1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maybe John Mayer WANTS his wussy tone!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tjalla, Dec 4, 2007.

1. happy_dude2341

happy_dude2341 Banned

2. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think JM is an excellent guitarist. I don't put him in a category of "blues guitarist" though. He's bluesy, for sure, but I wouldn't lump him together with some "roadhouse" type players. Leave that sort of thing to Bonamassa. I kind of like guitarists having different playing styles and tones.

Mayer is also certainly deserving of a signature guitar as anyone else with a signature guitar is. Signature guitars are NOT the Hall of Fame, they're just a marketing gimmick. Get over it people! Thankfully JM's guitar has merit with unique features beyond having, say, a plaid pickguard or something.

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I saw John Mayer do a Crossroads with Brad Paisley. Paisley gives this guy a handmade strat and he acts like he was given a dirty kleenex.

Later Paisley makes some joke about him being a rock star and he gets what can only be called snippy.
    I don't know where this guy got the opinion he has of himself, but he needs a wake-up call. Being famous doesn't give you credibility. George Goebel was famous, so was David Berowitz.
    John Meyer and Kanye West, now there's a power house. They deserve each other.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't get people who knock John Mayer.

5. Montana_Dawg

Montana_Dawg Tele-Holic

I have no idea what show you watched, but it sure isn't the same Crossroads episode I watched. Mayer and Paisley were obviously having a great time, and definitely showed each other respect.

I like Mayer, personally. He is different, and in a music world full of cookie-cutter clones, that is a good thing.

Unless you like cookies :p

6. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the one on CMT and during the concert Mayer went to take a drink of water and Paisley said something about quenching his thirst like a rock star, Meyer remarked back that yeah he was lubricating his throat like a human being or sumpin and looked like he was going to punch him.
    As far as the guitar thing, when paisley gave him the guitar he looked at it and then gave to a roadie. Didn't seem very thankful that's all.
    I may have read the situation wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But I got the feeling that while, yes, they played together and kept things civil it wasn't a real love fest, if you get my drift.
    If I am wrong I certainly did not mean to offend.
    Quick other question.
    Are you on the coast or anywhere that's getting hit?
    I heard you guys are getting hit with 100mph winds.

7. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

SRV did it in the 80's and people still put him down. You can't win but at least some of us appreciate what real music is all about.

8. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

I woulda loved to have seen that! I'm chuckling to myself just picturing it :lol:

9. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I figure John Mayer wants a big fat paycheck, and he's getting one doing what he's doing. If and when the direction he's going becomes unprofitable he'll move on to something else. Until then I doubt it.

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I don't like his music at all. I don't like his guitar playing. Songwriting. Singing. Worst of all, I really dislike the face he makes... like he missed the shortbus and needs his Depends changed.

My hat doesn't go off to folks who have giant careers. ABBA, the Spice Girls, Madonna, certain elected officials. Sometimes masses of people lack serious taste while some of the greats die penniless only appreciated by few.

Either way, I don't know the guy personally but from what little I have seen of him offstage (interviews, Chapell show, etc) he seems like a nice enough guy. I'm glad somebody with a guitar is making a living at it (and got to take Jessica for a spin), even if said music repulses me and makes me gag and dry heave.

I don't think its a planned transformation to garner younger fans into old blues or anything, and I don't think he premeditated any evolution towards that kind of thing. I think he's playing what he likes and what comes natural to him.

"Aint my thing" would be wording it extremely lightly, but more power to the guy.

11. hippietim

hippietim Friend of Leo's

Yowza - John Mayer is a fantastic player. He plays with taste, tone, and passion. His pop songs are catchy - nothing remarkable but very listenable to me.

12. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Anybody who says Mayer cannot play guitar has an agenda. Whether you like his musical products or not is a different discussion, but the guy knows his instrument. His very brief solo on "Gravity" is as tasty and soulful as anything Tele slinging Steve Cropper ever played. I bet he could humble 90% of the faithful here one-on-one. And there are some damn fine players in the 10% he would be challenged by. And I bet they would respect him.

13. hippietim

crawdad - you're being mighty generous - I seriously doubt that anywhere near 10% of the faithful here could go toe-to-toe with him.

14. hippietim

Let's face it - most people want to hear simple catchy songs. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Who are these greats that have died penniless due to a lack of proper public support? As opposed to being raped by the music industry because that happens to the so-called giant career stars as well.

15. kingalingus

kingalingus Tele-Meister

IMHO, John Mayer's tone and chops were great at the Crossroads concert. Sure I could do without the nervous facial ticks, but at least his voice is unique and recognizable. He is keeping guitar based music alive and moving forward. I applaud him.

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As for the guitar Paisley gave him, it could well be that the guitar in question didn't feel very well, maybe it needed a little adjusting or Mayer would've liked different strings on it so he handed it over to his roady to have it done.

I read about a fan who gave Eric Clapton a Gibson Firebird and Clapton said "Take that guitar to my tech for different strings" and he later performed a couple of songs on that Firebird.

17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

So making facial expressions while he plays is a bad thing then?

Better tell Johnny Lang, BB King and Buddy Guy.

18. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know John Meyer from Adam BUT I don't understand why people need to diss' the guy.
    Most probably;
    -He's a competent professional
    -He's dedicated to his craft
    -He's worked very hard to be where he is

Gotta respect that, at least. Me? I'm happy for the guy.

19. Louthunder

Louthunder Tele-Holic

I'm afraid your in for a long nap! I think John is going to be around for a long time:lol:

20. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Not usually, but Mayer's are pretty darn freaky :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.