1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mastodon guitarist and Gibson Split

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cntry666, Oct 19, 2017.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Aside from it's content...

The writer of the 'article' didn't even bother to reach out to Gibson for a comment (which they would likely have declined to make).

Given that, it wouldn't even pass muster as an 'article' over on the gossip site TMZ.

So.....

Starshine likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Lemme see if I got this right, guy's complaining because nobody "cares" what gauge strings he likes, and the guitar is shipped and when it arrives somewhere its not in tune? What if it's shipped to Anchorage Alaska, or Death Valley, should it be in tune when it gets there? Don't those things have some kind of robot tuners? Maybe the battery was low. I would like to "care" about some of this, but I gotta go get some blood work done this morning and I can't have any coffee until I'm finished. Maybe I'll "care" more after I've had a cup of Joe.

troy2003 and ndeli55 like this.
  3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I did come off as complaining, but I think he was saying that ESP inquiring about those things were a surprise. His colorful language was probably flavored by the still bad taste in his mouth. I'm not defunding the guy, I know very little about him, but I could imagine the surprise of vastly varied treatment from two different companies.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Agreed, it might be in bad taste. But Bill kelliher is a true guitar nerd and a very obsessive one at that. From every component in the guitar, to pedals and amps, he wants a say in all of it. He had alor of input in his signature Friedman amps as well. I can see him being upset that Gibson treated him poorly, he grew up like a lot of us lusting and pining after Gibson, let alone having your name on one. Then that day comes and it's a nightmare of corporate bs. He probably should have been more tactful in his switch to ESP (taking a Gibson non reverse firebird signature shape with him), but I can understand his frustration. He probably didn't think an article like this would be that big or wants to offer public criticism to motivate Gibson.

fidopunk and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  5. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

My only complaint with Gibson is the high prices and the poor quality control.

6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I know. I was just poking fun. I forgot to put a joke emoji after my quip. :oops:

kidmeatball likes this.
  7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's good to be the King...

Fred Rogers likes this.
  8. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Other than that, they are Great!!! :D

In all honesty, my Gibsons are very nice, high quality guitars.

Starshine, Fred Rogers and Bones like this.
  9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a 2016 Les Paul Traditional T about 8 months ago. Purchased it based on a group of photos on AMS's site. It was $1,968.00. Easily the best Les Paul that I have ever owned and the best guitar that I have ever owned in terms of fit, feel and finish. Yes I put a set of antiquities in it, because they are my prefered pickups, but the stock pickups were pretty decent. It's also has an awesome top on it. How this is over priced compared to any of the Fender screwed on neck guitars like the 52 AV that isn't even the original color is beyond me. I love my teles, but a Gibson Les Paul is a work of art by comparison. Sure, $12k for a Slash model is insane, but the traditional line is a great value.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Similar to what I posted in another thread on this same subject, why would Gibson care?
    I would venture that sales of his model is immaterial to Gibson's total sales. It's Mastodon. It's an artist of little stature.
    It sounds like he got his jimmies rustled and has sour grapes.
    The last Gibson I purchased was a Southern Jumbo two years ago. Excellent in every way. Prior to that I bought an SG in 2013 which also was top notch.
    I would buy an ES335 but don't care for the big body and a 339 is not the same guitar.
    Gibson has debt issues and management issues. We know this. Most of the buying public doesn't.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

if you tune that low string gauge is a big deal.

bender66 likes this.
  12. cyclopean

mastodon is a pretty big deal in the metal world.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Gibson's problems also come from the Harvard business school educated CEO/wizard that runs the company ignoring what has now legendarily become a two word warning for corporate America : "New Coke" (don't mess with something iconic). "2015 Les Paul" is thrown on to that pile.

If you look back and the owner of the bridge has already set it on fire...:eek:

Hopefully there are enough of YOU (those able to pop for a 335 at their ludicrous prices*) to keep Crazy Henry and his crew afloat.

* The "carefully crafted/hours of hand work" reason falls apart when you realize that an Epiphone Dot has just as much/just as little "craftsmanship" involved in it's production. Materials ? Of course the Gibson version has better ingredients but, how they're made ? Exactly the same.

Mr. Lumbergh and bender66 like this.
  14. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Well, that wouldn't be very "METAL" of him, would it?

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have never heard of mastodon... this is really going to affect my life... :rolleyes:

16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

What's that saying about rats and sinking ships?

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yes the prices have become absurd. In fact, if they were more reasonable I might have been more inclined to consider the 335 despite my reservations about the size, comfort.
    As for your last statement, you could say the same for Fenders overseas guitars. There quite a difference in labor costs. That's why iPhones are built in China. (That and we don't skilled-trained workers here). Regardless, i've played Epi's and they are better than i expected but, IMO, I still think the Memphis models are much better.

18. cyclopean

letting other musicians know what they're getting into is important.

DoubleAA and Grux like this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

For someone that is making it pretty well to publicly bash a company that gave him free gear(when he could've gone out to buy his own) is a bit tasteless. Not a lot of Metal fans these days compared to early days, so why would Gibson commit to putting his choice of strings and tuning on a guitar for the masses?
    Are owners really not able to change the tuning or change string gauges on their Gibson guitars? This is just a bunch of BS.

Management problems at Gibson? I believe that.
    Customer Service problems at Gibson? Probably the same as other places. You might lose it if you had to deal with some people out there these days. Some will complain about the littlest things imaginable.
    Quality Control problems with Gibson? Some say yes, some say no and I don't know. I do know that I can't afford a Gibson or a Fender so none of this matters to me. I would hate to see a company like Gibson go out of business and I hope that they can overcome any problems they are having with management.

cabra velha and Starshine like this.
  20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

They're not heavy, they're your brother.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.