Maybe I Am Asking for too much... Fuzz Box reccomendation.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by twangjeff, Aug 22, 2011.

1. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Well basically what I am wanting tone wise is a cross between Jimi Hendrix and Robben Ford. I want something with a Germanium type of fuzz, but with the ability to track well for jazz lines and such. Something that I can use for fusion as well as rock.

The overdrives that I have tried haven't been nasty enough like along the Tubescreamer, Blues Driver, Klon, etc lines. The Fuzzes I have tried loose their definition with fast lines, I've tried a Fulltone '70, and a Big Muff, so maybe I just haven't had a big enough sampling. I really did like the Fulltone though, it just didn't have the richness that I was looking for.

Any reccomendations Fuzzy people?

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Jimi and Robben in one box, eh? Hmmmm.... Maybe a Tiki Drive?

3. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm.

Well, Robben Ford is famous for his "Dumble" overdrive tone. Which is VERY mid-heavy. While most of Hendrix's fuzz tones are not so mid-heavy...so you're asking for something a bit unique but not entirely unobtainable.

The best I can think of right now that would "bridge the gap" is a pedal that a lot of people think has a fuzz type tone at high gain (including myself) but it's essentially a TS style pedal with the typical mid-hump, but it also has a lot of bass...so it doesn't have the bass cut of a TS.

It's called a Boss OD-3. At high gain, it will have the "nastiness" that you are looking for, while simulating a bit of the Robben Ford tone. But at low gain it's kind of just a TS meets a Blues Driver.

Just a suggestion. YMMV.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Well, Jimi used a Fuzz Face. I am pretty sure that is also what McLaughlin used with Miles as per his request. (Miles LOVED Jimi) I wouldn't say there was a lot of "blurring" in his lines, but he never used a super saturated sound all that often. That said, Jazz lines and rock attitude = Mahavishnu!

For an outside choice, I use a Soundblox Pro Multiwave distortion unit. This pedal has the ability to take the signal and break it into 10 distinct frequencies. It distorts each one separately then recombines them for the final outputted signal. With this ability, you can even play jazzy 7th chords with a lot of clarity despite a lot of gain. I play mostly Jazz and this pedal gets a lot of love when some Holdsworthian-Fusion is needed. (Also, the Pro model has a built in graphic EQ and MIDI.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

I have a McPherson white fuzz which is more of a distortion really, but it gets pretty fuzzy and doesn't lack mid and ability to cut through. The switch on it goes between "Well defined higher notes" and "not quite as defined single notes" - vintage/modern. Could be what you're looking for?

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Try a good Tonebender clone, D.A.M. MKII , Stonebender are the only other ones I've heard aside from mine that I thought were really cool. I use a Devi Ever Ruby and I like it a lot.

7. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

Wampler ecstacy drive? Dumble in a box with a switch to change mid charachteristics and a tone knob for high frequencies and a bass knoc for the lows. Could work maybe. Sounds killer anyway

8. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Boss OD-3. I sat at a music store one day and tried out about 50 distortion boxes with really no budget limit and it is the one I came away with. Like you, I find a lot of the boxes you mentioned not to be capable of enough distortion. All other things being equal, your guitar needs to be wide open, volume on max, and the more you can crank your amp, the better it is going to sound.

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

11. Falzoony

Falzoony TDPRI Member

I've got a Delisle fuzz and love it. Not many people have heard of them but they are definently worth giving a go. Great price aswell. It has silicon trannies but is very versatile.
    http://www.delisleguitar.com/index.php/pedals

I am not in anyway affiliated with this company :) just a satisfied customer.

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

You might check out the Lumpy's Lemon Drop. It's described as a cross between a fuzz and an overdrive. It's not technically the "right" fuzz for the Jimi sound but it's a classic 60s sound that doesn't get out-of-control when you turn up. Worth a shot.

Also, in situations like this, it's almost always worth trying a Rat. Again, I don't think it will "sound like Jimi" but it's a great, high-gain distortion box that works fine with fast playing.

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

rat

14. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

Get a Zendrive for the RF tones, a fuzz for the Hendrix stuff, and stack 'em for the mix.

And +1 for the Fuzz Head.

15. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Well I have definitely got some things to thing about. I will probably end up getting two pedals and stacking or cascading them.

As far as fuzzes go, I checked out the Delisle, and that seems pretty cool, I also got a chance to look at the Analog Man Astro Tone Fuzz, and that seemed like the closest to what I was looking for.

I already have the Fuzzhead, and I like it a lot, it just really isn't my cup of tea for this purpose. To me, it doesn't get, "Fuzzy," enough, it is more like a more sandpaper-y overdrive. I DO like the pedal though.

16. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

from another angle, try building or have somebody build you a multi-face - they are endless fun trying out different transistors and caps to see what you come up with. It's a really simple board so even if you have to pay somebody to do it it probably won't be that much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.