Martin Barre playing a Stratocaster

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
E868C0C6-4DB3-4321-AFC6-ECB5DE617911.jpeg

The counterpart to the flute whimsy of Ian Anderson, Martin was a guitar wielded for Jethro Tull from 1969 to 2011. Though Martin mostly played Les Pauls, he also played flute and mandolin, and as evidenced in this photo, a black Strat. It’s a Strat plus, which Fender no longer makes.

This clip of Jethro Tull performing Roots To Branches shows Martin with the Strat plus.

Although Martin is not sure what guitar he used on Stand Up, this track sounds like a Strat through a Leslie speaker.

Martin Barre is an excellent guitarist. It is a shame that he and Ian don’t play anymore, but the Martin Barre band is very good.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
View attachment 986751
The counterpart to the flute whimsy of Ian Anderson, Martin was a guitar wielded for Jethro Tull from 1969 to 2011. Though Martin mostly played Les Pauls, he also played flute and mandolin, and as evidenced in this photo, a black Strat. It’s a Strat plus, which Fender no longer makes.

This clip of Jethro Tull performing Roots To Branches shows Martin with the Strat plus.

Although Martin is not sure what guitar he used on Stand Up, this track sounds like a Strat through a Leslie speaker.

Martin Barre is an excellent guitarist. It is a shame that he and Ian don’t play anymore, but the Martin Barre band is very good.

Yup - my opinion of Ian dropped markedly when he dropped Martin. :(

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Tull is in my all time top 5, but i stopped listening to them long long ago sometime in the late 70s. Just didn't like anything they did after that, but at this point Ian can no longer even sing. His voice is gone. And because i never follow them anymore, while i DID know he parted ways with martin i never did know what happened. Did Ian and him have some issues or what?

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Tull is in my all time top 5, but i stopped listening to them long long ago sometime in the late 70s. Just didn't like anything they did after that, but at this point Ian can no longer even sing. His voice is gone. And because i never follow them anymore, while i DID know he parted ways with martin i never did know what happened. Did Ian and him have some issues or what?
I'm not sure - thought I recalled some statement that Ian just wanted "fresh blood", but I've also read that feelings may have been hurt. Anyone know for sure?

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Have you seriously not seen him perform with Lucia Micarelli? If so, you're missing out!

I'll check out the new guy (or gal in this case) sure, but Martin's a living legend.

...that's one impressive fiddleist!

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I saw an interview with Martin , amd I think he left on his own free will actually. He said Ian wanted som new blood( possibly better players) than a few of the band members but asked Martin to stay on, and I don’t think that sat right with Martin . So he said You might as well just start a whole new band …
I’m leaving too.
At least that’s the way I interpreted the interview I saw. And I admire him for that.he saw his other band members as friends ,
And if they’re getting fired he is too