Marty Stuart’s PB-1 settings

Christian Gendics

TDPRI Member
C5AD8EE0-09CA-4833-99BD-F1A29093F994.jpeg

Just bought one of these Radial PB-1 pedals the other day in hopes of getting closer to the Stuart tone, and it did! I did some digging to see what his settings were for this pedal and saw a video posted from a sound check behind Marty’s deluxe at a recent gig on the Gear page. Gain is all the way up and Drag is almost all the way up as well. Next is to see how he’s dialing in his amp 😄

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Next is to see how he’s dialing in his amp 😄

There must be no shortage of images from the Marty Stuart show that gives a clear picture of how he dials in his deluxe. That said... the Deluxe is not the tone from his "hits". Back then he used a multi amp setup of big iron Fenders.

Keep in mind, you also don't have Clarence hung over your shoulder, and IMO - sounding like Marty requires "playing like Marty"... the gear is almost secondary. (this applies to any player)

Last edited:

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome to the forum Christian. Marty and Kenny are amazing! I've watched the Marty Stuart show many times when I've thought "Now that's what I call a perfect country tone."
Happy Tone Hunting.
Rod

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
Keep in mind, you also don't have Clarence hung over your shoulder, and IMO - sounding like Marty requires "playing like Marty"... the gear is almost secondary. (this applies to any player)
The gear may or may not be secondary, but the entire purpose of this website is to talk about gear, so that's what we talk about here. There's nothing special about Clarence White's Telecaster other than the b-bender and the fact that Clarence White owned it. With Marty Stuart's gear and settings, you should be able to strum an E chord and have it sound the same as Marty Stuart's E chord. Learning about gear and how people use it is the reason people come here.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Learning about gear and how people use it is the reason people come here.

Since you didn't quote my entire post.... maybe you missed the opening sentence where I provided a thoughtful solution to how the OP might be able to find Marty's amp settings ;)

It was after that when I provided a few added things to consider while chasing down the tone.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have found over the years that gigging a Deluxe, a clean boost of sorts can help you to play bigger venues with the limited wattage and retain the great tone.
I assume that's what the PB-1 is doing. Marty's sound is very clean, like an amp with no pedal for sure.
I used an MXR Micro Amp for that for years. But after trying the EC Mid Boost in Strats, I have entirely gone to that. It boosts like a pedal (but with the mid boost at 0) even better than the MXR.

Christian Gendics

TDPRI Member
There must be no shortage of images from the Marty Stuart show that gives a clear picture of how he dials in his deluxe. That said... the Deluxe is not the tone from his "hits". Back then he used a multi amp setup of big iron Fenders.

I’m going for the tone off of “Ghost Train” and “Way Out West”, a lot of the tone is definitely in fingers and Clarence especially with Marty but tone chasing is fun 😂

Christian Gendics

TDPRI Member
I wonder if Marty is using compression or not.
I did some digging on his board and actually got the privilege to see it in person (and hold Clarence) at one of there shows a few months ago, I was too in aww to take pictures of everything but it looks like he just has the Radial PB-1 and a Blues Driver, I found that the Radial PB-1 adds it’s own compression when you push the amp

tele pickin'

TDPRI Member
View attachment 992179
Just bought one of these Radial PB-1 pedals the other day in hopes of getting closer to the Stuart tone, and it did! I did some digging to see what his settings were for this pedal and saw a video posted from a sound check behind Marty’s deluxe at a recent gig on the Gear page. Gain is all the way up and Drag is almost all the way up as well. Next is to see how he’s dialing in his amp 😄
Un
The gear may or may not be secondary, but the entire purpose of this website is to talk about gear, so that's what we talk about here. There's nothing special about Clarence White's Telecaster other than the b-bender and the fact that Clarence White owned it. With Marty Stuart's gear and settings, you should be able to strum an E chord and have it sound the same as Marty Stuart's E chord. Learning about gear and how people use it is the reason people come here.
It is however not clear wherever or not the bridge pickup is still the Velvet Hammer

tele pickin'

TDPRI Member
Any idea where to find one, there are literally no more Velvet Hammer tele
Any idea where to find one, there are literally no more Velvet Hammer tele pickups left
I’m afraid they are as scarce as hen’s teeth
Some come up on ebay and reverb sometimes
I bought mine from a friend of James Burton in Shreveport many many years ago

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
For those with experience with the PB1, do you think you can get the same results from the Xotic RC Booster or is the PB1 unique.

8bitlooper

TDPRI Member
I’m afraid they are as scarce as hen’s teeth
Some come up on ebay and reverb sometimes
I bought mine from a friend of James Burton in Shreveport many many years ago
Sorry OP, I know you posted on the PB-1 settings and not a discussion on the velvet hammers, BUT does anyone know if there are any current pickup winders that do something close?

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
I'm curious about this device, as I'm looking for a new boost, as my old one croaked. This drag control, it just alters the impedance so it's as if there's nothing between the guitar and amp, is that correct?

JCAlex16993

TDPRI Member
Thank you so much for sharing this photo! I bought the PB-1 exactly for the same reason and have been playing around with it for a while now. This will help me a lot, I think!