1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin Road Series...???

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by lineboat, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Anybody have one? I played a 000 and it felt great. How are they?

2. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I played one at the music shop, I wondered how an acoustic guitar could sound any better. How can another martin be $1000 more than this one? I almost bought one last week, but I wanted to do payment s I could manage first so I went with an epiphone masterbilt. Here's how I break down the guitar value.

Masterbilt - 649$ worth every penny when compared to most $400 ranges guitars you can feel the difference.

Martin rs1 000 $749 I could definitely see a little fdifference between this and masterbilt series.

Martin rsgt 000 $999 nope that's where it stops the drs1 is like $750 and I liked it better. Never played a d28 but it can't be worth $1500 more. But this is all just opinion whatever strikes your fancy is the best guitar for you

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never seen one. I just googled up one of the few reviews on youtube. There was a Swede who plays pretty dang killer fingerstyle on the 000 and, sure enough, it sounds like a Martin. Even on the cell phone video you could hear that sweet Martin wood.

Solid Sepele back and sides? Ridgelite bridge and board? Stratabond neck? I don't care....it sounded dang good and I want to try one! The top of my list has been the 000 MMV...but man, that RS sounded good...

4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I think they sounded good too. I liked the model at $750. Seemed like it had more of a woody tone than the more expensive GT.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have a dreadnought (DM model) from the first Road series when they came out about 20 years ago. Suits me just fine. The "M" in "DM" indicates mahogany, which the back and sides are, along with a spruce top.

The series went away at some point, and is now back. I'm not sure of the differences between the two, but the models within the series are different now.

Scott

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

They have mahogany necks, not Stratabond and are all solid wood. I agree, they sounded better to me than many of the other Martins at GC that cost thousands more. I prefer the 000 size but the spruce dread had the sweet Martin bass i like. The hog dread cost about $100 less than the spruce and wasn't as nice as the Taylor 324 i've been wanting and prefer.

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I really liked the Taylor's too, and used a 214CE for a little while. It felt and sounded nice, but I eventually felt it was too bright., I prefer that 000 size. I have several Seagull acoustics, and love them all, but I'm wanting, and actually needing something a bit different. Martin is looking like the way to go.

8. E5RSY

Since the 214CE was mentioned, I have a question: Is there really any reason for a cutaway on an acoustic guitar?

I have only ever encountered one person for whom I thought a cutaway acoustic was justified and really could make use of the additional real estate. I don't care for their looks, and it sort of cracks me up when I see 99.99999999999999999% of people just pounding out cowboy chords with one.

What do y'all think?

9. wayloncash

I get up to the 14th all the time. Marty Robbins el paso. I like the cutaway look as well. But I get what you mean.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This was the review I saw on youtube. Kind of quirky but the guy plays well and turns out to be a decent review. This one had a Stratabond neck...

11. E5RSY

Sure, but the 14th is accessible without the cutaway, right? Did they even have cutaway acoustics when that tune was cut?

12. wayloncash

Yeah I guess you're right.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I do play up to the 16th quite a bit. It's not necessary though, as those lead runs can be improvised or skipped. I do like a cutaway though. Last time I played out we had a request for Baba O Reilly, and the cutaway allowed me to play it just like an electric.

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1, I use all of mine too. If you don't play up there, don't get one.

15. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

A young man in our church music group asked me to be on the lookout for a good deal on a Martin. A couple months ago Musician's Friend had as their "Stupid Deal of the Day' a Martin DSRGT for $699. List price was $1299 and they usually go for $999.

I told him about it and he got it. I won't say it's as good as my D28 or my son's D18V but for 1/3 the price it's pretty darn close. It definitely has that Martin sound; real dry and woody. Kind of like a D18 "lite".

The on board pick up is real nice and it has a USB port for connecting to a computer if you wanted to so some at home studio recording.

Unlike the other "Road Series" guitars this doesn't have the "Stratabond" neck, and does have gloss on the top.

With the hard shell case included he couldn't really pass it up. I was even tempted myself.

16. E5RSY

What is "Stratabond"? The original 1990's Road Series didn't have that.

Scott

17. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

"This is a trademark product of the Rutland Plywood Corporation. Composed of dye impregnated wood veneers in rich earth tones, Stratabond has formed the stocks and handles of millions of guns and bows for major manufacturers around the world since 1987. However, it has more recently been discovered by some guitar builders to be an excellent, cost-effective alternative to tropical mahogany, which has skyrocketed in cost over the last few years"

This material is used on the DSR-1 and the X series and the PA 5 guitars. It is very rigid and I like it for my D12X-1AE because I think rigidity is good for a twelve string. It does look a little weird though.

18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Well, I may have found something. I'm a big Seagull fan; I have several. They're tough, sound great, and have never let me down. They now have a concert hall model, and it sounds GREAT! The one I played was sold, but I really think that's what I want!

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good guitar at reasonable price--what's not to like? I dig 'em.

20. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Me too. I've been keeping the twelve string beside my chair and playing it a lot. Those still take a lot to get used to!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.