1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin Barre? Martin Barre!!!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DOC DYA, Nov 25, 2020.

1. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Fretboard onanism- love the phrase! May I use it?

VintageSG likes this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

He has a huge guitar collection, but a few vintages ones only, but a great deal of said Hamers, PRS' and modded strats. My view of him is though with "thick" guitars, humbucking ones. LEs Paul Jr first, then SG (a lot), then Les Paul, then Hamers, and then PRS.

DOC DYA likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

A: Ian can stand, if he wants to, on one leg while playing his instrument, Leslie has to.

Rowdyman, 7171551 and Durtdog like this.
  4. MatsEriksson

http://martinbarre.com/martin-gear/

scroll down and you will find a pic of 3 Fenders. quote:

"Every guitarist needs a few Fenders and here are a few of mine! A 1969 Telecaster; I've owned several over the years and this is the best I've ever played."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gui...-jethro-tull-and-his-guitar-collection-632761

Scroll aside to page 2 of his pic of telecaster, and read about his collection, it is also the link where above pic is taken from. Mind you the underlined statement "I've owned several over the years" and that counts for Telecasters. Down below, plays Tele and smiling...

Skärmavbild 2020-11-25 kl. 20.14.16.png

DOC DYA likes this.
  5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just heard the first side of 'Thick As A Brick' on the radio.

Martin has always been a very solid guitarist. I marvel at how you barely notice him until he steps out for a solo, and then whoa.

- D

Rowdyman, Martian and MatsEriksson like this.
  6. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Saw JT in Houston in the early '80's when they were promoting their live "Burstin Out" album. Truly an amazing style of music. Ian Anderson in tights playing flute and posing ballet style was a head scratcher, but they could also rock pretty hard as I recall. Martin Barre was tight. After that, they fell off my radar for nearly 40 years. Maybe time to revisit them. Cheers

aging_rocker and MatsEriksson like this.
  7. MatsEriksson

JT fell off the radar after mid 80s for me. Crest Of A Knave was their last album worth any ****. Not much to hear/see after that. Ians voice had this "heart attack" in the mid 80s, and for "crest" he changed his voice considerably down an octave to "crooning" range, and basically, it was shot. Saw them live 1994 and his voice cracked up big time, even though they dropped keys on older songs.

Actually, last years summer (2019) the "new" Jethro Tull w/o Martin Barre passed by my town, in a venue close vincinity to where I live, but I passed. Nothing sold out, but some of my friends went, and asked me if I should go but I said "nooo way jose". I would even deliberately have passed, if I was put on some kind of guest list (for what reason I should end up there but anyway).

The only thing my friends remembered from the concert, was that there was some kind of intro video shown on screen where all former members passed by, in a sort of revue kind of way, but they forgot to put MB in there, and my friends even commented on that during its showing, like "WTF, no Martin Barre, in there!?!?!" Which would suggest some kind of bad blood between them.

Now, a major gaffe, but considering the avid fan, and detail-obsessive fan base JT has had/has, I find it peculiar that Jethro Tull or their production team, should think that they could get away with this major gaffe, and think no one would notice.

They've done that big time! Since this was the only thing they remembered from the show. I e a sour note, negative thing. Go figure.

DOC DYA likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Saw them in '71 or '72, the Thick as a Brick tour. They did pretty much that whole album, the whole Aqualung album, and some favorites from Stand Up, This Was, and Benefit. Great show, they were at the top of their game that night. Wondrin' Aloud, Cross Eyed Mary, Wind Up, Locomotive Breath!
    One of the most highly original bands ever. Like Traffic they mixed Folk, Blues, Rock, Jazz, Classical, and more into their own magical mixture.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here's Ian playing a LP too, instead of his Martin.

Ben-Zion and MatsEriksson like this.
  10. Suho

Suho Tele-Meister

I love JT. I took my brother to see them in, I believe '93. I was in college and he was in high school. It was the light/ dark tour. Outstanding performance. A memorable evening. A shame if you read the interviews where MB describes how IA broke up the band ostensibly to pursue other musical interests, and then immediately proceeded to tour with his JT replacement band singing Tull songs.
    Honestly, some of my favorites of theirs area the more acoustic or celtic influenced songs. They really have so much good music.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Huge JT and Martin Barre fan here. Saw them back in the late 70’s, early 80’s. Great show!

MatsEriksson likes this.
  12. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I saw Jethro Tull in concert in March of 1969. They were the opening act for B. B. King, believe it or not! I can't say if it was Mick Abrahams or Martin Barre on guitar, as Stand Up wasn't released until September of that year.

But I still have my original Chrysalis album with the *real* stand-up insert! :)

[​IMG]

13. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

Terrific!!! Thank you.

14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

I saw Jethro Tull around 1975-76 for the War Child tour at The L A Forum about 2 weeks after seeing Led Zep at the Long Beach Arena. Tull blew Led Zep away in every facet of how to put on a Great show. Led Zep was extending their songs to excruciating long jams while Tull was tight and concise. Ian was a master showman running up a large stairway that extended up and behind the stage then back down the other side. He was in great physical shape and sang without missing a note.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    MatsEriksson likes this.
  15. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Snazzy dresser too. Screenshot_2020-11-26-08-30-53-1.png

Telecaster88 and MatsEriksson like this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A few years ago, the wife and I went to see Biffy Clyro at the Williamsburg Music Hall in Brooklyn. We were in the balcony area, and after the opening act was done we were standing around talking to people and these two guys walked in. I started talking to one of them, a young British guy, and asked if he was a Biffy fan. He said not really, but a friend in England told him if he could get to see them in a small venue like Williamsburg he should definitely go. He said he was in town for a few days and was looking for bands to see.

At the time I was playing with the Arlene's World Famous Live Rock Karaoke Band, and I told him if he was free that Friday night he should come down and do a song with us. He said 'I'd like to, but I'll be playing that night.'

I asked him where he was playing and he said 'The Beacon Theater' (one of the most prestigious venues in NYC). I said 'The Beacon? Who are you playing with?'

He said 'I sing with a British band, Jethro Tull.'

Turns out the guy was Ian's 'stunt singer.' He was hired to hit all the parts that Ian could no longer sing.

- D

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

"Martin on marimba. Hooray, hooray!"

MatsEriksson likes this.
  18. MatsEriksson

Now, my JT story is that of seeing them first on their "War Child" tour of 1974. The first album with short regular songs and not the long concept albums of "Thick as A Brick" and "Passion Play". Now, two weeks earler I saw Queen with Freddie Mercury in the same venue.

Freddie didn't and did not ever hold/held a candle to Ian Andersons on stage charisma, and passion, and inspiriation.

Me and my friends concluded that. We were in awe of Queens gig for like 2 weeks, but then, JT just killed us like being run over by a bulldozer. Then as the encore of the TULL gig, Martin did a guitar solo "a cappela" and launched into, then unreleased/unheard of, the intro to "Minstrel In the Gallery". Mind you, not even Brian May did leave a lasting impression on me. In comparison to Martin Barre.

From that moment on, he owned.

DougM and StrangerNY like this.
  19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I'd just like to see him play more barre chords.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  20. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

Or play a Martin guitar more often.

HotRodSteve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.