Marty Stuart & Superlatives

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vgallagher, Nov 1, 2019.

1. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Great show last night in Knoxville. They played and sounded great and Marty is such a great front man. All the guys got a turn at being in the spotlight and you could tell they were having a great time playing to a sold out house at the Bijou.

Marty had his b-bender of course and gets the best sounds out of it. Kenny was playing a Brad Paisley tele modified with a b-bender. Plenty of twanging going on. They played a bunch of acoustic based stuff off of his Pilgrim recording and all the tunes you'd expect.

Been wanting to see him for many years.. marty stuart.JPG

2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Ive seen em twice, cousin Kenny was playing a partscaster with a strat pup at the neck. What a show both times. Glad you enjoyed. kenny_cover.jpg

3. Stackabones

Stackabones Tele-Meister

Kenny is a real cool player.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!
    They’re all brilliant!

Teleguy61 and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  5. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

I am jealous! I have been a Marty Stuart fan for decades now and still have not seen him live. He does not come around my neck of the woods in the Pacific Northwest very often. Still hoping though. So much history in those guitars of Marty’s.

6. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They'll be here in Asheville Sunday night. While I will miss them this time through, Marty and the Superlatives are one of the best night's of music you could ever want to see/hear. Love those guys. Comsummate players and entertainers.

- Bob

guitrr likes this.
  7. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Lucky devil!

8. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I saw Kenny at Roberts in Nashville last year playing a bunch of Patsy Cline songs. He was killing it with a silver face Princeton Reverb and a tele!

9. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

I have been fortunate to open lots of shows for Marty for years.....since back around 1988. Great guy, great player, and really loves the history of the music.

I have played Clarence a few times. HEAVY guitar! But it sounds like no other. He loves SF Fenders. Now days it is smaller stuff, mainly a Deluxe. But, back in the day, it was TWO 100W SF Twins blowing hard.

Kenny is a great player. His work with McBride and the Ride was very tasty.

I remember playing many shows with Marty when he had Ray Flacke on guitar. Talk about a guitar clinic!!! I got some private one-on-one lessons from Ray before showtime often. I could not have dreamed of a better guitar education!

Good times. I've worked with his wife Connie Smith a few times. She's a real class act too.

Glad you got to see Marty.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    tonytrout, KWal, Stubee and 12 others like this.
  10. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

It's cool that they're still around.

vgallagher likes this.
  11. DLReed

DLReed TDPRI Member

I'm glad you posted this. I used to laugh when my mom and stepdad would listen to Marty as well as Dwight. Not laughing now!

guitrr and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Hey, I'm only about an hour from Asheville, NC. Love coming into the big city sometimes haha.

13. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

That is a Floyd Cassista tele, which really is just a partscaster. He also put together one that Guthrie Trapp ended up owning and is his favorite guitar and has amazing mojo and tone, with MIM tele pickups.

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of Floyd Cassista had to look it up some of it looks cool there’s a guitar they call the “More Paul”

Classic

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Correct, Kennys guitars are custom made by Floyd Cassista . not off the shelf Fenders, NOT a Fender Brad Paisley model. Neck plate pull Benders typical of the Glasser design, but who can say without actually asking him !

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Hey! If you can't find something off of the rack that suits your style, parts casters are the way to go. You get everything you want in a guitar.

TeleTown likes this.
  17. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I was walking down Broadway in Nashville a few years ago and Kenny walked out from playing at Roberts. He sat down on his amp and waited for his ride to come around. I've seen Marty & The Superlatives and they put on an awesome show.

TeleTown and guitrr like this.
  18. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

If you get a chance to see Chris Scruggs play electric guitar and flat steel, do it. You will not be disappointed.

Kenny says Chris is the best guitar player in the Superlatives, and he might just be right.

Sax-son, baiff, guitrr and 2 others like this.
  19. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That performance at RWW was amazing! I do like Kenny's playing but I love what Chris plays in the video. Rachel Hester has a great voice. I'm going to have to dig around and find some more of this style. Can you suggest any current bands? I know Hot Club Of S.F. does some western swing.
    BTW, I saw Marty and the Superlatives a while back in Folsom. Took my wife and we had a blast. They were so good!
    Thanks for posting the video.

20. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Great thread. I also enjoy Marty's interviews and the articles about him. I love players with that kind of depth and integrity, who delves so deeply into music yet never becomes conceptual and tedious about it. He's a real artist and professional and so committed to the whole enterprise -- instruments, traditions, players, fans, builders. Thank god for people like this. On the other hand, a whole lot of so-called country "artists" are just cashing in with style without substance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.