Matchless Amp Club

bohuggabee

TDPRI Member
https://reverb.com/item/13481505-sa...mbo-1990-s-black-tolex-with-grey-grille-cloth

look what came up for sale. saw another in white for sale in japan. a picture of a red one on google.

i dated mine, it is a 96. have an email too from phil jamison with matchless saying he thinks about 25 410 chieftains were ever made.

all these years i've owned my 410, about 11 years now, i've never seen another one, but it seems they are popping up a bit more now.

Last edited:

bohuggabee

TDPRI Member
They are (IMO) great amps. The first time I played through one (1994) I knew I HAD to have it. The local music store had only the one Matchless, though, in a color combination I wasn't attracted to. I immediately drove, 300 miles, to L.A. to see what the dealership, there, had in stock. I found what I was looking for and it turned out to be the most satisfying amp investment I'd ever made. Now that I'm retired, I feel a bit guilty having such a wonderful piece of equipment just sitting in its flight case in my bedroom. I really ought to contact Phil and have it gone over...new filter caps etc.

leave the amp alone if it works. filter caps don't go bad like they used to. the old ones only went bad do to inferior paper that was eaten through over decades of playing. you'd be replacing sampson's golden era work with modern confullary, and almost guaranteed change in tone. they will not replace the caps with the exact same spec. even if a cap reads the same, the tension of the roll can alter tone.. also, every original solder joint matters in vintage amps. it dramatically changes the tone to mess with old ptp soldering that you earn from age n play. it imbalances with the older solder and new or reworked solder. just bad news. you can never get the same clean connection on an old joint from a fresh lead and a fresh surface

Last edited:

bohuggabee

TDPRI Member
92' DC30,Any Idea what it's worth?

they are starting to finally bring what they are worth. my 410 was only $1,500 when i got it, in 2006. if i were to sell it, i'd expect at least $5,000. they bring only around $3,000(which i feel is seriously undercutting for the quality of these amps). it seems that in this market, matchless amps bring around the same price point no matter what you have, unless it is something exceptionally rare. no one really plays them, and matchless has forever stayed in the boutique area, never getting the credit they really deserve, but on the other hand it makes it a cult following, and matchless guys are like a brother hood:twisted:

honestly, i've only met matchless owners on line, and never one in person in the 12 years i've played guitar. i think the price, and unique sound really sets matchless apart from the musicians that try to emulate other's tone rather than finding their own.

tlp123

Tele-Meister
....matchless guys are like a brother hood:twisted:....

Some say the same thing about ham radio.....hello brother

I've got C30, Clubman Reverb, Independance 35, Lightning 1 X 12 Combo with reverb and effects loop.

Matchess are definitely their own thing. Can't ever see parting with any of mine.

tlp123

Tele-Meister
Updated collection.

Q9Im7yM.jpg

hYftIOL.jpg

EwAiGU0.jpg