1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maybe I am missing something about the KoT....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 3, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I listened to the the video shown below with really good headphones, and if I were picking blind, I think I would totally pick the foxcatcher. Thing is, I have and love the foxcatcher - can't speak well enough about it. But based on this video, I do not care as much for the KoT. I am waitlisted for the KoT and will eventually get one - just smart to stay in the queue 3 years into a 4 year wait.

Maybe this video is not taking into consideration stage level and a cooking amp, but I am wondering if I am missing something about the KoT after hearing it and being less impressed.

davidchagrin and nojazzhere like this.
  2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Yes, most definitively. In the Youtube video, you can't hear all the ridiculous hype that otherwise surrounds the KoT!

3. bluesholyman

I think that "hype" is more about how hard they are to get than anything else. If he ramped up production, it would be just another great pedal, probably along the lines of the OCD, but without the constant changes. I get why he doesn't...well...at least why he says he doesn't ramp up production. I personally have no reason to believe otherwise, but it certainly lends to the hype, intentional or not.

I am really looking forward to comparing the two. If the KoT knocked anything off my board, it would be the Foxcatcher. I guess I am just surprised that the FC doesn't get more attention for what it is. I guess no one is really comparing a JHS Morning Glory to the KoT either or even hyping up two prince of tones as a suitable replacement. Its a bit baffling, to be honest.

I didn't get all the deal about the Klon, until I actually got a klone that was purported to be a part-for-part replica (including the Unicorn blessed diodes) and when I tried it, there was "that sound" i had always heard about - a sound I don't think I had heard in other klones I had tried before. Is a Klon worth $5K? No. Was my klone worth the <$200 I paid? Absolutely. Are there other klones as good? I think so.

Is the KoT worth the current Analogman street price - yes. Are they worth $1000 on Reverb one day after someone buys it new from Analogman? No. To be a bit fair, used pedal prices have gone up considerably in the last year. Nothing is normal, but I digress...

Mick and Dan did a "KoT alternatives" episode and at the end I remember them saying that there is just something it does that no other pedal imitating it does. I guess I will have to wait and see...

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I get that I'm not the target demographic anyway, but I just can't tell much about gear videos (guitars, amps, pedals) unless I'M the one playing......as well as setting amp knobs and pedal controls. I envy those of you who can, and besides, I'm not buying anything right now. These videos are sometimes fun to watch, but don't really do me any good. ;););)

BB, Cali Dude and bluesholyman like this.
  5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I built a Prince of Tone, super simple build. It’s a nice OD, but I can’t fathom the price tag or the wait.

highwayjones and BelairPlayer like this.
  6. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Get on the list, sell it for profit, buy a better pedal. All hype no tone.

omahaaudio likes this.
  7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

The Blues Crab is close enough for the crowd I run with.

DougM and ieatlions like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It’s never a bad idea to buy a pedal. At this instant I have 4 in various stages of pre-order and just got shipping confirmation of another.
    I don’t have a KoT, I’m interested and scared of the actual price but my only iota of principle is that I would never pay more than list for a used pedal. But hats of if anyone wants to. I’ve heard it and it sounds good. If you can wait that long and it’s the sound you want, why not? Buying pedals is the force that holds the lava into the core of the earth. I must not stop buying pedals.

telejnky and nojazzhere like this.
  9. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bunch of BB clones and the Wampler Pantheon is my favorite. The Chicago Stompworks BluesMaker is a great cheap BB clone.

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have never played a KOT but isn't it basically a clone of the old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal? I had one of those years ago and I wasn't that impressed, it was a very low gain OD as I recall.

mojek likes this.
  11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I believe not.

As far as I recall, it started out as based on that circuit and evolved. To what degree it was similar at the start and to what degree it is similar now, I know not.

Part of the deal, as I understand it, is that Mike spends a lot of time sourcing rare, no longer made, etc. transistors, etc., for their specific characteristics and testing / matching them - both to each other and to circuit use. That’s where at least some of the ‘mystery’ comes from. His fuzz face derived Sunface page will testify to this effort of sourcing and attention to detail.

https://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

I don’t think the KoT is overpriced either. Not new at any rate. You’re getting a dual drive, so, basically two pedals in one box, and that works out quite reasonable in the land of boutique and upper tier pedals.

As for the sound. Well, I think it’s fantastic, subtle, mesmerising, enchanting and sublime. But it is still just an overdrive at the end of the day. Some others sound fantastic, subtle, mesmerising, enchanting and sublime too. I think it has ‘something.’ But, so do others.

Pax/
    Dean

Epiphonist and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

It's the mids.
    The Foxcatcher is flatter. Put it in a mix and it might be burried easily.
    The KoT has that little mid bump that helps the guitar getting through.
    You don't always have to cut through but when you do, it's all in the mid range.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I like my Snouse Black Box 2.

14. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Disclaimer: I never owned a KoT and likely never will (cannot justify the price or wait time). But I think it certainly has some strengths judging from the YT demos I heard:

1. The clipping sounds nice: not too gritty, not too smooth, etc.
    2. It has a nice mid-humped EQ curve that seems to work well with all guitar / amp combinations
    3. It cleans up well (with guitar's volume or when playing softer)
    4. Both sides of the pedal work well together

There are a lot of overdrive pedals that tick most of these, but not all of the boxes. That being said, if you find something that works well with your guitar and amp (point 2) it is not hard to find something that also ticks points 1, 3 and 4.

bluesholyman likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

YouTube videos are a poor method of evaluating an amp or a pedal!

Everyone’s taste, psychoacoustic perceptions are different.

Confirmation bias or familiarity plays a role in our gear preferences.

Some folks who acquire the KOT are disappointed. Then again, how many of us have not been disappointed by a pedal or an amp.

Some will say the KOT is overhyped. Some will have unreal expectations.

I like mine but the heavens don’t open when I use it. It’s versatile and has many different tones. It’s great with other pedals. The price for a hand built, “boutique“ pedal with carefully sourced components is very reasonable. In the end, it’s just another tool in the tone box.

16. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

It’s a good overdrive, not my favorite by a long shot.

There’s something about the gain that makes it sound “like a pedal,” it doesn’t sound like an extension of the amp or another amp channel if that makes sense. It definitely has its own sound, and many many people love it for that. I didn’t like it enough to keep it.

2after909 and bluesholyman like this.
  17. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

I’m always suspicious of waiting lists, particularly absurdly long waiting lists (remember Landgraff? and Hermida?). I bet the KoT list wouldn’t be very long if a non-refundable deposit was required.

And yes, a 4-year waiting list gives Analogman a steady flow of income, but he also risks losing his long line of potential buyers to the next shiny thing that is certain to come along in the meantime. Better to staff up and fill those orders now - a bird in the hand!

(Or maybe pull a Bill Finnegan. Stop selling Klons direct, instead put your new units anonymously on EBay and make 10x the retail price.)

If you’ve actually played as many overdrive pedals as many here seem to have, you probably know that the differences among them, other than build quality, are very small. A Blues Breaker is still a Blues Breaker no matter how much you tweak it. And, if you play out, you might also know that the differences on stage are almost nonexistent.

Just my humble, but experienced, opinion. :)

Carry on.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    bluesholyman and nojazzhere like this.
  18. JiminVan

JiminVan TDPRI Member

Unless your goal is flipping/gouging, skip the waiting list and buy a PoT. If you like it enough and you think you want to stack it with itself, buy another one, but I prefer the flexibility of using other pedals in front of or behind it. I don't really "get" dual pedals that are the same thing times two.

Had a KoT, flipped it at a modest profit, and bought a PoT.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Great!....so you're saying the recent volcanic eruption in La Soufriere is partially MY fault? Just pile on the guilt.....I can't sleep at night anyway. :(

JustPlayItLoud and Killing Floor like this.
  20. bluesholyman

The goal is to try it for myself without paying the current insane market rates. At that point, I'll figure out if I keep or sell it. If I sell, it will probably be for a modest profit like yourself, but certainly not going to gouge anyone. I suspect by the time I have one in hand, a year or so from now, used prices will have come back down as supply chains get back to normal and general availability of gear across the board returns. People shouldn't be paying $800 for these things.

JiminVan and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.