ordered what I hope is the right 4PDT Push Pull pot! Once that arrives I'll get the work done in the next few weeks hopefully. I want to redo the wiring anyway because my soldering is a mess and the wiring is a bit of a snakes wedding! I was rushing to get it done. Will also cut a new pickguard, and I'm changing the toggle switches to slider switches too. More work to be done!

seeyou likes this.
  13. seeyou

seeyou TDPRI Member

Ah Mr KAT!
    Look forward to seeing/hearing the end results.
    I’m hoping to get one installed in my Kz when Im in Japan next month. While there I’ll be searching for a normal tele too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Lovely guitar. I've been a lifelong fan of Queen but only started playing guitar properly after I moved to the states. I made a partscaster after Bohemian Rhapsody came out, wasn't sure about actual trisonics but wanted to see what they might be like. Found GFS Brighton Rock pickups and pickguard for $50 and threw something together.

I imagine the Mini Trisonics sound better than the Brighton Rock's. Seriously considering getting some since I like how this strat turned out.

15. Pearlygates59

Good luck! If you take a look at the YouTube video it'll give you an idea about the mini trisonics. I absolutely love them.
    Of course, amps and effects make a massive difference too. I use a Rangemaster Clone from the British Pedal Company and I can strongly recommend it, or similar. I also have an EHX Screamin Bird Treble Booster but it really doesn't do the same thing as the Rangemaster.

16. Pearlygates59

Post a soundclip when you get it done! Am curious also!!!

seeyou likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.