Matching headstock Tele’s in 1965/Elvis “Tickle Me” movie

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No string tree, maybe cheap chinese copy (Ha ,ha)

velorex

2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I’m guessing they may have put gaffer tape over the headstock to prevent the Fender logo from showing to avoid copyright/royalty issues.

I don’t know anything about the legal aspects of this, but I managed a bar in the 90’s that had some footage shot there for a scene, and everything that had a logo on it was blacked out by the crew with tape.

You could still tell it was a Budweiser sign, but it didn’t say Budweiser anywhere.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

He's really visibly bored throughout the whole movie, at least the clips I saw.

When I was a kid Elvis movies were on a lot and we used to marvel at how inexplicably bad they were. Who thinks this cheese is cool? Now I look at them and they seem like museum exhibits and kind of great.

"King Creole" is almost good. You can see they didn't know what to do with elvis. song/kiss/fight. It was just too easy.

Stubee likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw this in the theaters in the mid 70's sometime. I had no idea what was going on in the film. I think it was a double bill with Munsters Go Home.

Yeah, that wasn't even Saturday afternoon cable falling asleep on the couch worthy.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Is it actually a matching headstock, or is it an all rosewood neck?

There was a black P Bass with an all rosewood neck that was used by the Tijuana Brass bassist Pat Senatore in a T.V. special. Other than it being a P Bass, it's a dead ringer for the Tele in the Elvis flick.

The rosewood reads as black, and a matching headstock would still show some maple from almost every angle.

I know these Fenders with all rosewood necks were made circa '63...and my gut tells me that's what this Tele is too.

Mike Eskimo and chauncy like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting @Deeve. Been wondering what that movie was. It is my first recollection of going to the drive-in movie at age 5.
    Mom made sandwiches and had dads big coffee thermos full of milk for us. Brother and I brought pillows and blankets for the backseat and fell asleep before the main feature 'Funny Girl'.
    I think we made the right choice.

Stubee likes this.
  7. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

Looks painted to me.

Deeve likes this.
  8. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

So you think this an all rosewood neck? In 1963?

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't know exactly what it is with the information I have (a very low resolution video).

There were indeed some made as early as '63. The Elvis thing is '65, and the Herb Alpert one is '67.

I don't see any maple peeking around the edges, so unless I am missing it, it's either one of the all rosewood necks, which were a known, although rare, factory option, or it's an entirely painted neck, which would be a custom job...which just happens to be exactly the same as the custom job done on the bass that Pat Senatore had two years later...both of which happen to have been played by professional musicians making TV or film appearances. I find the rosewood neck scenario, with the special instruments being either pushed on, or custom ordered by, the productions more likely. Likeliness doesn't prove anything, though. Just a hunch.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    CWP0126 likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The only workable explanation to this lost ancient technology is that aliens built it

Humans were not advanced enough in the 1960s to make such an object

WAKE UP PEOPLE

11. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Very cool! I’ve never heard of the all rosewood necks, besides George Harrison’s guitar which was all rosewood and came later. Thanks for the insight!

12. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

You guys are cracking me up this is one of the most fun of the Presley vehicles.
    Jocelyn Lane and Julie Adams are so easy on the eyes.
    The sound track is made up of late 50s early 60s songs that are actually really good too.

13. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Following this “Paint It Black” thread with bemusement.

Sorry, had to jump in here, Maxvintage. “King Creole” almost good? Come on!

Directed by Michael Curtiz (Hope you’ve heard of him; not close his best by a long shot I’ll grant you, but still has all the telltale Curtiz hallmarks) and starring Walter Matthau, Dean Jagger, Carolyn Jones, and some kid named Elvis. Never saw a Curtiz film I didn’t like - even Elvis couldn’t ruin King Creole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.