Maureen - A Telecaster Shaped Object

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Early stages probably shouldn't even post this, but what the heck.

The body I got for $60 & $20 shipping on Reverb. Looks like a science experiment gone bad, homemade? Has marks from a Forstner bit on the bottom of the control cavity. I sprayed all the cavities black, looks much better now. The binding looks good though, good job on that but there's stain on it that I'm lightly sanding off.
jrp337pe52pvzzyaax5o.jpeg

The top of the body had streaks of a clear goo on it that wouldn't come off with 409 and a washcloth not sure what that was about. I "sanded" it with a Scotchbrite pad which hid it pretty good and also made the top more matte, which is what I'm going for on this build. Not relic'd per se, more of a used, matte look. The worst thing is the ferrule holes on the back. Not lined up properly but they do go thru the body, and the holes on the top line up with the holes in the bridge, so that's a relief.
IMG_20220629_145716_651.jpg

Electrosocket jack. Only way I roll.

The bridge is notched. Got it from Bridge Works, a tad pricey but it looks great. Came with metal saddles but I'm replacing them with Graph Tech string-saver saddles. I may have to do a bit of sanding / tweaking on the sides of them to make them fit better.
Six individual saddles, that's what I like. I don't like the two-per-string saddle. Heresy!

Nothing about this guitar is gonna be "traditional" it's not gonna be a copy of an early blackguard or any other particular Tele model, (looking at the body should tell you that, lol) it's just gonna be how I want to build a Tele.

The back was a mess as you can see in the pic.
orpp4y1f7cgc1axeieji.jpeg
So I hit it with a couple coats of rattle-can flat black. Dried quick looked pretty good. Then I used a coat of sealer on it which in retrospect may have been a mistake. Shined it up too much. So I guess the Scotchbrite pad will give it a once over to make it more matte.
IMG_20220624_135742_596.jpg

I'm thinking matte black pickguard. The body/finish has too much going on to have a "busy" pickguard on it. Altho I've seen some fantastic looking Tele pickguards on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/shop/STORMGUIT...ame&listing_id=1100807699&section_id=33103571
If I had a solid color body I'd put one of those designs on it.

Control plate, looking at Callaham. I like the modified knob spacing he does. Might just buy the entire pre-built unit from him.

Pickup's, still have not decided. Leaning towards a neck HB or mini HB. Choices, choices.... too many choices.

Neck, maple. Looking now for something not too ridiculously priced. 21 frets, 9.5 radius, medium frets.
I have a set of Grover locking tuners I bought. And I'm going to put an Earvana nut on it. Again, the only way I roll. I can hear it.

Just for laughs thinking of putting on a drop D tuner. I will probably do that.
In a moment of uh.... whatever, was considering a Certano B bender as well, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Not a faithful copy of any particular model of Tele. Not a Hot Rod, not a faux steel, not a roots-o-caster with Teisco p/u's either. we'll see I guess.

cheers!

IMG_20220629_145843_146.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_145756_065.jpg
    IMG_20220629_145756_065.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Those are really unique and interesting looking pickups!

Thanks. That's what attracted me to them, well the bridge p/u anyway.

Then it occurred to me to have a neck p/u with the same diamond oriented pole pieces, he didn't have a set like that so I asked him if he could make me one.

Voila!

The neck p/u is a single coil (faux mini-HB). On a T.S.O. (Telecaster Shaped Object ;-) I like that look more than the standard neck single coil.

Last edited:

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
i loved rosarito when my wife and i went. horseback riding .. puerto nuevo...lobster... wooohoo fun times.

My buddy from Paris, France was in Heaven when he was here. We went to Puerto Nuevo several times. He's a BIG lobster eater. He would get the lobster dinner for like 18 USD at restaurante Neptune. And it's a lot of lobster too.

Told me it's super expensive in Paris and that only rich people can afford it.

Last edited:

Newbcaster

Tele-Holic
My buddy from Paris, France was in Heaven when he was here. We went to Puerto Nuevo several times. He's a BIG lobster eater. He would get the lobster dinner for like 18 USD at restaurante Neptune. And it's a lot of lobster too.

Told me it's super expensive in Paris and that only rich people can afford it.
Dude you are spot on!! The worst was the next morning, about 8 days in of my 2 week stay.

We were hobbling around looking for something that is like a hangover soup...i mean REEEALLY hurting. we were loaded the night b4.

So we stumble in and the lady asks what we want. We just said water. She came back with water beans and rice. we just about chucked. they serve beans and rice with everything...i mean EVERYTHING. even just plain water.

Took about 10 years b4 i could stumble in to a mexican joint for some posole. nothing wrong with beans and rice. its my fave...but hungover and sick... it was the last straw!!!

you know what finally cured us though? time, aspirin, salty water and lots of ceviche and crackers. we stumbled into this bar that served whole pineaples stuffed with ceviche.

we looked like 2 zombies in a room full of freshily minted babies or something. id never seen my wife eat like that b4 or since.

Thats my best story about rosarito. :p)

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Then it occurred to me to have a neck p/u with the same diamond oriented pole pieces, he didn't have a set like that so I asked him if he could make me one.
That was a good design decision, IMHO. Despite the fact that sound is ultimately where the rubber meets the road, aesthetics really do matter overall. Again, IMHO.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Update from Bubba Engineering Inc. - our south of the border workshop reports some progress.... the p/u's arrived yesterday. But we couldn't post any pix 'til after lunch, lol. That's just how we do it here.
photo_26-31.jpg

Three tacos Dorado with picante sauce, those are lime slices in the baggy, a few radishes to cleanse the palate donchaknow, a Tecate cerveza and candy for after. 120 pesos.

Doesn't look too bad. Tools used: A ruler, an awl to mark the corners to cut too, a 1 inch wood chisel and a hammer.
IMG_20220714_152042_939.jpg

Looks mystery meat-ish as far as the wood. Plywood? meh, that's OK I don't care.

A preview.
IMG_20220714_152031_423.jpg

Last edited: