Martin D-28 Modification

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by h4ck.b0x7, Jul 12, 2021.

What to do?

1. Install endpin and leave it alone

2. Install K&K Pure Mini

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Afflicted

The pin is original and perfectly matches the bridge pins. It’s hard to capture but they’re like red tortoise or something.

EBA6EA0C-4DA0-41D5-B33F-AEFDF2793F6A.jpeg 896AC59D-3857-4594-90D0-5610D3471424.jpeg

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice - yeah I didn't realize they were changed to faux tortoise in the new Redesign series. Looks good.

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.
  3. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Afflicted

I’ll probably just take it to Elderly and let them sort it out.

Nightclub Dwight and Boreas like this.
  4. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Afflicted

I emailed Elderly with pictures. I also contacted Martin through their site inquiring how to send them pictures.

Boreas likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I just bought a Custom Shop 18 from Elderly last week. As I look closely I see that the plastic bridge pins are not seated all the way. The tops are level instead of following the contour of the bridge. I read somewhere (on the UMGF?) that Martin doesn't taper the bridge pin holes, just step drills them ?!!? A $3300 guitar and I'm supposed to ream my own bridge pin wholes? Luckily I'm a builder and have the exact reamer for the job. Haven't tried setting the strap pin, guess I better look before I do that.

6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like a good plan. You only need to push the end pinin until it’s tight. If you pulled it out with pliers you pushed it in way to hard. If you can’t get it out. Loosen the strings and push on the pin from the inside.

7. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Afflicted

Had to use pliers to get it out and it was STILL sticking out 1/8-1/4”.

8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

If you don't gig you don't need a pickup. I voted endpin

Regarding to witch one... I had K&K, Fisman sonitone and LRBaggs VTC... The problem with K&K is that you need an external preamp and that is another rabbit hole to start. So I prefer on board preamps. Sonitone is OK but the actual LR Baggs in my new J-45 is the best I have ever tried. So I must recomend it

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

_585.JPG I have a L R Baggs M80 soundhole pickup installed in my avatar. For a jack, I used a "Vintage Jack" which is designed to go into the endpin hole with no drilling. To reverse the installation, unsolder the leads from the plug that connects with the pickup, pull the jack and the wires out and put the original endpin back in and pull the pickup from the soundhole, and the 82 year old acoustic D18 is acoustic again. Obviously, any holes drilled in the old Martin would devalue it severely, so the Vintage Jack, while a bit pricey, is worth the price because it preserves the value of my old Martin.

h4ck.b0x7 and bottlenecker like this.
  10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I have installed the K&K Mini on my Martin D1-R and my D12X1. IMHO it's the best pickup ever and it does not ruin the look of your guitar. Just get one with the ebony jack

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.
  11. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

If you don't gig, then do you even need the end pin? When I play at home, I never stand up to play, but perhaps you do.

12. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Personally I like the Antique Acoustics end pins which coincidentally Elderly carries.

My wife has had pickups installed in both her 1960 Gibson J200 and 2016 Martin D12-28. But she does gig occasionally with two bands. I own a Fairbanks F30 with a K&K Pure Mini. In this case it was installed by the builder on request of the original purchaser. I have never needed it but let it be in case my wife wants to use the guitar.
    When I do need to plug in I prefer going with one of the Dearmond soundhole pickups I have been using since the 1960s. So no jack required - just a little loop gizmo which slides on. I also own a 1956 Harmony H40 which has a Gibson P13 installed underneath the fingerboard extension. So no room for a transverse brace above the soundhole. Neither is the most acoustic sounding pickup but just what the doctor ordered if you like that Elmore James/Lightning Hopkins vibe.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just my two cents on my 2 guitars' pickups :

I have a '93 Martin D-1 ( a million gigs now), that back in '93, had outfitted with the ( then new) Martin/Fishman Gold Plus pickup/preamp.
    Aftermarket, and it sounded fantastic, until it died two years ago ( interior contact issue- no repair)

So I took it to local DC-Area reputable guitar tech to install the very similar-sounding Fishman Matrix system ( sounds great, very similar, has Volume and Tone wheel- my old PU had no onboard controls)
    This cost me $200 total.

Anyway, fast forward to last month, I have a 2018 Blueridge 000/OM ( a very nice gift from good friends) that I want to gig with and wanted to have the exact same Fishman system installed.
    But the guy says " I only carry K&K pickups now, everyone thinks they are superior..."
    So I tell him I hear the K&K Pure Mini is passive, needs a Preamp, and I really don't want an outboard Preamp pedal.
    So he says " Why don't I install the K&K passive PU now, and there is an add-on interior preamp w/Volume knob/9V battery -we can order/ add if you like later..."

I said OK, did 2 gigs with passive K&K just into PA board and sound was fine EQ, but needed to crank Fader and Gain trimpot to get good volume.

So I just got BR back after now having add-on Preamp installed.
    To me it does not sound better or worse than Fishman in the Martin, both guitars are tonally balanced acoustically and that sound come thru pretty well, with the pickups.
    but $330 for K&K stuff! ( total) yikes!

El Marin likes this.
  14. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Afflicted

Technically? No.

However, I would like to have it sorted out.

I do have a UAD Apollo X Quad interface that I can record into and I don't own a bunch of microphones, so a pickup would be useful in that regard.....but then again 1-2 mics and it would probably sound better anyways.

15. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I don't think is superior

I had a K&K in a Gibson Songwriter... cool guitar. That's why I have now a J-45 I believe. But then I had to get a preamp.... went through a bunch of them and ended with an LR Baggs Venue, a 400€ preamp and DI. Like you, I have to almost crank volume as K&K didn't had many.... I sold the guitar for some reason and got another one with a Fishman sonitone... Second gig I sold the pedal preamp. The trick with those piezos is not crank them, just that. So I don't need a second preamp.

So... talking about tone? Fishman and LR baggs are more user friendly to me than K&K... and for recording, I use a mic so...

Is K&K superior? not to me, a gigging musician. I need practical things that work. The less and cheap, the better...

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

IMHO you don't need a preamp for the K&K mini. I use a Boss GE-7 and it sounds great

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Hindsight I know but if I had my way I would have had the same Fishman Matrix system put in the second guitar I like it just fine and it was $130 less
    I didn't have to go to the guy I went to for the installation but there you have it...

El Marin likes this.
  18. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

My Larrivee D-09 came with no end pin, nor even with a hole for one. Larrivee's view was that if you don't need one, you're better off without one, as it lessens the chance of damage if the guitar is dropped on its end. One can be fitted if required, but would obviously require precision drilling and reaming. I've never bothered.

KATT likes this.
  19. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

Apology for the hijack, but since you work on acoustics with that sort of damage. I had a new J45 come with that same damage save that the crack didn't break through the finish--I barely caught it from the distortion in the gloss's reflection. Only when I took pics of the end block on the inside of the body did I find the crack that went all the way across it end to end. Poor packing by the merchant or Gibson.

I ask because I expect the guitar to be on open box sale soon and I wonder if it's worth buying--the crack didn't bother me too much but I have no idea what sorts of repairs or intervention this would need. Otherwise the guitar was perfect.
    IMG_20210617_144603232.jpg

Re the OP, I wouldn't put a pickup in at all. Buy a Fender Paramount or something that has a pickup already and keep your high end guitar pristine. The properties that make an a great acoustic don't really come out with a pickup. Or use an across the soundhole pickup and let the wire hang down from the front. Again, if you gig it that rarely it won't bother you that much.

20. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

+1 on the K&K Pure Mini. My only gripe is that the end pin does not stick out very far, and it is difficult to attach a thick strap. I wound up getting a TapaString StrapKeeper which not only makes attaching the strap much easier but also much more secure.

vgallagher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.