Matching headstock Tele’s in 1965/Elvis “Tickle Me” movie

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Possibly the dumbest , most threadbare Elvis flick yet it also has a crazy amount of scantily clad women (he’s working at a weight loss dude ranch - seriously). And, in one musical number where Elvis just picks up a broom or a Jazz bass or something and starts singing, a member of the band is playing a black/rosewood board Tele with a matching black headstock .

Can’t find a clip or a still but - those were a thing ? How did I miss them ? Seen plenty of the other Fender guitars/basses with matching but - not Teles.

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

for a trailer

Yes, the Colonel set a pretty low bar for green-lighting Elvis movie scripts.

Reminds me of an equally improbable Roy Orbison vehicle titled something like "Fastest Guitar in the West" or some like.

Sheesh:rolleyes:

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tickle me Elvis.

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Never saw that one...I do remember one of his movies where he played a blackguard with a Bigsby, and with Gary Crosby faking bass badly to boot. Also that Gibson LG he played in a bunch of his movies....

5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Is it me, or does that look absolute s***?

bender66 likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

No - you are absolutely correct sir. Shyte from top to bottom. The lead actress and the matching headstock Tele are pretty much the only redeeming factors.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Where’s the Tele?

8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, the “leave the bottle” (of milk) was a nice touch. I’ve never heard of this Elvis flick until now.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow... that's about 14 kinds of bad. Plus, the Panhandle Kid gives the guy a Band-Aid at the end.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Well, who would have ever thought Elvis might make a rubbish film?

Tbh that trailer looked like the kind of thing the Monkees or Beatles might be in. He wasn't a great actor

hellopike, Deeve and Stubee like this.
  11. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

I don't post much, and I rarely disagree with Mr. Eskimo, but gentleman, puh-leeze - this is absolutely brilliant! Who knew Elvis could do camp so well? The glass of milk, shooting the silver dollar into four quarters, calling the guy "sister," the Band-Aid. If the whole film is this good, it's a lost classic, matching headstocks or not.

From the trailer: "A singing rodeo rider hires on at an expensive all-women dude ranch and beauty spa. He falls for a pretty fitness trainer who is constantly threatened by a gang who wants her late grandfather's cache of gold hidden in a ghost town."

It's an all-women dude ranch, my friends...expand your minds...

dannyh, 2 Headed Goat, Gibson and 2 others like this.
  12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    You are indeed perceptive and wise...

`

mrbdxmpl likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mister

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Still better than that Lone Ranger tripe.

15. Mike Eskimo

That camp-y old west scene is something Elvis and hot pants imagine as they’re standing in the 1965 ruins of that saloon looking for buried gold in a wall (again - all true) .

This post was just me being surprised at seeing a matching headstock Telecaster because I don’t remember ever seeing one.

16. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Black Tele with black headstock

hemmings, RodeoTex and rze99 like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

That’s it !

Thank you

18. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

A great actor, maybe not. But he was at least a good actor. He had actual talent, so it's been said. The problem was, Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk (that's Corporal Parker's actual name, dontcha know?) was a colossal ass hat. He may have been responsible for making Elvis a "star", but after Elvis got out of the Army, he also single handedly turned Elvis into a laughing stock.

First there were the mediocre movies (with mediocre songs, and Elvis knew they were mediocre, there's outtakes from the recording sessions where you can hear him say so). Elvis was actually offered some real dramatic roles, but Parker unilaterally turned them down. Elvis didn't want to do musicals, there's an interview early on, when he first started talking about doing movies, before Love Me Tender was filmed, where he's asked about it, and he said he wanted to do dramatic films, not musicals.

People snicker when you say "Elvis movie", but it didn't have to be that way. It's only like that Corporal van Kuijk was clueless about the long term viability of Elvis' career.

Oh, and as far as The Monkees, they made their own movie called Head, in 1968, and it seriously trumps most of the pictures Elvis made during the 60's!

BTW, isn't there a movie where he plays a green Burns electric 12 string during one of the musical numbers?

19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Man, Imthought Imknew all of his movies; never heard of that one either. That's bad, even by his movie standards. Lead actress is cute.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder if it is actually a temporary paint cover up of the headstock and decal to prevent some sort of promotional dispute if there was e.g. and agreement with Gibson, or it's a custom build and they didn't want a dispute with Fender.

Hatfield92 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.