Martin CEO 7

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
Hello,

I am the happy owner of a Martin CEO 7

It sounds and plays great but suddenly over the past couple of days the G string is buzzing when fretted within the first 5 -6 frets.

None of the other strings buzz just the G

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gary

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Check your neck relief and/or make sure it's humidified enough. When a guitar dries out, the top shrinks down and lowers the action.

It's probably just the G string because it was the one that was closest to being too low.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
My thoughts are AWESOME!

I was greatly tempted by the ceo7 , but was put off by the 1.75” nut, and ended up with a custom shop 000-28.

Now, snap to it and post some pics!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I agree with the low humidity. I keep my guitars, but most affected is the acoustic, in a bedroom I humidify to keep it over 45% humidity.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a CEO 7 and keep the room it’s in between 45 and 55% humidity and I’ve never had any problems. Martins have a weird truss rod wrench so you’ll probably need one of those.
FA669947-5867-4A68-B99D-89839B6E2570.jpeg

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I have a CEO 7 and keep the room it’s in between 45 and 55% humidity and I’ve never had any problems. Martins have a weird truss rod wrench so you’ll probably need one of those.

? It's a standard 5 mm wrench, adjusted through the sound hole.

If they didn't included one with the guitar, you can use a standard one. You'll need to use the long end of it, though, so it may be too tough to turn by hand. In that case, I just use a pair of pliers to turn the wrench. No specialty truss rod wrench necessary.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Yes.

It sounds exactly like a humidity issue.

I keep a wet sponge in a small container with holes in every acoustic guitar case; and also in my electric guitar cases with f-holes.

I check them every week to make sure the sponges are wet and the guitar's are doing OK.

(I'm not too worried about the solid bodies; but I keep an eye on them, too.)

Good luck!

imo.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Haha, true the name is kind of a turn-off, but it's a lovely guitar. I bought one last year after a lot of deliberation. Mine seems to sound more vibrant when the air is drier in the house, but I know that may not be a good thing if prolonged.

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Meister
I had a Martin 000-28 that had the same issue, and I brought it into a Martin Repair facility and they addressed my issue then and there. I had to leave my guitar for a couple of days, but they fixed it. The repair guy said that he adjusted my truss rod and filed off a bit on one of the frets.
And the repair work was covered. I talked to Martin and they directed me to the nearest authorized Martin repair facility.
I am also confident that you have humidity issues as well.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Haha, true the name is kind of a turn-off, but it's a lovely guitar. I bought one last year after a lot of deliberation. Mine seems to sound more vibrant when the air is drier in the house, but I know that may not be a good thing if prolonged.
Have you played any gibson L-00s you could compare it to? If I'm not mistaken, that's kind of what they're going for, right?
I'm interested in these.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, my friend has both a 30's L-00 and a Waterloo WL-14. The CEO-7 was quite similar to them in sound, but still Martin-y. Like halfway between a Martin 00-18 and a Gibson L-00.
Have you played any gibson L-00s you could compare it to? If I'm not mistaken, that's kind of what they're going for, right?
I'm interested in these.

Last edited:

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
I own an early-1930s 12 fret Gibson L1. To my ears though the Martin CEO-7 still sounds more like a Martin dread that the Gibson. The Waterloo WL-14 comes closer to the Gibson and their take on the Kel Kroyden closer yet. Then, of course, there was also the now discontinued Gibson L00 Legend which was a spot on copy of a 1937 L00.

Last edited: