1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Matamp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sothoth, Nov 5, 2020.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I know there aren’t a lot of people who play in this genre on TDPRI but if there are any Matamp fans here can someone weigh in on sonic differences between the GT-1 vs GT-200?

I’m leaning towards the GT-1 for the versatility.

I’ve listened to a few online shootouts but I’m really not sure the YouTube videos have the audio quality sufficient to tell me what really distinguishes them. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve recently become somewhat of an amp experimentation slut and want something sort of similar to a Sunn but don’t want to go on the vintage market.

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

AFAIK, Matamp were Orange amps for Scotland and Northern England, IIRC...

-tbln.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The GT-200 is a 200 Watt bass amp. It does low. For Kyuss/C-o-C, it'll rattle floors half a mile away. Did you typo and mean the GT-20?
    The GT-20 does 60's rock to perfection. Matamp claim 20 Watts RMS for it, but that is 20 Watts at audiophile levels of distortion. They're Matamp Watts, which are Yorkshire Watts. Strong in the arm and thick in the head.
    The GT-1 is a more versatile amp, but it's 100 Matamp Watts, switchable to 50. It's 70's rock. Simplistic, I know, but describing a Matamp is tricky. They're what they are.

Give 'em a ring and see if you can arrange a site tour when the restrictions ease. They're a very personable company.

4. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Thanks for the replies!

Actually you’re right I made an error on the model, I meant GT-120 vs GT-1 so 100 vs 120 watt. Sorry for that. I realize it’s not quite apples-apples but it’s not 2x either.

I was sort of basing my question after watching this YouTube video:

However the guy gives a description of how they sound but my issue is that I never find that amps sound in person like they do on YouTube. I’m not asking for a lot from you all, just maybe some validation of what I may be hearing online or something that might deter me from believing what I’m hearing.

To me these don’t sound like modern Orange amps, TBH. Esp the “clean” sound has a very earthy and lovely sound that I totally love and I like the doom tones as well. Or maybe they sound like Orange amps but just not ones that I’m familiar with. Either way I’d prefer a Matamp to an Orange I guess.

I don’t know if they have studios outside the UK but I’m in California and have never seen a Matamp in person and can’t imagine travel to the UK being possible for another year or more so I’d probably need to take the risk sight unseen. Having gotten better at researching them I’m a bit more confident that one of those two will get me what I’m after. It might be that I’d be completely happy with either, too, and I’m just enjoying the discussion. :)

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Matamp built Orange Amps originally, Orange was just a storefront. They split in '71 when Mat Mathias of Matamp didn't want to go into mass production. Matamp took over manufacturing Orange amps again from '94-99.

tubelectron likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Matamp amps are their own thing. They plough a furrow with few others. They're astonishingly well built too. They're a few miles down the road from me, and yes, I did drop in on spec to see if they wanted a solder monkey. They weren't hiring, but did make a delicious mug of tea for me.

The sound they produce is rich, complex, and with the larger amps, deafening. They're respected for a reason.

ElJay370 likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Instant amp to seek out..thanks..on a drop tune kick & sure related to that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.