Maybe I am crazy, but...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mimmo, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Now that is a really tough question.

Because I honestly enjoyed playing all of them.
    And I could play the same 8 guitars one day, and my answer would be different two days later.

The Firebird Zero won a lot of high marks, but it's neck-heavy, so it dives unless you hold it just so.

The Danny Matthews Tele didn't score well in this comparison, and it's comparatively heavy.
    Same with the BFG.
    But I love them both dearly, for a lot of different reasons.

Okay, on this date, and for no reason other than I hadn't picked it up lately, the most enjoyable of the lot to play was the Ibanez jazz box.

Ask me tomorrow, and I'll say something else.
    :)

Attached Files:

2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Personally I think neck relief is the biggest key to a neck feeling right, when you find the neck relief that feels best to you try to get all your other guitars to match and then do the rest of your setup so string height is the same and intonation is good and the other real important thing is how the nut is cut. I’ve spent a lot of time adjusting my other guitars to be very close to my favorite tele, of course I had to consider scale lengths and radius but they all play really similar and smooth now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VWAmTele and mimmo like this.
  3. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Yep, the one thing that makes the biggest single difference is the neck.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

mimmo likes this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Pick up wise, I agree with you.
    My plan is to make an esquire out of it, I already have a cavalier pick up bought for this purpose.
    But a set of PV 64 is a great option indeed. If I sell the 64 maybe I can keep the 60 in a standard configuration.

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Good point.
    Problem is that my guitars are all set up by my luthier who knows my preferences, and this guitar plays beautifully. Simply, my MIM is what my hands seem to love.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I take @Owenmoney 's point that relief is important, though string tension (just one aspect) is not down to neck relief at least in my own experience. It is important that neck relief is right for you and your guitar and your playing, of course. My own guitars are (almost obsessively) set up essentially the same - relief included, but still the string tensions differ. These tension differences are in no way major, just to keep things in perspective...

mimmo likes this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I noticed most of the the tension differences on my guitars is due to scale length, my fenders and squier feel almost identical and my Gibson Epi and PRs se are all having less tension than the fenders. But otherwise they all play rather slinky, I’m using Ernie ball nines in the pink pack on all of them . So I expect them to have less tension on the shorter scales. The different radius and shorter scale combined makes for the biggest difference I feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rze99 likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No question that scale length makes a big difference to string tension.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

And so, if you folks are curious about the end of the story, I’ll bring the tale that @mimmo started to its close. I was in sunny Rome, met Mimmo in person (every bit the nice guy that I expected him to be), hands were shaken, bread was broken and good coffee gurgled down. The fair amount was requested, and handed over without question, and now I am in a train itching (“dying” is more appropriate) to spend some quality time with this amazingly beautiful tele. Expect a NGD thread in the coming days :)

teletimetx likes this.
  10. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

God only knows how many guitars I've owned or borrowed or played in the last fifty years - and what a crazy amount of money spent and all in the quest for the "ultimate guitar!" But I'm beginning to have a horrible feeling that if it ever exists it might not actually be an expensive guitar. I've some fancy kit but I really do like playing my Affinity telecaster and a Danelectro!

11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

CS Smuggler, AV TS '64, AV HR 60s, '13 AMSTD (w/Mex 'Triple Tele' neck) and '08 CV.

The '08 CV has more wear, has been around the longest and gets to go for a ride more than any other Tele in the herd.

That's not to say it's best. It isn't. But it is very comfortable to play and holds its own tonally.

The Smuggler and Hot Rod are hands down the best Teles I've had. But the CV allows me to just play and not worry.

Everyone should have a good no nonsense/no worries Tele. The CV is that to me.

mimmo likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Hey my friend, it was a real pleasure yesterday! Once more, thank you so much for your kindness and the smoothest transaction of my life. As I told you, I am so happy that this telecaster is in your hands now: it is your tele, you have loved it since the first few seconds and now you have just to make it yours.
    May she give you years and years of joy and music and don't forget to put some nice wear on her ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your NGD thread!

Congrats!!! :D

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.