1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

May a magnet ruin my Tele Bridge Pickup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Hello,

I'm planning to attach a Vintage style Bridge Cover on my Modern style Tele Bridge.
    Im thinking of attaching the cover with a magnet, which I would put near the saddles.

Could this magnet ruin my Bridge Pickup?

Thank you

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Why not simply buy a bridge with snap on cover, if you HAVE to have a cover?

awasson likes this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

1. I wouldn't risk it.

2. Is the modern bridge stainless steel? If yes, magnets won't stick to it.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a vintage-style bridge should retrofit with no problem. Get one, use that, keep your original bridge in case you sell the guitar.

nojazzhere and Tim S like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rare earth magnets can screw with alnico magnets and steel. I would avoid it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I was curious about statement #2, so I took a magnet and checked it against everything in my kitchen that is labelled "stainless steel". That magnet stuck to everything, so I am led to believe that there is not a problem with magnets sticking to stainless steel.

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

just try it and see. The magnet is not going to ruin anything in the alnico or the steel. A magnet can't screw with steel; and if it's screwing with the alnico in the pickup, you will hear it. And it won't be permanent, it will only be because your new magnet is influencing the alnico by its presence.

good heavens, it's a wonder that we have evolved so far, since men seem to be so frightened of trying anything new.

notmyusualuserid and PigBoy like this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I think your magnet method may invite microphonics.

8. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Additional magnets in the vicinity of your pickups will screw up the electromagnetic field that provides your guitar's output.
    I wouldn't do it.

9. BorderRadio

My comment seems to have been blown out of proportion. This isn’t fear, just some internet advice, up to OP to try it. I keep my rare earth magnets in the drawer for when I need to change the polarity of my single coils pickups, or put a charge on my Alnico bars.

Tim S likes this.
  10. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

If the PU is alnico a magnet can cause degaussing i.e. loss of it's magnetic properties.
    If it's ceramic I see no big problems if the magnet is not moving, but consider pu will sense every micro movement of the magnet.

"Stainless steel" is too generic, for example AISI304 is a-magnetic while AISI430 is ferritic.

Tim S likes this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Human kind is done with evolution, didn't you notice ?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's because when the first stainless steel fridges came out people freaked! There was no way to continue the sacred tradition of putting magnets on the fridge. They quickly changed to...well...I don't know what it is, but it has the look of stainless but magnets still work.

If you get a real stainless screw/washer from a hardware store it will not stick to a magnet.

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

We're not afraid of trying new things. We're just afraid of magnets.

Tim S and Archtop Bill like this.
  14. BorderRadio

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

As long as you only eat one, you're good ;)

Chunkocaster and LutherBurger like this.
  16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It depends on the alloy. Some stainless steels are pretty magnetic, others are negligibly magnetic.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If nothing else it WILL affect the harmonics - the strings will not have the sam vibration pattern, as it's affected by magnetic fields. There's a well-known problem known as "Stratitis" - weird, out of tune harmonics and a loss of sustain created if the middle pickup is too close to the strings.

The level of the effect depends on the magnetic strength and placement, the string alloy, bridge alloy and bridge pickup type/construction/magnetic field. Any magnets strong enough to hold an "ashtray" in place will have an affect - whether or not you can hear it is a crapshoot. And, as previously noted, the while thing will only work with ferrous metal parts.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because it severely limits pick dynamics and position. Unless you simply strum chords the "ashtray" is an attractive but style/skill-crippling device.

18. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Today I went outside at least five times. The sun was shining each time, so I'm now pretty sure that the sun shines 24/7 based on my investigation.

hellopike likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know but I think you will end up turning your bridge into a magnet after time from rubbing on it with the magnet. Could be useful for storing a hex key and house keys. Give it a try. I don't know how people can play with those covers on, I imagine it makes palm muting near impossible.

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the prospect of ruining a bridge pickup that will cost money to replace or re-magnetize is a legitimate concern, not an unfounded fear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.