May 6th

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 6, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Today has long been a red letter day for our family.

This day on the calendar first became a significant day for us when Elizebeth, our second grandchild and first granddaughter, was born. That was in 1998, so this date's been circled on the calendar for 23 years.

By the way, she has been featured in this thread and elsewhere on TDPRI through the years, in one way or another. When she was ten, I took a picture of her with my first Logan Custom tele. That pic has definitely been shared before, but here it is again...

upload_2021-5-6_21-4-29.png

Elizebeth is also an artist. For much of her life, everywhere she went she had a sketch pad with her. On one Thanksgiving gathering seven plus years ago, she sketched me playing my 1983 MiJ Hohner G-940 acoustic. For years that sketch was the art for my avatar pic here...

upload_2021-5-6_21-6-11.png

On her 12th birthday, May 6, 2010, we had a house fire. Many participating in this thread already know that story. Long story short, we made it safely through, even all of my guitars at the time. I had only five guitars at the time, and here they are. From left to right: Crafter FX570EQ acoustic/electric; 2009 Logan Custom "Logo" thinline; 2008 Logan Custom mahogany tele; 1983 MiJ Hohner G-940 acoustic; 2008 Breedlove AD25/SM acoustic/electric.

upload_2021-5-6_21-9-28.png

And of course, many here also know that after the fire, I saved some of the lumber from the old house and sent it to Bob Logan, and he's made two "Firecasters" for me out of that wood. They're in the avatar pic, but here's a closer look...

upload_2021-5-6_21-12-24.png

Okay, now for today. Whereas Elizebeth is our firstborn's daughter, our second child and only son had a firstborn son, Isaac, born in March of 1999. But on this day of May 6th in the year of our Lord 2021, at 22 years of age Isaac became the first of our grandchildren to get married.

Because family is divided and spread all over (Texas and elsewhere), they had the wedding on my son's property in East Texas, and we and many others attended virtually, by means of a live feed. In the future there will be a chance for us to get together.

Okay, that's all I got for this day of the year. But it sure is enough. My heart is full.

[mod edit]

Hiker, uriah1, Greggorios and 12 others like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Keep posting the cute kid and great looking guitar (and the sketch work)
    Updates will be welcome, too

(a too late suggestion - annual pics of her w/ same guitar - chart her growth)

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

May 6th is always a very memorable day for me.
    My Mom died on May 6, 1986.
    She was 60, I was 28.
    I changed forever that day.
    I learned that there are things that cannot be controlled, or changed.
    35 years ago.
    Thanks for listening.

dented, LGOberean, swervinbob and 2 others like this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sorry to hear this, brookdalebill.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

That pine firecaster does it for me! I like!

And congrats/condolences as applicable.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

That is a great story to punctuate a date in your history.
    You are a very lucky man

LGOberean likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Special day for me too. My daughter was born on May 6, 1987.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. LGOberean

Bill, sorry to hear it. My post was not meant to cause you to recall a painful memory, but to celebrate life, new beginnings and literally rising up from the ashes of adversity.

It's a funny thing with me and dates of death. I mean funny = strange, not funny = amusing. I tend to block out dates associated with such painful experiences.

Case in point, my Dad died of cancer at the age of 57. I can figure out the year it happened, because I know how young he was when he died. But the month and day I have to be reminded of.

I usually have a good memory for a lot of things, but when my Dad died...when his twin brother died...when my cousin was murdered...when her mother and my Mom's twin sister died, like that...those things my mind tends to block out.

9. LGOberean

Thanks...but which one?

10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Oh! That wasnt clear was it!

The one on the right. No guard, no switchplate.
    Mighty fine looking peice!

I like that a lot!

LGOberean likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hi Larry!
    I completely understand your joyful post.
    I did not intend to diminish or derail it.
    I apologize if I did.
    I remember dates, events and people very well.
    I use the dates as “signposts/markers” in my life.
    I’ve had a long, rich and joyful life.
    I am deeply grateful for it.
    The fates took my Mom, sadly and ironically right before Mother’s Day.
    My father, 3 sisters and I were truly blessed to have had her.
    She was loving, light, sane, and utterly dedicated to us.
    Your post is full of the best stuff in life.
    I guess we’re both lucky!

LGOberean and Ron R like this.
  12. LGOberean

Well, I could have guessed, but to me it wasn't altogether clear because both guitars are made from those salvaged woods. And the wood planks used to make the top veneers on both Firecasters are old growth Longleaf Pine. So both "Firecasters" could just as easily be called "Pinecasters."

Our house was built in 1935-36, and both exterior and interior walls were shiplap construction made of that LLP, so there was a lot of it I salvaged in the demolition process.

upload_2021-5-10_10-13-53.png

That LLP was repurposed back into the house (the attic floor is made of that LLP), but I also sent a lot of it to Bob Logan. He made those two Firecasters for me, and there are still a lot of planks of that salvaged LLP left over.

The one on the left came first, so when distinguishing between the two, this one I call "Firecaster I." Bob Logan used as the body core a ceiling joist of Douglas Fir, so that guitar was stained walnut to tie the two types of wood together in the same look.

upload_2021-5-10_10-21-27.png

Firecaster II came later. I didn't get around to ordering another from Bob until 2019. I didn't salvage near as much of the Doug Fir, so the second Firecaster was built with both top and back veneers made of that LLP. The body core is basswood stained walnut. Here are some pics of the build process on that Firecaster II you like.

upload_2021-5-10_10-34-33.png
    upload_2021-5-10_10-39-0.png
    upload_2021-5-10_10-41-23.png
    upload_2021-5-10_10-42-12.png

BTW, both guitars are chambered, and really light. Firecaster I weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. and II weighs 5 lbs. 10 oz. They both have Bob Logan's stainless steel bridge plates, obviously the latter is a "straight plate." Lawrence Keystone pickups in the former, DiMarzio Twang Kings in the latter. 5-way and 4-way switching, respectively.

Hiker likes this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6 is a banner day for me too - it's when I made my arrival in this world.

LGOberean and dented like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry for your loss Bill.

15. LGOberean

No apology necessary. I didn't take your comment as a "derailing" of the thread, but just an honest contribution. And one I can kinda relate to (though not on that particular calendar date), seeing as how I lost my Dad so young, not so long after you lost your mom, in fact.

And yes, I consider myself to be abundantly blessed, despite pain and loss and adverse circumstances of seemingly devastating proportions, in spite of and beyond all that I deserve.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.