1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin D-16E: Your Thoughts, Please!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by FenderGuy53, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Fguy, its too bad we aren't closer as I would like you to play my old D18 just for perspective. It comes from the low period of Martins production, the "over built" 70's but has had all the right things done to it - reset, frets, bridgeplate, braces and has been played side by side with some of the golden era guitars - the feeling was that it held up very nicely.

I plan to sell it and a bunch of other stuff next spring when things settle down a bit - but I will only sell to someone who has actually played it. Its on the left

IMG_0184.JPG

Drop a K&K in it and you would have a killer

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Fender Guy,
    From my wanderings over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum I've heard that their sponsor vendors mark down Martins heavily. Before you lay down $1650 for a satin finish guitar in a softshell case, you should talk to Maurie. For not a whole lot more, you can get a D-18. The new reimagined series are really impressing a lot of people. Hard Shell case, no built in electronics, but for $100 you can get set up with a JJB sound board transducer that will sound better than anything that comes stock on a sub $2k guitar.

3. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

$1699?!?

I got a 2012 000-18 floor model in 2017 for $1500 shipped. And, since I was the first owner, I still got the warranty.

Bryan A likes this.
  4. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

yup. I got my 000-28 Amberburst brand new open box for $2100. The price for new amberburst at that time was either $3000 or $3200. And it was brand new, seemingly untouched

EspyHop likes this.
  5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a groovy axe and a hell of a lot more fun than the Takamine or the Yamaha, which, let's face it, is a motorcycle, fer crying out loud.

But I'm old-school. So if it's a Martin, it's a D-18, D-28, D-35 or D-45 for me.

EspyHop likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, guys, I sold my Martin DCRSG, and I'll be selling all my related accoutrements. I'm done.

Yesterday, I traveled to another Guitar Center to play the Martin Special 16 Dreadnaught, again. This time, my experience was very disappointing; the guitar was underwhelming, in every way. :(

Two fellas (a younger man, and another, about my age) were playing used Alvarez guitars that made the Martin sound like a child's toy!

Truth be told, I don't play enough to warrant the expense, and I have other budding interests, that are not musical.

I'll be selling my Loudbox Mini BT and some pedals (a Valeton Dapper Mini, Valeton Coral Tuner and a TC Electronic Ditto Looper); if anyone has interest, please let me know.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.