1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin D-16E: Your Thoughts, Please!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by FenderGuy53, Nov 6, 2020.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I recently sold my 2017 Martin Custom Road Series DCRSGT and I'm now looking to upgrade. My search had narrowed to the Yamaha A5R and the Takamine P2DC, either of which can be had for $1399/shipped; however, I just stumbled upon the Martin D-16E and I have to say that I'm intrigued - plus, I like the facts that: 1) it's not a cutaway, and 2) it's Made in the USA.

The Martin D-16E has a 000 body width, solid East Indian Rosewood back/sides (satin), solid Sitka Spruce top, Fishman Matrix VT Enhance electronics, a Martin soft case, and - it is routinely priced at $1649/shipped! All-in-all, it sounds like a very feature-laden guitar, at a very competitive price point.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Martin D-16E? How does it compare to the Yamaha A5R and Takamine P2DC?

Currently, our local music shops don't have any of these models in stock, so I'll likely have to purchase one online, sight/sound unseen.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Boreas and Greggorios like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had 3 Martin 16 series guitars. All were excellent. Still have two SP000-16s circa 1998(?) - one in mahogany and one in rosewood. I prefer the mahogany. I never had one of the dreds though and mine were not 'lectrified.

May want to try Maury's Music if you are looking to buy online.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    JamesAM, Greggorios and FenderGuy53 like this.
  3. FenderGuy53

I'm curious. Why do you favor the mahogany over the rosewood? :cool:

Thanks for the Maury's Music referral, too! ;)

Boreas likes this.
  4. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Double check the electronics before you buy. Some of the Matrix stuff from Martin has been substituted, but the ad copy not changed to reflect it.

Their 000-18’s are excellent. I have been considering a 16 for a graduation present, but there’s been none available.

Boreas, FenderGuy53 and Greggorios like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a D16RGT which is the older version of the 16 series Rosewood/Spruce dreadnought and think it's great. I'm not sure about the "000 body width" in your OP though. The D is the dreadnought designation and Martin shows a different width measurement from the 000 bodies. 000 bodies are usually smaller than dreads which is why many folks prefer them. This is from the Martin website. Just want to be sure you get what you want. (Maybe you meant the 000-16E?) Happy hunting!:)

upload_2020-11-6_15-56-9.png

985plowboy and Boreas like this.
  6. FenderGuy53

Really! THAT'S not good! :eek: I was planning on buying online!

The 000-18's are more $$$ than I want to spend! :rolleyes:

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer mahogany for the brighter tone, lighter weight, and lighter color.

If the 16 series has a down side, I would say it is the scale length. But most people would typically want that longer scale length on a dreadnaught. I just prefer a shorter scale on a smaller body.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

IIRC, when I listened to demos, the mahogany produced a warmer tone, while the rosewood produced a brighter tone.

Also, I'm used to a longer scale (i.e., Telecaster'ish).

Greggorios likes this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I ended up with a GPC 16E, which of course has the grand performance body shape. I did so for two reasons--it has a rosewood fretboard (other 16s usually have richlite) and forward shifted X bracing.

Guitar is very nice, no complaints. Would have preferred a 000-28, but you buy what you can afford. I played a crazy price match and paid 1199 for mine, but that weird circumstance likely won't happen again.

FenderGuy53 and Greggorios like this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

If buying anything other than a Standard Series Martin with full dovetail neck joint be prepared for owners of Martin Standards to look down their noses at you.

That being said, the 16s ARE great sounding and well made guitars, but DO take a pretty good depreciation hit and can be found used in the $1,000 price range.

I bought this gorgeous Guitar Center model for $1,000.00:

IMG_20170908_113107.jpg

IMG_20170908_113027.jpg

CJM3309 and JamesAM like this.
  11. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Anyone interested in a D-16 series should check out the D-16H from around '91-94.Very limited edition.Specs very close to the D-18 Golden era.They're out there but not a lot.I bought mine in '93 and still plays and smells like new.Very lightweight.Canon loud...

jfgesquire likes this.
  12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

There are like 3 or 4 slightly different versions in that era of those "Standard Series" 16s... different wood, inlays, etc. I could/should have purchased one a few years ago, it sat at a small town music store about 40 miles from me and I kept second guessing the purchase.... $1,200..... Stupid stupid stupid ...

Greggorios and Dano-caster like this.
  13. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Can't say I have experience with the D16E, but I bought my D16GT new in 2002 and love it to this day. Sounds and plays great; I really like the neck (comfortable low-oval profile), in fact the most of all my guitars. Put in a LR Baggs I-Beam p/u right off and that sounds great too. I will say that a while after buying, when one night looking at the fretboard up close under a light, I was shocked to discover that the "wood" was in fact the synthetic Micarta ... on my first ever, USA-built Martin, wha!?!? But got over that and it's been quite fine to this day.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I played an earlier D-16 (not sure but I want to say early 2000s) it reminded me of my D-1R quite a bit (1994), bright and punchy and VERY loud. You might want to look at a used D-1 if one pops up near you-certainly in your price range!

I’ve got the Matrix VT pickup in my OM-15 (stock) and while it’s alright, I feel there are better amplification systems out there-the Martin Gold pickup in my D-1 is actually better sounding, and it’s 20 years older! Go figger...

Franc Robert

Greggorios and Twang Deluxe like this.
  15. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Make sure you call maury as opposed to buying through the website. Ask for their best price. You might be very surprised.

I bought my hd-28 through them and was so happy I will likely never buy another martin from anyone else.

loco gringo and Greggorios like this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I worked at a Martin dealer for many years, and, to my ears rosewood has more bottom and top and more harmonic overtones, while mahogany is more mid-centric, with mostly fundamental frequencies and fewer overtones. I much prefer rosewood. And, since the D1R was discontinued many years ago, the 16 series are the least expensive rosewood Martins, and the best bang for the buck IMO.

FenderGuy53, Greggorios and JamesAM like this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a new D16E and like it a lot. Not sure about the electronics. I haven’t plugged it in. But I like the acoustic sound better than my Taylor 214ce Deluxe.

FenderGuy53, Greggorios and DougM like this.
  18. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Mine is the herringbone with serious bear claw sitka top.Dove tail neck joint and what they called forward shifted bracing which was scalloped.Ebony tuner buttons.Sweet abalone snowflake inlays on the rosewood board.Love the tone.

FenderGuy53 and Greggorios like this.
  20. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I also love my Martin D1-R. I bought it used and put a K&K pure western mini pickup in it. IMHO it sounds much better than many expensive guitars

Greggorios and Chiogtr4x like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.