May seem funny but I’ll ask anyhow

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Wes1965, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Wes1965

Wes1965 TDPRI Member

I have an older Squier HH with 22 fret maples board. I am thinking about getting a new neck? My question is can one put a 21 fret neck on it without messing anything up? I am finding that there seems to be more 21 fret necks out there for sale then 22 frets! The price seem to be a tad lower too.
    Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

If the length of the neck is longer your original neck the bridge may need to be moved back to intonate properly

3. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

On my 22 fret necks the fretboard overhangs the body, the neck itself ends where it is supposed to.

rolandson likes this.
  4. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It will depend on the scale length not how many frets are on the neck. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret, that is half of the scale length of the guitar and determines the position of the bridge. Any variation of the existing scale length will require a re-positioning of the bridge or the guitar will play out of tune.

i.e. Nut to 12th fret = 12.75 inches = standard Tele scale length 25.5". Not all guitars are built using the same scale length.

If you don't use the same scale you will have to change the bridge, a bigger job than just replacing a neck!

DC

sonicsmitty likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Should be just fine.
    The only possible difference I can think of is that where the fretboard overhangs the body, the fretboard may be cut back to accommodate it. You can tell if you lift the current neck and peek under.
    Worst case, you might have to get a new standard pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.