Maybe a dumb question: guitar strap

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, Dec 22, 2019.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I never case any of my guitars with the strap still on. If it fits in the cases storage cubby that's wonderful but if it doesn't it stays outside the case entirely.

teleplayr and zippofan like this.
  2. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I have many guitars and one favorite strap, so off it comes and into my backpack. It has Schaller straplocks and the guitars have the corresponding buttons so there's no oopsies.

mfguitar likes this.
  3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Same here.

4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Straps always stay on. They are thin leather and fold well. Only in the case for a short time, then out at gig/rehearsal or on a wall hanger at home. I use the rubber strap locks.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Doesn't every one have gig bags full of cables and picks and strings and straps and slides and stuff? I actually perspire when I play, so the disgustingly damp all-leather straps go in a separate compartment or some place they won't cause Alien-like corrosion.
    Grolsch-like straplox. Buy 'em at a brew-at-home site. $8.00 for a hundred.

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same here. I use the Martin thin leather ones. Have never had a problem but they are only cased on the way to and from rehearsal or shows.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I sometimes leave it on the endpin, but usually take it off. Depends on the buckle, case and proximity to the guitar top. I buy mostly $15 soft straps like the ones embroidered with "gibson" or "fender" etc. They are soft, comfortable and roll up nicely in the case. My nice thick leather straps dont transport well in the case. I should by a hard travel case for them I guess... :lol:

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's where mine usually go. But not all cases have the room shown in that picture the OP showed.

9. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I always take the strap off so I won't damage the finish
    RatBass.jpg

10. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

This. That's how I always have transported my guitars with straps on them. Never had any issue.

ETA: My straps are all leather and don't have a sliding adjustment buckle, so that may be a consideration. That's also why I don't roll them up, the leather tends to want to stay rolled lol.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I would always take the strap off while storing in each guitars' hard case, back in the day. But since I invested in Mono dual cases and washer-styled strap locks on my Fenders, this has become an inconvenience. So slowly I've been replacing the vinyl backed straps with soft cotton, polyester or nylon straps. This change allows me to leave the strap on while in transit. These straps are lightweight, comfortable, and wrinkle-free. Because they are cotton, polyester or nylon, they won't scratch or mar the finish, even nitro finishes, too. So I can stuff the guitar and strap in the Mono case.

They usually stay in the Mono case for up to a week at a time, because I'm lazy. No harm to the guitars' were caused by the case (either hard or soft) or the strap.

The Baja was the first that I changed to the tweed strap, from the vinyl backed to the softer cotton strap. I think this was around 2010. That strap enhanced the guitar's comfort as it weighs 8.8lbs (8lbs 13oz). I've always hated leather straps as inflexible and space taking. They can only work for the one guitar, the one guitar you bought and/or sized it for. If you put a Schaller or Dunlop straplock on it, it just gets bigger and more of a hassle. I just want to play and not get anal about a strap's storage, or carry a hard case. I have a nylon Planet Waves locking strap on a Les Paul and it hasn't harmed that finish in any way.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Always off.

It takes 15 seconds.

Buckle scratching and oils leaching into the guitar are spooky.

If the case was meant to perfectly fit the guitar then just put the guitar in the case (rather than the guitar + something else).

13. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I use the same leather strap with Schaller locks for both guitars and I keep it rolled up in my Pedaltrain hard case.

I have a similar leather strap with similar locks for my Jazz Bass. It doesn’t fit in its case with strap on, so off it comes and sits in a case cubby.

However, I also have a Sterling SUB Ray 4 that doesn’t have strap locks, and probably won’t get them. That one fits in its case with a seatbelt D7673DAB-99C1-4B6B-9715-19FC2E8A8E2B.jpeg strap attached, and for now I store them together, folding the strap such a way that its hardware doesn’t touch the guitar.

14. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

I know well those sweaty outdoor gigs, especially down here in the Houston Humidity Zone!

teletimetx and dannyh like this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Many times I leave them on. I have no worries about my poly guitars but I think I need to stop that on my few nitro finishes. I have seen issues.

16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

This-
    And, this-
    Leather straps (3) with Staploks are hanging over the back of an an ancient stick chair- not on guitars. The leather custom strap remains on the nitro mandolin and does not touch the finish when idle.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Always come off before going in a case, no exceptions.

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Always remove them. That Strap looks like something from Maria in Spain. Beautiful strap. I have a similar strap.
    Strap on Tele IMG_20191207_171902.jpg

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've read many stories of players that had issues with leaving straps on their guitars while in the case and the strap material damaging the finish, esp. Nitro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.