Martin CEO 7

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
I own an early-1930s 12 fret Gibson L1. To my ears though the Martin CEO-7 still sounds more like a Martin dread that the Gibson. The Waterloo WL-14 comes closer to the Gibson and their take on the Kel Kroyden closer yet. Then, of course, there was also the now discontinued Gibson L00 Legend which was a spot on copy of a 1937 L00.
I own the Waterloo Kel Kroyden (WL-K) and am experiencing the same issue as the OP.
These lightly built guitars can dry out quickly. I'm now humidifying properly and hoping the problem rights itself.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, my friend has both a 30's L-00 and a Waterloo WL-14. The CEO-7 was quite similar to them in sound, but still Martin-y. Like halfway between a Martin 00-18 and a Gibson L-00.

I have a 30s HG-00, and would love a "spanish" version without converting the HG. Is it weird that I have a DSS-17 (martin's J style) and am eyeing the CEO-7? I feel like the next one should be a regular martin or gibson, or it will be some kind of theme.

Btw, the HG-00 likes to be dry. It sounded dead after being in a 45% humidity case. I'm not sure what to keep it at, but I'm not sure that wood even needs moisture anymore.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
Martin has a model called the CEO? Kind of on the nose; that's like if Gibson had a Blues Dentist Special Reserve edition.
The CEO series is 8 or so different guitars that Chris Martin (the CEO of Martin) comes up every so often with a limited run. Most are takes on Gibson flattops. The CEO 7 was so popular that they’ve kept making it. The CEO 8 was outrageous. Martins just having a little fun. Love the headstock!
9C2673EC-86D5-4057-9306-5DACB06C29FE.jpeg
EA4B9BD8-F938-43E3-8C2B-B30F79C737DC.jpeg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I own an early-1930s 12 fret Gibson L1. To my ears though the Martin CEO-7 still sounds more like a Martin dread that the Gibson. The Waterloo WL-14 comes closer to the Gibson and their take on the Kel Kroyden closer yet. Then, of course, there was also the now discontinued Gibson L00 Legend which was a spot on copy of a 1937 L00.

Is your L1 ladder braced?

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Martin has a model called the CEO? Kind of on the nose; that's like if Gibson had a Blues Dentist Special Reserve edition.
Does anyone what they are implying with that name?? It is a bit of a turnoff , but my buddy went with one , and I gotta say, it’s a great guitar . I just don’t understand the naming of it . I guess it’s a guitar CEO’s of a large corporation would like?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
The CEO series is 8 or so different guitars that Chris Martin (the CEO of Martin) comes up every so often with a limited run. Most are takes on Gibson flattops. The CEO 7 was so popular that they’ve kept making it. The CEO 8 was outrageous. Martins just having a little fun. Love the headstock! View attachment 941420 View attachment 941415
OK, that's kind of funny.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
I have a 30s HG-00, and would love a "spanish" version without converting the HG. Is it weird that I have a DSS-17 (martin's J style) and am eyeing the CEO-7? I feel like the next one should be a regular martin or gibson, or it will be some kind of theme.

Btw, the HG-00 likes to be dry. It sounded dead after being in a 45% humidity case. I'm not sure what to keep it at, but I'm not sure that wood even needs moisture anymore.

To each their own - seems you just like Martins that look like Gibsons. A 30's L-00 is a resonant thing of beauty. I have not played a modern/current L-00 that gets me as excited, but maybe they need time to open up.

I'm tempted to keep my CEO-7 dry, but I know that may backfire sooner or later. Once in awhile, I do let it sit on a stand in the bathroom during a hot shower.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member

Back then, they didn't bother with controlling humidity at the factory. It's likely that yours was glued up on a dry day, so it likes being dry. It's also likely that a lot of the ones that were glued up on humid days cracked and were junked.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
To each their own - seems you just like Martins that look like Gibsons. A 30's L-00 is a resonant thing of beauty. I have not played a modern/current L-00 that gets me as excited, but maybe they need time to open up.

I'm tempted to keep my CEO-7 dry, but I know that may backfire sooner or later. Once in awhile, I do let it sit on a stand in the bathroom during a hot shower.

Back then, they didn't bother with controlling humidity at the factory. It's likely that yours was glued up on a dry day, so it likes being dry. It's also likely that a lot of the ones that were glued up on humid days cracked and were junked.

Yeah, there's no way a new one will sound like it, but it'd be nice to at least start with a good attempt. It might have been glued up dry, but it's also been hanging out for more than 80 years. I know it was unplayed and unstrung for about 50 of those years, and no one was checking it's humidity.

I think I just like gibsons and martins, and oddballs. A little of all three in one guitar is appealing.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Nope. Tall thin non-scalloped X bracing. While the 1920s L1 flattops had H bracing, during the 1930s Gibson only used ladder bracing on their off-brand guitars like the Kalamazoos, Cromwells and such.

I'd love a 20's/30's L1, 12 fretter. I'm too late in trying to find one for a decent deal though.

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
Have you played any gibson L-00s you could compare it to? If I'm not mistaken, that's kind of what they're going for, right?
I'm interested in these.
Yes I did play a Gibson L00 or two in fact. They both sounded "boxy" to my ears of course they were both at GC and had strings on them from the Obama Administration but all things being equal the CEO had the same handicap and it sounded way better in most ways. It also sounded bigger and more dynamic for a small-ish guitar. In fact I've played a bunch of CEO's and they all sounded WAY better that average in a wide variety of retail environments so...................