Matching humbuckers for options

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ReverendRevolver, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

How would I go about figuring out if 2 humbuckers from different companies will play well together?

I'm upgrading my pawn shop mustang. Strongly considering the Duncan p-rails at the neck, flipping the blade toward the neck. I'd like a meaty smooth PAF at the bridge. Both will be able to split the coils, which is theoretically going to allot a middle if the road p90 sound, a kinda thin but usable strat neck sound, a good bridge humbucker, and a way to run the neck stuff without much noise if ran with a half of the bridge.

So, what factors would matter most for this setup? A PAF-ish A5 at the bridge with similar output to the Duncan? do I have to reach out to a custom guy and get something made?

2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Looking at 4 bobbins on 2 installed humbuckers they usually have this orientation for magnetic polarity. If not you can have problem with phase. Out of phase pickup combinations can sound feable when used together. It can be a sound that you like too maybe.

N
    S

S
    N

OR

S
    N

N
    S

3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I found this on a different thread. The measurements on a P-rails neck pup:

Neck Pickup
    Magnet: two Alnico V bars
    Cable: 4-conductor

Mode: humbucking:
    DC Resistance: 12.87k ohms
    Resonant Peak: 4.6KHz

Mode: P-90
    DC Resistance: 7.25k ohms
    Resonant Peak: 3.6KHz

Mode: single-coil
    DC Resistance: 5.60k ohms
    Resonant Peak: 7.0KHz

In humbucking mode, you have 12.87K ohms. That's pretty hot. Typically you would pair a bridge pickup that is a little hotter than the neck. You said you want a PAF style in the bridge. A PAF usually ranges from around 7.5 to 9K ohms. This means it might not be the best pair for your P-rail but there is no way to know other than try it. It might work fine by lowering and raising the neck and bridge pickup heights to find the sweet spot in terms of volume and tone. One good thing about this is the PAF would pair well with the P-Rail when it's in either single coil mode.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd just get some in the same ballpark resistance/hotness wise. Bridge a hotter if anything. Although I've used a Duncan Custom Custom, 14K hot, in the bridge with a '59 in the neck and it wasn't a big deal.... but that guitar had individual volume controls like Gibson... Adjust height accordingly.

ReverendRevolver and Danb541 like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

So, wind direction shouldn't be a factor, right?

Each humbucker is on a 3 way slider for top-double-bottom options, then going to a 3 way pickup selector.
    As long as the north and south aren't facing each other in the middle it should be good?

That's super helpful! I could probably live a full and productive life without the option of both pickups running both coils at once, if I have a good PAF bridge, p90 neck, and useable strat neck options, with noise cancelling options for either neck coil paired with half a paf.
    The goal is options. I know theres better dedicated p90s that fit ina humbucker hole out there, but I only plan on owning one coil splitting guitar, so a nice palette of options is ideal.

Considered this route too, part of why I posted this thread was because I wondered in this. Vineham has a 10.5k whiskey sour that's a hot PAF style thing, Bootstrap says the serrano bridge is ~15k, and Buddha makes them per order, so would have no problem making a >10k A5 psuedo PAF.

That's ordering new, not even looking at used duncans or something. And Buddha is getting adventurous, might be able to negotiate a set with a p-rails equivalent and a Similar output bridge.

At any rate, thank you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  6. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge is a good match for the P-Rails that splits well, too. I use them with Triple Shot rings.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I see two factors you must look at for how well two pickups will work together.

Phase: the two pickups might well be out of phase. If you have a separate ground conductor you can easily swap the other leads to fix that problem.
    Otherwise, you would need to partially disassemble the pickup and flip the magnet.

Matching output:
    This will also be down to personal preference. Typically I like the bridge pickup to have a lot more output than the neck pickup, but others might like both being similar, or the neck being louder.

You'd have to contact the maker to get a good idea of how one pickup might match with another.
    DC resistance only helps if it is the only difference and the pickups are otherwise identical. Different types of coil wire have a different resistance per metre, and certain coil shapes need more wire per turn. And this is without even mentioning the effect of magnets!

Getting both pickups from the same maker would probably solve both issues

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.