Maybe I am crazy, but...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mimmo, Oct 18, 2019.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I keep A/B'ing my Fender Telecaster AV 64 and Classic series 60s and actually prefer the Mexican :eek::eek:

I don't want to open a can of worms, I have been on TDPRI enough to know that this kind of threads have been started maybe too much times. But my MIM is actually a better overall guitar: I know and I can feel the superior quality of the components of the 64 (wood, pickups, electronics, finish - at least for some people) but I repeat: the overall feeling is way better on the MIM.

I also own an AV52 Telecaster and A/B'ing it vs the MIM...well, I have no doubt here! The 52 wins hands down in every respect, it is simply a great, great guitar. And it seems to have been built around my hands. It is "perfect" to me.

Have you experienced something similar? And - that is my question - would you trade the 64 for a different flavoured guitar? I own two acoustics and four teles, and am thinking about a direct trade for a LP Junior or something as punk-y as it (SG Jr maybe?).

Here she is, posing in my much missed Parisian flat, sporting a one-ply pickguard (the original mint green is back now). And before a setup (look at that saddles!!)

20180512_145429-1.jpg

Cheers.

LPTyler, Slip Kid, RadioFM74 and 2 others like this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I did it when I bought my Tele down at 1998... I tested dozens of Teles, I had big money and didn't care on expending as much as the guitar would cost. I had my first job and wanted a real Telecaster... tested vintages, expensive, signatures 2k, 3k, 4K guitars and at the end bought a Black standard one for less than 1K just because I liked her more than the others (And I didn't wanted a black one at all!!!)

Life is like that... she finds you, so keep it

And still is my #1

LPTyler, NewKid, Jim622 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Same with an AO 50’s strat and a mim 60’s series. Sold the 50’s. Just found a avri 57 though, and I parted with the 60’s after that monster. Tons of min are killer guitars with a good setup.

mimmo likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar finds you. Who knows where it’s made, who made it, what it’s made from? If it’s yours, really yours, none of that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB, Jim622, Telecaster88 and 4 others like this.
  5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to own a 1980s MIJ Fender Contemporary Telecaster (adored by the internet nowadays, so easy to sell!) and a much cheaper 1980s plywood-bodied MIK Squier Stratocaster. The Squier just had so much more life to it to play, felt much livelier — plywood or no!

LPTyler, Fendereedo, mimmo and 2 others like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You're not crazy, my favourite tele cost me $220 bucks and doesn't even say Fender on the headstock.:eek:

BB, Telegnosis, guitartwonk and 3 others like this.
  7. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Oooh, what's on the headstock?

Tokai, Fernandes, Vintage, Tesco, Satellite, G&L, err I'm out.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Fendereedo, mimmo and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's a Squier CV.:)

DanDII, NewKid, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If the materials and hardware going into the guitars are comparable, there's no reason to think one made in Mexico won't be as good as one made in the U.S.; the difference is in the labor cost/relative costs of living. Labor statistics show Mexicans are the hardest workers in the world, the product quality shouldn't be too surprising.

And, as we all know, guitars are individuals and sometimes everything comes together just right. *"It's magic!"

NewKid, Slim60, guitartwonk and 3 others like this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Your choice. All I can say is I used to be the singer and our pianist lent me his '61 SG Les Paul Jr. - unbelievable for such a simple guitar. It even had the old ( not intonated ) wrap around bridge/tailpiece
    Perfect- so many tones from a Gibson vintage P-90..

LPTyler, NewKid and mimmo like this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

A common experience. I expect. Some guitars just hang right and have a combination of small factors that others don’t.

That said my best playing Tele - and I do have a lot - is my Custom Shop 63. It’s just brill. Also most of my builds (at thousands less than CS) also compete very closely because I put together what I know works for me and spend ages getting them just right. My own custom shop.

LPTyler and mimmo like this.
  12. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Has a Squire cv Telecaster and it is far and away my go to. Les Paul, Duo Sonic, Clapton Stratocaster, and an
    Airline Twin Tone (#2) can't compare. You can play it hard, play it soft, high gain, whatever, it is a workhorse.

mimmo likes this.
  13. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Yes, it happens. My favourite (see avatar) is a MiM Standard Tele. Next is a MiJ.

On the other hand I have a Squier Jazzmaster which is completely blown away by my American Original JM so it works both ways.

I've long wanted a LP Junior too. Although I think I'd go for a Gordon Smith GS1 version. Don't think I'd trade in any of my current herd for one though.

mimmo likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Plus for Les Laul Junior. Hard to go wrong. But I do miss that neck pick up for maybe the 10 percent of time I spend on it when I’m using it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    mimmo likes this.
  15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a Squier Affinity Strat that is surprisingly good. Gets as much play time as my Am STD tele and Lite Ash Strat and Tele. I’ve been fine tuning the setup on all four of these over the past couple of months and I seems to have achieved a 4 way tie for my number 1 guitar.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No.

Only the MUCH better pickups of the 64 (the classic doesn't even have a real tele bridge pickup,it misses the baseplate so it sounds thin and wimpy) is enough for me to choose the 64.

Maybe it's a matter of SET UP (something that in 99% of the cases is why we "like" a guitar)

Fendereedo, mimmo and rze99 like this.
  17. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

It is a relief to read those comments, people judging guitars from a player's point of view and not the price tag.

18. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Actually no, it is not a matter of set up. Both guitars have been set up by the same luthier, both play very well.

It is hard to explain, it is the "sum of its parts" thing, I suppose. In my hands the MIM is just a better guitar, and trust me: I do love the specs of the 64. I love the whole AV line!

On paper I would agree with you, but in real life I can't.

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To each his own I guess,I have played both guitars and the classic 60s felt like a "piece of plastic" to me while the 64 felt way more "real & organic" and was also around 1 kg lighter.........

mimmo likes this.
  20. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I hear you, but I wouldn't miss the neck pick up (hopefully): I have both single and humbucker pick up's in my teles so I am pretty sure I can satisfy most of my needs, especially considering the middle positions.
    I have always loved Gibson's Juniors, especially the LP double cut: hopefully someone will make me an offer I cannot say no to!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.