Masterbuilt prices are insane!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The golf industry is about a 2.5 Billion dollar a year industry. In the last twenty five years, with literally billions of dollars spent on development, tooling, and manufacturing of golf clubs, the average handicap has decreased by 2.1 strokes, and probably at least half of them are lying.

There is a huge market of junk that is supposed to increase your swing speed to that rivaling tour players, that pretty much does nothing at all for the average golfer. If he swings faster he will only hit the ball further into the lake or woods. I have owned a bunch of guitars in my life, a number which I am actually ashamed of admitting to. The one thing I have found about them is that they are pretty much all the same. Which is also true of golf clubs.

Brucesu, beninma and Greggorios like this.
  2. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Holic

Aaahhh...the old HD -28 fellas. I had one that plagued me to get an HD-28V. We got him in two new ones, which he didnt like. Then, we took in a used one so I called him up, sniffing a sale. He came in, tried it, then hummed and hawed and went away. We transferred the guitar to another branch not long after that.

The geezer kept on coming in, corking like mad about that HD, how it was 'the One'. He disappeared off the radar again and I eventually found through the other branch that he finally put his wallet instead of his mouth out and bought the 2nd hand HD.

As to the fella in the guitar shop, I've known him for years and was not offended by him trying to punt me Mr Spend's Lowden. But I do agree with you that guitars of that calibre are best punted on off the shop floor and that was the modus operandum when I worked in that industry.

Furthermore, I once saw a punter take a guitar off a hook without asking and then stumble and body-slam several Yammies on the lower levels. How he managed to hold on to the Martin he had his hand on without damaging it was beyond me.

The only thing I don't like about 'off floor' deals is that it reminds me of a bunch of shady fux who traded under the name of Music Ground. The shid they got away with is legendary.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Thinking about it won't get you there. Did you read my post?

"..until you play it".

At the end of the day it's how it plays, how it sounds and how it makes you feel.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don’t like the price, don’t buy it.

t guitar floyd and Mike Simpson like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is the product a comment on retailers?
    Or is it more about wealth in modern society?
    When individuals have that much budgeted for a bolt on reissue guitar, it seems everyone else start to question their intelligence!

6. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. If I win the lotto I think I’d get one. Assuming it played well.

7. telemnemonics

The number of times I've worked on a guitar that a customer already owned, and they were amazed at how good their guitar actually was, makes me pretty certain that a bolt on Fender can be made as good as is possible for around $1000.

So IMO the extra $6500 is for the relic finish and the tech setup work.

Given that a factory will produce guitars with slight variation between samples in the $1000 range, I would allow a little more $$ to ensure consistency.
    Or a buyer has to go to an actual guitar shop and try a few.
    And maybe then pay a qualified tech to interview them and set it up for their playing style.

For $7500 does the master builder go to the buyers town and do an interview followed by a personalized setup?

Richie-string and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. telemnemonics

Can we who don't like the price still make fun of those that do?
    Everybody makes fun of somebody!

If buyers of $7500 reissue Telecasters never make fun of anybody, I'd have to give them a big two thumbs up for being better human beings than me.
    But I'm guessing, in my presumptive self righteous morality, that they act just as superior in one way or another as those of us who point the finger at guitar buyers who pay $7500 for a beat up looking Tele!

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

In 50 years when all wood is on the cites list and Squier bullets are $8k people will look back on this thread and say, man I should have bought a bunch of those $7500k masterbuilts. :)

I bought a small bottle of tru oil a couple days ago and noticed it had a prohibited from sale in California label on it.:confused:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Shuster, nomadh, Brucesu and 2 others like this.
  10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think fellows like the one you're talking about end up at the shop of the guy local to me. When the first five HD-28vs sound like HD-28v's, and don't just blow them out of their seat with three dimensional dopamine rush inducing sound, then they start going up the ladder. Some of the high end saw (to me) are bigger and clearer than a typical martin, but because they're voiced that way.

I love bourgeois guitars. They are big and clear in person with great note separation. I'm sure they're voiced by the owner that way (I understand he's still doing all of the tops, but I'd suspect the rest are done by someone else). When I recorded two small bits with mine and with another less good guitar, the one that wasn't that great in person sounded great recorded, because it had nice balance and a complex sound without being muddy. That sort of burst my bubble. One would take the bourgeois to every live jam over the second, though - it was a much better live guitar that you didn't have to rip on to get it to produce.

At the current equivalent of $4500 or so, it wouldn't have registered as much more than lower-mid at the local dealer here. He does have the same make, but often the one offs with odd wood that go for double. And he sells them without being the lowest price, or often even close. He's good at what he does - and I don't know what it is that he does, but he's good at it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Holic

I'll bite.

I have a Squier VM Active IV bass that cost £240 that sounds better than most actives at double the price.

Then again, I just tore out a Squire Affinity's guts and put in a whole new circuit. What I will say about that guitar is that the hardware, as we all know, is ****e. The woods and finish are actually ok.

12. telemnemonics

That's all fair enough, but can you identify what was better about those relics?
    And can you identify what was wrong with the vintage original that made it inferior to the CS relics?

Seems there are things players identify as making a guitar better, many of which involve how the guitar feels.
    Silky smooth finish on the neck and rolled fingerboard edges have become signs of a superior guitar, but those signs don't cost $X000.00.

IME/ IMO much of what a player feels as making a guitar better is created in the setup process, though buffing a sticky finish to a delightful feel might also be done in the finishing shop.

The other part I would say creates value is wood selection, and it's likely that the CS chooses better seasoned wood for the neck, leading to greater stability.

Really though, that's about it!

At some point the price reflects the celebrity status of the "master" builders.

We have Abigail and Tadeo to thank fort that I guess...

Richie-string and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. telemnemonics

Martin does seem to manage to hit their target sound.
    So we have a Martin sound.
    Many love the Martin sound.
    OK so there are different sounds, yet they are in the range of Martin sounds.
    I've never liked any of the Martin sounds.
    So any Martin that I like would have to be a bad one!

I mean this may sound idiotic, but if a company cranks out "great sounding" guitars for a century, and the most discriminating players have to try hundreds of them to find a good one, then those good ones really are the ones that fall outside the target sound; IOW the bad ones.

beninma likes this.
  14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes , it is the only way to get what you want . Look to the left and you will see that reality . I am grateful to have that opportunity . Granted , I ordered this back in 2006 , but a Masterbuilt is the only way I could get it yet today .

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We kind of look at the price of things from our own financial situation perspective. There may be a few on here, but I'm pretty sure the larger part of the forum regulars are not millionaires. During the course of my work, I saw many people who were very wealthy. Stuff we'd sweat they thought nothing of. Several of the people I knew during that period didn't go shopping for a new automobile when they needed one, they instead called a dealer they trusted and had them deliver a car to them. No driving, no haggling, just bring the car around, and pick up the check at the office.

One fellow I am still acquainted with who before his retirement ran a statewide family owned company here in California would stipulate when he bought new vehicles for he and his brother that they were identical in the way they were equipped. If one had something that the other didn't it had to be corrected before delivery. He was not being a snob, he was trying to be fair to his brother and making sure that he was treated equally in every way.

A good friend of mine who is a wealthy farmer bought a new behemoth Cadillac convertible, a 74 I think. He bought on a whim, and never drove it. It sits on blocks all year long in a darkened storage shed on the farm. Once a year, it's is brought out, detailed, and trailered to town where it is driven in a local annual harvest parade. The last time I looked at the car, about ten or twelve years ago, it had 29 miles on the odometer.

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not to the best off my knowledge , but Greg Fessler spoke and discussed the specifics of what I wanted before it was built . It actually arrived with an acceptable setup . Not too bad when you consider that I am left handed and Greg is not . Now , back to the regularly scheduled bashing .

t guitar floyd and Greggorios like this.
  17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think the ones who have to try 100 aren't looking for a typical martin sound. I had a dark one (a D-28), but played some HD-28s to follow it and they were balanced and not overly strong and not weak. If Martin started to scallop their guitars more radically or make them thinner and harder sounding to be louder, then they would need to be reset more quickly and they'd sound different (and then people would complain about that).

My first ever decent acoustic was much stronger sounding than a typical new martin (it was an old tacoma-made washburn with satin finish), and it sort of ruined me. Bourgeois is sort of like that guitar with better workmanship (the washburn came straight from the factory with really high action past fret 5 - it should've been reset, but I didn't know that at the time, and at the princely sum of $699 new with a hard case, that would've seriously ruined the economics of the purchase) and more refined sound.

I've realized that the bourgeois sound is the one I'm looking for - balance at different volumes and the harder you play, the louder it sounded, but it sounded the same. It just didn't sound that big on a mic where you couldn't hear its volume and the clarity sounded more like transparency.

Most people with acoustics - this could be a signature line - who are looking for a real boomer would be better served spending their effort finding one that's playable of any decent profile and concentrating on their playing. That was me when I was younger. Now I don't have an expensive acoustic guitar. I didn't play the bourgeois enough, and at a decade old, it had bellied some and needed a neck reset. Not a big deal, but someone else who will actually play it so that's worth doing now owns it. 99.5% of my hours are on electrics.

18. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

I went to Emerald City Guitars looking for a master built guitar from Eric Daw (pinup Guitars). His 52 style tele was definately amazing, and it was only 2k. I couldn’t justify buying a 2k guitar and the neck shape was a little too thick for my hands.

D6EE4CD5-FB95-4F21-8A2F-19A046E00715.jpeg

Then I saw this...

DBEAEE4F-7E80-4726-9677-3131D8BB578A.jpeg

Only 168k...that 9k master built is cheap compared to this bad girl!

I finally saved up for a tele and got a Von K tele for 1450 last night on Reverb. I’m sure he is a master at what he does too!

4D15499A-D8DE-44FD-BF9B-35FF3B1F143B.jpeg

19. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

buy a nocaster relic for 2 grand. problem solved.

20. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I may be short on sleep, but when I saw the tag on the 1950, I thought at first that it said "brainwasher".

I like the $2k version. The difference between that and the fender is probably mostly cache.

Brucesu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.