Massage therapy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by playforfun, Jun 15, 2021.

1. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

Ok I know this may sound weird but hear me out. We are all getting older carrying amps, guitars, pedalboards, PA systems in and out of bars after working all day then playing 4-5 hour gigs. I'm not in great shape but not as bad as some lol. I have found massage therapy at least twice a month has really helped with all the little aches and pains that come with age. Yeah I know I could start an exercise routine but when would I have time to get on tdpri... I mean play guitar?

Big_Bend, richiek65, dented and 5 others like this.
  2. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for sharing with the class.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I'm here to help. My good deed for the year is finally done.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

After a 15-year bout with paralysis and pain, I've been working the joints and muscles for a couple of hours a day. I trade off throughout the day, massage and guitar playing.

The effectiveness of this process has been wonderful for me. It has been so effective, that I wonder if other guys wouldn't experience good results as well. I should remind everyone that the pain or discomfort on a particular area of the body, can be due to tightness in another area. It takes some experimentation to find what works. YouTube is full of videos about stretching, so you can pick and choose what you want.

5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mindful of our last unfortunate experience w/ wound-care thread, let's limit the shares to describing what we're doing and not recommending for anyone else . . .
    In my case, I've been trying to ease back pain and increase circulation by walking to work and doing cardio-related work-out @ the gym in the basement of my office.
    Recently (this morning) in-person circuit training has resumed.
    Hoping for the best - I've never been a gym rat, but getting stronger may be my only choice, if I don't wanna be couch-bound.
    Peace - Deeve

playforfun likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Massage therapy and Chiropractic are things that either people find great relief with or none at all. It has always amazed me how results and opinions can vary so widely, but they sure do.

For me, neither has ever helped in the least and has actually made things worse on occassion. Yet, for others it is almost like a miracle.

I don't know if it is determined by our own psyche or on actual medical benefits, but if it works for you, then you should utillize it often.

I still remeber decades ago suffering from arch pain getting ready for the DC marathon. My physician neighbor suggested that I try some rigid arch supports. I slipped it into my running shoe and ran with it for 2 weeks. It was a little painful at first, but became really comfortable later and the arch pain was gone for good. The funny part was that I had actually inserted the arch supports upside down. The support wasn't really the miracle cure as it wasn't even used correctly, but the end result was the same. I kind of view massage and chiropractic in the same vein.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

100%. Make sure you let them work out your lower arms, that's what does the work when you play. Hurts but it helps.

playforfun likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Who else is thinking what I’m thinking.....

Massage therapy eh....

9. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is her name Bunny??

Fretting out and tery like this.
  10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

No appointment needed .

[​IMG]

drlucky and Fretting out like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great stuff.... nothing better... go for it!

Big_Bend and tery like this.
  12. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

My job requires me to sit behind a desk all day and sometimes into the night. If I don't get up periodically and take a walk and stretch during the day, my back will really start hurting.

I went to a chiropractor who also does massage and it really helped. YMMV.

13. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I had a previous employer that had an onsite fitness center. One of the perks was a massage therapist that came in every other Wednesday. She charged 10 bucks for 10 minutes. I got a 20 minute session for 20 bucks. It was my treat to myself and it really helped my anxious mind relax. It was nothing too fancy, just a nice deep tissue back massage through clothing. She would play some relaxing ambient music though to add to the experience. On one occasion I mentioned to her that I felt a jolt of pain in my hamstring every now and again. She normally only worked above the waist, but after my mention, she worked the back of my thigh and found a tight spot of muscle. She applied pressure to the thigh muscle while moving my knee through its range of motion. I never felt the pain again!

drlucky and getbent like this.
  14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I take care of my feet. Every 6 weeks or so I go to a nail salon and they will give you a foot bath and foot massage and lower leg massage. They exfoliate your callouses or any skin build up. Many men go in for this. You can get a pedicure if you don't or can't take care of your nails, even fungal nails. After the massage it feels like I'm walking on sponges. It costs me about 30.00 every time I go. Totally worth it.

drlucky and getbent like this.
  15. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly!

I've been getting therapeutic massages off and on for about 10 years now and I have found them to be extremely helpful with managing joint pain. I used to have terrible plantar fasciitis, knee pains, ankle pains, wrist pains, much more. I thought I would never be able to go backpacking again. Massage has given me a second lease on life, with many more years to stay physically active and free of pain.

I cannot recommend therapeutic massage highly enough... along with daily stretching too.

playforfun, dented and getbent like this.
  16. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Tele-Meister

I've been having bouts of sciatica for 20 years or so. Had the worst one a few years ago, back of my left leg felt like it had been ripped open for nearly a week. Long story short, I got a TENS unit and haven't had a attack last more than a day since. Really helps with the pain and tension so regular movement is possible.

playforfun and getbent like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

When I read your posts, I smile! I am so happy for you and I can tell you are taking care of yourself and that is awesome!

Also, when you post about wanting to be single, I cheer! I think you are doing everything right and I'm very very happy for you... Good job man! So many could benefit from the things you are doing if they'd give it a shot.

Being free and growing your own way and just living well, it is not just fun to do, it is fun to witness!

Greg70, drlucky and Big_Bend like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.