1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marty Stuart at the Crystal Palace.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 19, 2018.

1. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Saw Marty and The Superlatives last year, and I agree with everything you wrote. I was nothing more than a distant casual Marty fan, but had stumbled across their Way Out West release and was knocked out. My wife knew nothing of them and went along as a good sport, noting that the average age of concert-goers in the lobby was "walks with a walker". All I can add is that it turned into the best night of concert music either of us had experienced in ages. The musicianship, the sound, the easy-going riff with the audience, and the general level of prowess was just incredible. Two new fans, here.

-Bob

Chicago Matt, pdcorlis and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

My wife and I saw Marty Stuart and the Superlatives last year in SLC. Interesting story, our hotel was just a couple blocks from the venue, and we found ourselves with a couple hours to kill. I tell my wife, "Let's wander down there and see what we can see." Well, the venue had a side-door/load-in door open and soundcheck was happening. I walked down to the door and poked my head in for a second, just long enough to see Cousin Kenny on stage warming up (my wife wouldn't dare walk down there that far). I walked around the tour van, but nothing. So...discouraged, we started walking back to the hotel. Well, we didn't even make it 10 steps and who walks up? I saw him at the end of the block, walking our way with several shopping bags in his arms. I turn to my wife: "Holy ****e! There's Marty Stuart." Now, I'm a fan of his but not as big a fan as she is. She tries to about-face, but I hold her firm and we approach him. He's in acid wash jeans (yeah!), sneakers, a t-shirt, not made up, right. But I approach cautiously. My wife is freaking right the F out! "Mr. Stuart, my wife and I are huge fans. Your song "Kiss me, I'm gone" was playing on our first date (not true, but you know sometimes you gotta stroke the ego to get what you want). Can we get a picture together?" He said no, which was disappointing, and perhaps kind of a diva, dikk think to do, BUT at the same time, I understand that he might not want that pic of him dressed down all over social media, etc. Which it would have been 30 seconds later. So he said no, I wished him well, and told him we looked forward to the show that evening. Just talking to him like that was a thrill for my wife. And he put on a good show that night. And no, there was no inspirational "This goes out to a fabulous couple" rendition of "Kiss Me." I'm sure he forgot about that meeting two minutes later. It was still cool though. Just not as cool as it could have been.

william tele likes this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yeah buddy

he'd've been very gracious about that picture if you'd asked for it in the greeting line after his show, and it's my guess he was gracious as possible in declining your request with his arms full of groceries

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes! When the fellow is working and provides the kind of accessibility that Marty does after shows it's understandable that his free minutes should be free....but I also understand the desire to get "that" pic. I'm not sure any fan base of any artist has been allowed to touch an instrument more than the those that have come into contact with "Clarence". I think that shows where Marty's heart is...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Hey I totally agree with both of y'all. His decline of the pic is completely understandable, given the number of possible ways he could have said no, he definitely was nice enough about it, and his answer of no does NOT diminish or tarnish his reputation for me. And it was a great show, one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Went to the L.A. date at the Troubador the other night, and would urge any of you not familiar with Deke (I'm a fan) to check out him and his various bands all over YouTube.

As for Marty and the boys, apart from all the superlatives (See what I did there?) I could bestow on their performance, let me just share that I have never, ever heard a 12-string Rickenbacker sound as good in anyone's hand as it did in Cousin Kenny's, rhythm and lead -- a very different tone that what we Tele fans are used to, and one I would like to be hearing right now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I noticed but forgot to mention what Cousin Kenny did with that 12 string, it is just unbelievable. I think one of these days Kenny is just going to be transformed into a Jedi Knight. Force it is that is strong in that one.

8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

does anyone have any video or know a link to video of that 12 string stuff? I am crazy about 12-strings these days, and you guys have got me curious and wanting to know more!

9. JimDiGritz

JimDiGritz TDPRI Member

Huh, is he playing up front alongside Benteke?

English Football fans will get this...

I'll get my coat.

Toto'sDad and TheOneFatGuy like this.
  10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I missed Marty the last time they were in Renfro Valley- I really want to catch them live. As I saw on Deke's FB posting, he was driving his old Cadillac, riding point for the bus!
    Thanks TD.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

He mentioned he was driving his old Caddie in the show, I thought it was just part of the comedy routine, but at the same time...

12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Check out YouTube clips of Marty's tune "Time Don't Wait" performed live (there are several), like this one:

But, here's the thing: at the show I saw last week, Kenny's Ric tone was not that delicate "Byrds jangle" like in the clip above; there was a lot more hair on it, and that overdriven tone cut through with tremendous force, a lot more akin to what you hear Peter Buck doing with a Ric on REM's record, "Monster" (but in a rootsy, "Americana" context).

13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks Mr. Talent. I'm gonna have to go back and listen to REM too! Just the other day (over here in Holland) the TV showed the Beatles movie Hard Day's Night. I hadn't seen it it like 25 years or more. They played 'Nowhere Man', and I was just BLOWN AWAY by how good that guitar solo sounded. Especially the opening notes.

14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Man, I envy TD today! Great review of the show, I've been watching clips of Marty and the band lately every chance I get.

Marty and the Superlatives are probably my bucket list concert at this point, unless I could see Noel and Ben Haggard with The Strangers. Tell your son thanks from all of us, I'm so glad you got to go!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Saw this show in Cambridge MA, Deke was not the opener there.
    Marty and Superlatives absolutely killed. Pedal to the metal all the way, lots of Marty's country schtick but backed up with great playing.
    And Clarence's guitar is an amazing sounding guitar.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I have to add in here. I caught them a couple weeks ago in Petaluma and the show just smoked. I got to chat with Kenny a little bit because I had a connection to Gene Parsons (of the byrds and bbender fame) and I was standing with him when Kenny came up. Man. What a night! Sometimes, you just leave feeling inspired in so many ways. By the way, Gene shredded. He played an old Byrds tune from Easy Rider with the band and it was a highlight. I have a video around somewhere. I'll post if I can.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Got tickets for the meet and great when they play Antones here in Austin next month. Super excited.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I had those in Petaluma and it was definitely worth it!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I just got back from their show at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta tonight - 5'th row center. My wife and I saw them last summer in Bremen GA, and when I heard they were in Atlanta, we had to go again to see if it was really as great as we remembered. They were just thrilling to see and hear tonight, no frills, just 4 great players and singers at the top of their game, hittin the groove as one. I don't know who does their sound, but it was perfect in a venue not known for good sound. I could go on and on but others have already said it. I'm an unabashed fanboy.

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir. My son is just a dandy man. He took me to see Tommy Emmanuel last summer. We're gonna see Tommy again if he comes back this summer. I'll go see Marty ANYTIME he comes to town!

Benny as we knew him is a very good guitarist getting better all the time. When he wasn't on the road with his dad a few years ago, he played at a place out in Greenfield called the Highlander. I'm not even sure he was old enough at the time to be playing there, but he was. I heard him play along side his dad only once. Merle was in good spirits that night and was hogging all the lead parts, we caught him on a really good night a couple of years before he passed.

haggardfan1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.