1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin D-18 owners club

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by teleamp, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

There is, but they're part of very special runs like Martin's old "Guitar of the Month" deal in the 90's. The Elliot Easton and Jimmy Buffet sig models are called HD-18's by Martin, but HERE's the one I was thinking of.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the club, sort of...

Not a D-18 but I recently got a 00-DB Jeff Tweedy and it has the Martin sound plus the mahogany overtones...

But. I will find the right D-18 eventually...

Attached Files:

3. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the D-18 was given a MAJOR overhaul in 2012! Specifically, the new D-18 has 1 1 3/4" width nut (vs 1 11/16), and the bracing pattern is scalloped and forward shifted (closer to the sound hole). The bracing pattern gives the new D-18 a huge voice! FWIW, the D-18V was discontinued after Martin changed the standard 18. The D-18V has scalloped and forward shifted braces and a nut width of 1 11/16". I love my d-18V! Also, the D-18 GE (golden era) features forward shifted braces that are scalloped more aggressively and the top is Adirondack spruce vs Sitka (The d-18GE also has a 1 3/4" nut). For my ears, the D-18V sounds better than the 18GE as I believe the Sitka spruce is a better (warmer) compliment to the mahogany back & sides. The adi top on the D-18GE is loved by many and is a matter of personal preference.

4. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Here is my 56 D-18 owned and played since 59...sound is still getting better...[​IMG]

5. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Well my Taylor 312 gives me the spruce/hog tones in spades and dreads hurt my shoulders, so I am more than happy with the Tweedy... NGD post to follow a set-up...

6. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

2003 Standard D-18 here !

[​IMG]

7. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

I bowed out of this club about 12 months ago, my hands weren't up to the task of playing the huge neck, Barre chords were killing me!

I've been without an acoustic since then. I tried out the newer D-18 ( post 2012 model) recently, and it semed better. So much so that I thought Id be back into a D-18 soon, but I a/b'd it against a Maton CW80 which I actually preferred... So Im out for good, it would seem!

8. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Am I in?

Does a D-18E Retro count as being in the club? Let me know so I can flaunt my new baby. :D

9. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Count me in. 2008 D-18A sunburst.

10. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1967 D-18

There's cool story behind this one. I got it from a retired guitar teacher last year when he decided to move to the Southwest. Since he didn't want to bring this guitar to such a dry climate, and he never played it, he decided to sell it. I first saw this guitar about three years ago at his house. He was selling a bunch of stuff at the time. (I bought tons of music books and a banjo) He showed me this guitar and told me that when he got back from serving a tour in Vietnam in 1967, his dad handed him this new Martin D-18. It became his main guitar for a couple of decades.

Last year I saw a 1967 D-18 for sale on CL, sure enough it was his. I snagged it as fast as I could. It is in great shape, and sounds even better. I was born in 1967, so between that and the story of how he got it, I really bonded with this guitar. I think its kind of sad that he sold it, but Im going to take good care of it and play it for decades to come, then give it to my son.

Attached Files:

• D18.jpg
      D18.jpg
      File size:
      23.3 KB
      Views:
    • D183.jpg
      D183.jpg
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
  11. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Kit built...

Hello All.
    Can I get into this club?... I built my son Willie a Martin D-18 from their kit. It was a transcending experience to build and sounds amazing...

Sincerely,
    Rich

Attached Files:

12. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Wow!

Looks like an awesome D-18, Rich. Love the bear claw on the top. I'm sure Willie will cherish that one for a long time.

13. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

I'm on my 3rd & 4th D-18. My current D-18's are a D-18V & a custom all koa D-18 with "GE" bracing. The GE bracing is more aggresivley scalloped & allows the top to move even more. Along side my D-18's is an HD-28V (the ambertone shaded top is red spruce & is a custom run from "Myfavoriteguitars":

[​IMG]

14. daily dave

daily dave NEW MEMBER!

Hello. Found locally a 1973 d-18 for sale. Sounds great, plays great but the top has heavy checking I guess you'd call it. The finish is crackled across the entire top. About every 2-3 inches. Is this an indication of some type? Affect the value? Opinions welcome, I appreciate your help.

15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Do a search on the subject of 'finish crazing' and 'finish checking' on guitars at UMGF, elsewhere. It is generally not a big deal structurally at all if the guitar is otherwise in good shape and does not hurt value much if at all except vs 'mint' vintage guitars. It is also pretty common.

It would never stop me from getting a good sounding & playing old guitar. It typically happens when a guitar goes from a warm to cold spot, or cold to warm, quickly. My old J-45 has it in spades though fine checking & hard to see in this pic.

Attached Files:

16. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Very nice guitars August_West. I want to apologize to you for my attitude and forwardness in the "bridge replacement" thread. I apologized in general over there and I hope it is OK to apologize here to you. I am sorry and feel like an a__. Guitars are amazing and the people involved with them are more so... You have a lot of experience and very nice instruments so I hope you accept my apology so I can continue to be a part of this very nice community. Mea Culpa...

Sincerely,
    Rich

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a '72 D-18 that I bought new. It sounded amazing, but played very poorly. I sent it back to Martin at one point and instead of resetting the neck, they planed the fingerboard and refretted it. Helped some, but still was hard to play. After owning it for 15 years I sold it. But I love that sound, especially in open tunings. I hope to find another sometime. It sounds like the new ones are pretty nice. I'll have to take a trip down to the Pickin' Parlor and Wildwood and play a few.

18. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

Hi Rich, I sent you a personal message, but also wanted to say thank you here for reaching out. For some reason I got a little rattled in the other thread, & I owe you an apology for letting my attitude get abrupt. This place is wonderful for sharing ideas, and it helps when there's no attitude (I failed in that dept). Thanks again for reaching out.

19. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

In July of '13 I acquired a 2012 or 2013 D-18 to go with my '94 D-28. It's the best sounding new Martin I've ever played; it's that good! I've discovered that unlike my D-28, the Mahogany sides and back of the D-18 just seem to sound best when played with the fingers. MHO and YMMV.

PS: My D-28, especially when strung with mediums, seems to be ideal for aggressive flatpicking with what else, a pick.

20. Petimar

Petimar Tele-Meister

43 D18 here. Nicest sounding D18 I've ever played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.