1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin HD28 Style Stupid Deal

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Crowcaster, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Anyone know or have played these various Martin "Style" with the VTS temperature aging?

I can't find much info about these, but they've been trying to get rid of them at MusiciansFriend.

martin.PNG

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Crowcaster likes this.
  3. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

It's the "Style" that I'm wondering about.....there are threads and videos about Custom VTS models, but no reviews or videos for these. Maybe GC/MusiciansFriend exclusive? The bracing and neck profile is different than the Standards according to MF website.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Martin has used that for many decades, associated with the wood and appointments formula for a model. 000 model, style 28 is a 000-28. Looks like what used to be a HD-28, D for dreadnaught, H for herringbone appointments and a few other important design features, and 28 for Rosewood and Ebony. This one has the Red Spruce top upgrade, and the VTS may mean Vintage Torrified Spruce?

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

You nailed it on the head.

These are beautiful guitars, but they are NOT HD-28's exactly. The neck block will be solid mahogany, which is the tell that it is a standard traditional Martin dove tail and not the "simple dove tail" of the lower priced D-16 and the like.

HOWEVER, that neck block will not be stamped with "HD-28", it will be stamped with the word "CUSTOM" as these are bulk ordered by Guitar Center - they are a "Custom Order"

Sometimes runs of guitars ordered by a specific retailer gain a reputation of being something special, and even though stamped CUSTOM and not easily identifiable by a neophyte nonetheless still gain a reputation of being desirable. This however never seems to be the case when it is Guitar Center that requests a custom ordered run.

Boreas and Crowcaster like this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I'll just keep my old one!

jfgesquire likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.