1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin D-16E: Your Thoughts, Please!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by FenderGuy53, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

F, according to Martin's website, the D-16 is long scale, the 000-16 is short (as is pretty normal). What you hear in tone wood is what YOU hear, don't listen to what anyone says you should hear. In fact, I can point you to two very scholarly studies that conclude that people really can't tell what they are hearing in tone woods. It would be worth your time to play two more or less identically built guitars while blind folded - say a D-18 and a D-28 since you like dreads. Have a lovely assistant help you - do an ABX comparison. It can be rather humbling....

I'll also say once more time and I'll forever shut up, why anyone would buy a guitar without playing it based on the advice of an online forum of people who you have never met is beyond me. Make the investment in gas and time to play everything you can, pick the guitar that sounds best to YOU and buy the darn thing. Come back here and wax about your NGD.

Boreas, Harry Styron and black_doug like this.
  2. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Where did you find the part about the 000 body width? Pretty sure it’s a full dreadnought size. My D16GT is and according to Musiciansfriend it is also.

I got my D16GT from a pawn shop for $700. It’s ok in that price range but for $1650, I can GUARANTEE that you can do better. I’ve played $900 Yamahas that were far better. In fact, if you stay on the lookout, you could probably score a used D18 in that price range. For that matter, I got my HD28 for $1550, though it is certainly NOT “mint”.

3. Freeman Keller

Martin has the D-16E in standard dreadnaught size and long scale

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/16-series/d-16e-mahogany/

And the 000-16E with a triple ought body and short scale

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/16-series/000-16e/

Plus several others in the x-16 line up. I believe the D-16GT is discontinued but might still be available.

4. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

yeah, but those aren’t remotely the same guitars. Ones a D- and ones a 000-. He said the D16E had the body width of a 000. It doesn’t, it’s a full on dreadnought. In fact, if they made a dreadnought with a 000 width body, it would be its own line and not classified as either a D- or a 000-. The closest I can think to that would be the 0000-, which is a 000 shape but roughly the size of a dreadnought. I had one briefly and wasn’t a big fan. This d16e is certainly not that either, it’s a dread.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I own and gig with my '93 D-1 ( bought new, 3rd set of frets and tuners now!) and have come really close to getting a similar 000-1R to compliment! There was one on CL recently, but can't spend the $$!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Twang Deluxe likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never known much about acoustic guitars, and like I say, I own a D16E. Everything I’ve read says the new ones are dreadnought shaped, but have 000 depth.

From Sweetwater:
    When you play the D-16E Rosewood for the first time, you may notice that the body feels different from other Martin dreadnoughts. It retains the same square shoulder shape but is slightly thinner than normal. Instead of the traditional dreadnought body depth of 4-7/8-inches, Martin opted to give this guitar the depth of a 000 — 4-1/8-inches. This change affects the guitar in two notable ways. First, the thinner body reigns in the boomy bass response for cleaner recording. Second, it helps the guitar to create a more mid-forward response. Don't fret, even with its new body depth, the D-16E Rosewood retains the same room-filling power that you expect from a Martin dreadnought.

FenderGuy53 and black_doug like this.
  7. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

idk, maybe. It doesn’t say anything like that on MF or GC, but maybe it is. Either way, I’d want to play it first. It’s definitely not a guitar I’d consider paying $1600 for. It’s not going to have the material or build quality of a d18 or d28, and if you look hard enough, you can find used examples of both in that price range.

8. swervinbob

From Martin’s website:
    BODY SIZE:
    D-14 Fret (000 Depth)

Not trying to prove anyone wrong. Just wanting to put to rest the body shape subject. Like I say, I didn’t look much at the used market. I sat and played it and liked the acoustic sound of it and bought it. I’ll let everyone else argue about quality.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  9. Freeman Keller

For what it is worth, my 1974 D-18 is 4-7/8 deep at the butt. Triple oughts have more variation but my plans for a vintage 12 fret 000 calls the depth at the butt as 4-1/8.

I don't know what the D-16 is, I don't have one to measure but if it is significantly shallower than a dread it will have a different (probably higher) body chamber resonance (the so called Helmholtz resonance). Dreads are typically about G or G# which is part of their characteristic sound.

It will also sit a little differently on your lap being 3/4 inch shallower. Just another reason the OP should try before he buys

(some of my earlier comments were to try to clarify that Martin does make both 000 and D sized guitars in the 16 series and they have more differences other than just size and shape)

Greggorios likes this.
  10. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

My thoughts are.... the D-16 (dred) is LOUD.
    The 4 year old one I played hard in a 10 x10 room was too loud! I really liked that!

+ Most affordable new made in the USA solid wood B&S Martin.

- This new one is not as deep (front to back) as a D-18/D-28. Neither is my D12e but I love the sound.

+ The D-16 outperforms the D12e & D13e solid wood road series guitars.* This says something, I think the D12e & D13e are great sounding new Martins that are affordable. The D-16 I played blew away the D12e & D13e dreadnoughts. I have owned a 12 year old D-18 and that is my benchmark on everything.

- Not too excited about the electronics in the Martins. I went from hating what I have in my D-12e to totally balancing each string output. It took some work but now I do hear a decent (flat) sound in an Acoustasonic amp.
    -Did not know the D-16 had a synthetic finger board. If this is true then the bridge should be synthetic as well.
    I am surprised and disappointed in Martin.

The D-16 is the next step up from Road Series and now puts you in REAl Martin territory IMO.

If I were looking at a D-16, I would HAVE to A/B the mahogany vs rosewood. I am pretty sure the rosewood would win the comparison.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  11. swervinbob

Ebony on both on the new ones.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  12. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

The confusion here was width vs depth. I was kind of wondering about that then after learning that Martin had thinned out the depth I'm kind of concerned.Hope it does not apply to all the new dreads.I like a little boomy.As far as recording, thats what they make EQ for.

13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Above post editted for clarification.

14. FenderGuy53

Original post editted for correctness.

Also, I previously owned a Martin DC16GTE Premium Blend, and most recently, a Martin GPCRSGT and a Martin DCRSGT. The latter two Made in Mexico guitars played and sounded perfectly fine - to me.

The Martin D-16E is Made in USA, has upgraded electronics, fretboard & body woods, and would be a step up from what I had previously owned.

Hope that gives you guys some perspective of my thought process and simpler needs.

15. FenderGuy53

The D-16E is a dreadnaught body shape, but the depth of the body is 000-sized.

16. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Yeah, only after someone says something ridiculous like their D-16 is as good as a D-28 and that the difference is just cork sniffery.

Bryan A likes this.
  17. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

yep. I own a D16GT, a HD28, a 000-28, and have owned an M36 and a 000-21, and have played many others. The D16 is a passable guitar but it is nowhere close to the quality in fit, finish, or sound to higher models. If you’re looking for “passable”, you could do A LOT better for cheaper and a lot better for $1699. As I said, I got my D16 at a pawn shop for $700. It’s decent in that price range. New, it would probably be decent in the $900-$1k price range. But $1699? No way

EspyHop likes this.
  18. swervinbob

If I would have had the money at the time, I would have bought a D28. But with the few things I had to trade and what I had to spend, the D16E worked just fine for my budget. I was between jobs at the time. I may get a 28 down the line, but I’m keeping the 16. May put a different pickup system in it. But I like the acoustic sound and the feel of it.

19. FenderGuy53

Absolutely correct, swervinbob!

20. FenderGuy53

Regarding the Martin D-16E spec's, the 000 depth is mentioned in all of the descriptions. Pretty hard to miss that one!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.