? Martin monel Tony Rice bluegrass strings?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by twangquest, Jan 4, 2014.

1. twangquest

twangquest Tele-Meister

Anyone tried these out? Wondering if they are as advertised about breaking in and such. My Martin seems to love Martin brand strings the best.

Happy strumming!

2. twangquest

twangquest Tele-Meister

Anyone?

3. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

I've had a set on my D-16RGT for at least a couple of months now--I would definitely recommend trying them. They took a little breaking in, but have held up really well--I like their tone, and they still don't sound like they've lost anything in the time I've had them. I play the guitar just about every day, and use metal fingerpicks a fair bit of the time, and they have held up way longer than the set I always used previously (Martin Lifespan MSP7100). They sound great for flatpicking; at first I thought they sounded weird when fingerpicking, but once they broke in, I thought they sounded great all-around. One thing: They are a step up in gauge from the 7100s, so I'm sure part of the greater "pop" I'm getting from them is attributable to that.

It has been drying out here recently as well, with the humidity dropping down to around 35% (turned on the humidifier to keep it around 40-45%), and I think the guitar sounds the best it ever has (it's a 2005, but I've only had it for a little under two years).

If you're looking for many more opinions, there is a very lengthy thread about these strings here:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/144298/New-Tony-Rice-Strings

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Steel strings can be fun.

Since I don't like the gauges the TR Martins come in, I tend to play around with plain old regular "monel" electric guitar strings.

They are a welcome diversion from Phos-Bronze.

5. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

The TR Monel's are my go-to string, after using EJ22's for years, on my dreads. I still use PB's on my OOO sometimes but nickel and monel sound and feel best to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.