Mastering plugins

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by robert donithan2, Jun 13, 2019.

1. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Holic

I'm getting close to finishing a project( or just need something else to fool around with)and was wondering if there is one single plugin that I could demo($99 range) that makes the rough sounding project sound like a CD or the fm stereo? Like a mastering plugin. I have tweaked effects eq compression etc. but the semi finished project still sounds live or raw...any help?

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

I've been using IK's T-Racks for years and had phenomenal results. Super-flexible, good components, and the ability to add new components for a decent price as you begin to master the mastering process. Bobby Owsinski's book "Mixing And Mastering With T-RackS" helped me get going on the right track. For $149, you can't go wrong. But remember, you have to work at it to reap the benefits — it's easy to make a mess. You can get help on this forum if you're not shy about posting your work.

codamedia and robert donithan2 like this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

- Variety of Sound Density MKIII and ThrillseekerXTC : https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/ (ThrillseekerLA is awesome, too. It's an LA-2A clone.)
    - Limiter of your choice.

All free.

Density MKIII has a mid/side processing setting that I love. It can really fatten your track up and give control of its apparent width. ThrillseekerXTC is a semi-parametric EQ that I have found is good for finding the resonant frequency of the kick drum and focusing it a bit. The limiter is for controlling peaks and smashing dynamic range, if that's your thing.

stinkey and robert donithan2 like this.
  5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

What Woody said above. I too use T-racks, it's a nice tool, not perfect but certainly worth the $$$ for what it provides. Mastering is an art , done by special people with special ears. We can't bypass that.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    robert donithan2 likes this.
  6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Thats a nice set of plugins and absolutely free... thanks for the tip.
    I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

there's a button there to download the entire lot in just one go. Its called VOS Plugins Complete...

thanks again...

7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Yeah I would just download the whole batch. The ones I mentioned are the ones I use for the mastering stage, though.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry, but mastering is a lot more than running a rough mix through a plugin. Proper mastering puts a "little shine" on an already "great sounding mix" and assures that the levels meet the standards for the delivery target (eg: Streaming media, radio, broadcast, CD, etc... all have specific standards)

Mastering is a series of techniques used with basic tools. Those little "mastering suites" are OK... and might guide you through the process, but it is best to learn what is really going on under the hood.... and more importantly, why you are doing it.

Exactly... there are no shortcuts. The process needs to be understood before it gets applied.

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Hopefully most already know that a Mastering Engineer , before he or she even begins, already know what they want it to sound like. They don't pick a sound at the end of the process. The tools are a MEANS to the end. The thing about plug-ins and Bobby Owsinski's book , as mentioned above, is that it is a lesson , a learning experience, one way or the other. We may just learn something along the way ! thats not a bad days' work.

suthol likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

The robots are getting closer:

Izotope 8 mastering assistant...

11. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

"Open the pod door, HAL!"

12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I'm committed to doing it myself.
    Waves L3 16 is the top of the line, an don sale right now.
    Most people will find the L2 easier to work with.
    I know I do.
    It is helpful to read the Bob Katz pamphlet, learn to read the meters and displays, maybe get a Dorrough meter.

codamedia likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Don't fall prey to the two most common errors of home/project recording.
    1. Tracking: That's good enough, I'll fix it in the mix.
    2. Mixing: That's good enough, I'll fix it with the master.
    When #1 and #2 are done properly, no fixing is required. Just a series of minor adjustments to glue it all together. You want to avoid "corrective" mastering as much as possible. The mix should sound fabulous to begin with... just leave enough room for the compression/limiting to do it's job (don't squash it in the mix).

Mastering should not require anything more than gentle compression, gentle use of a linear phase EQ, limiting. What tools you choose for those doesn't really matter, it's more important to know how to use them and what you are trying to accomplish with them.

14. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I'm just a hobbyist who belongs to some forums and other social media pages and can't believe that I hear this SO often! I spent a whole weekend once just messing with mic placement on my two amps. Pretty simple concept to get it right at the source. This is almost as bad as, "What plugin do I use for good vocals?"

Then again, it is kind of satisfying saying, 'you can't polish a turd.'

M

studio and codamedia like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.