Maybe this worship players forum is too generic...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, May 24, 2013.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Things are so different these days. When I was a kid (in the 70's an 80's) the church worship format I was used to was songs grabbed out of the green Maranatha song books, where the musicians were familiar with the tune, and/or were good enough to be able to read the music (notation for the piano player, and that or chords above for the acoustic player). Whoever was playing could find out about the set list 30 minutes before service, do a sound check, and be ready to play/sing. By the way, nobody was thinking they were supposed to play it like the record.

Today, there are just a lot more methods available to do basically the same thing in a church service: create an atmosphere of worship leading into a time of teaching, with possibly a closing song. Every MD/WL has their own idea about what that means, and here we are in the TDPRI worship service players forum with a hundred ideas about what it looks like. Maybe we should ask the Mods to make us some separate forums:

- Hymns on the pipe organ
    - Old School Worship Rock
    - The GCDEm + Capo will travel forum
    - The Edge Redux
    - Songs Coldplay would play if they belonged to a church
    - Play it like the Record
    - All Indie
    - No charts allowed, follow-the-leader swap meet

I'm sure I missed a few.

I miss the old green Maranatha songbook. Few people remember those old tunes these days.

2. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

:D

3. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I suggest,

What To Do When You Get The Songlist an Hour Before Service.

4. telechance

telechance Tele-Meister

Is there any other way? It's really cool when you've never heard a couple of the songs.

5. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I think you missed "Songs Mumford & Sons" would play if there were at church :)

I think it's just a reality that that we have to deal with as players, and this is a good forum to discuss aspects of that. People may question why this forum exists. But the reality is that a guy playing the bar on saturday night or the hipster club on a friday or whatever is dealing with a whole different ball game. Even more so as you navigate different contexts depending on the church.

I think the thing is for leadership (pastors, elder, worship leaders etc) to have a clear and communicated vision and for us in the band to listen to that vision. The biggest conflicts/issues seem to come when the band doesn't know what leadership wants or they hear it, think its dumb, and ignore it. The opposite is true (and bad) when leadership doesn't know what it's band members need or want or just ignore it.

I'm glad I stumbled on this forum. it's made me a better leader and band member since I'm both depending on the sunday.

6. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Maybe that OP was tongue in cheek. I'm too old to tell sometimes...

Seriously folks, either know the songs, or learn to read charts, and, whichever, be able to transpose, and swing with the beat. Be familiar with the genre. Listen to what the WL is saying, and be ready to play in a way that makes the most number of people in attendance connect with the message.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be like the record, but you should be able to do a good job at playing guitar in a way that's positive for you and everyone else. It's that simple.

I played old stuff, then I didn't play at all for 25 years+. Some of the old stuff is still around. A lot is not, and whether that's good or bad, is irrelevant, because if it's not, nobody's listening to it, and that means that the message in that music isn't being heard. So, play the music (that people you are in worship with) listen to *now*. Whatever, wherever. If they aren't listening, change. If it stops working tomorrow, change. Etc.

A not often quoted person in this milieu said, "What does not kill me makes me stronger," so apply as necessary. (He didn't say, it makes me quit, or complain about my condition, by the way.)

7. russintexas

russintexas TDPRI Member

One thing you missed is "play written orchestra parts for the <season> musical". Got to keep your reading chops up for that one.
    Also the "play hymns chord-melody style".
    Neither of those are what most people think of as worship playing, but (for my church at least) it's a significant part of being a complete servant in the music ministry.

8. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I wish they had a tongue in cheek smilie here. On the other hand, can't make it too obvious ;)

And for you other guys, thanks for the additional ideas. I actually considered some similar, but couldn't think of an appropriate category. Now I think I can. Our petition should include:

- Hit the Panic Button (example threads: getting the song list right before service, with two new songs you never heard, plus one of them is scored for orchestra in Eb, except they are gonna transpose it "on the fly" to Bb because the WL decided to add horns. WL says it should be "no problem, man, use your capo")

- Folk Hip Hop. C'mon, it'll be awesome. M&S said they're going there... it must be ok

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

i thought it was obvious but without a smiley, you never know

[​IMG]

10. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

How about a sub-forum for WL's only...

The first thread could be "Ever notice how the folks on the team who complain the most are usually the biggest problem?" :D

11. stratblues

stratblues TDPRI Member

Ha!!! Lol! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.