1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Martin Barre? Martin Barre!!!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DOC DYA, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

On this forum, a lot of threads are about famous guitar players. But I seldom see the name Martin Barre... OK, he doesn't play a Telecaster, but, for me, he was a major influence, both in terms of sound, inspiration and articulation. Other influences were Mike Bloomfield (top!) and Peter Green.
    Oups, all three were Les Paul players (though Bloom' played a major Tele!!!)...
    This video shows how Martin Barre managed to keep such a well known solo ("Aqualung") fresh and intense for more than 40 years!!!:

Are there any other Martin Barre fans here?

2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Yes huge one here. It's old geezer stuff, but surely criminally underrated. I for one, think he did right when he left Tull, or Tull quit performing back in 2012. The revived stuff going on now is a mere joke. Ian should call it a day.

But Martin...yes. He was the main instigator and a mitigating one for me to listen at all to Jethro Tull. Otherwise they were just sort of meh. He had/has an idiosyncratic style yet limited to blues pentatonic but evolved. Yes, Minstrel In The Gallery is maybe expanded pentatonics but nevertheless. "Back Door Angel" and "Pibroch (Cap in Hand), and - actually - a lot from Crest of a Knave floats my boat. An own sound and didn't bend or vibrated too hystercally...a man of sound taste...

btw there have been posts about him before...

Ben-Zion, Jim622, JeffBlue and 4 others like this.
  3. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Stand Up!! Benefit!!!

4. MatsEriksson

yeah a stand up for the benefit of a minstrel in the gallery, who indeed was a war child, thick as a brick, but maybe A little too old for rocknroll, nevertheless a heavy horse with a passion for playing, albeit under wraps, still riding on a crest of a knave, bringing songs from the wood to anyone equipped with an aqualung.

If the group should do another album, recreating the first "This Was" with cover and all, they sure don't need any make up these days... ok that Martin wasn't on it.:twisted:;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    WalthamMoosical and DOC DYA like this.
  5. MatsEriksson

You sure 'bout that, really?:twisted: He qualifies as anyone...;)

Skärmavbild 2020-11-25 kl. 15.32.40.png

6. MatsEriksson

I've heard that Martins main and only guitar influence was none other than Leslie West from Mountain. Which gives me the riddle and quiz to you all....regarding the other man in Jethro Tull:

Q: Do you know the small tiny difference between Ian Anderson and Leslie West?

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely. I've always thought that the Aqualung solo doesn't get the admiration it deserves or mentioned nearly enough in the context of great solos. Plus his other work is also stellar.

Ben-Zion, Jerry_Mountains and DOC DYA like this.
  8. MatsEriksson

!?!?! It is the 20th greatest guitar solo of all time. Voted.

"Barre's signature solo on the 1971 Jethro Tull standard "Aqualung" was voted by the readers of Guitar Player magazine as one of the top rock guitar solos of all time. Also, in 2007, this solo was rated one of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos by Guitar World magazine. Authors Pete Brown and HP Newquest named Barre's "Aqualung" solo as the 25th best solo ever in the USA and 20th best solo ever in the UK.[22][23]"

DOC DYA likes this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice to see Martin getting some attention. Was a big fan as a kid and still listen to Stand Up and Benefit from time to time. Martin's been doing a solo tour the last few years. I'd love to see him.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh hell yeah.

Just like Jan Akkerman of Focus, Martin was shredding before it was even a term applied to guitar playing. He is a formidable player.

Ben-Zion, TG, Martian and 1 other person like this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Martin is greatly, albeit quietly, admired on here.
    I saw Tull a few times during the 80's, and Martin was a high point. He played very much for the song, eschewing fretboard onanism in favour of melody. His stuff sounds easy. The best often does. It isn't. His timing and phrasing are key to the way he provides movement within a song. Ne'er one to overplay.

12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I saw his band in a club a couple years back. Obviously they cover a lot of Tull. His front man/singer/second guitarist is way better on guitar than many 2nd guitarists. They were great! I liked how for many of the Tull covers they'd basically completely skip the soft acoustic part and just head directly into the rocking.

MatsEriksson and DOC DYA like this.
  13. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Thank you Mats for posting this image that brings Martin Barre in the "Great Telecaster family" (though every time I saw him live, he played a Les Paul and on later 'Tull videos he played the HH Strat that's in the background of your picture!).

MatsEriksson likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

He was playing PRS the last two times I saw him. Monster player, and one of the most tasteful in the business.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  15. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I've read and heard some interviews with Martin. He said he mostly likes the fat, thick tones, hence the heavy use of Gibson, Hamer, PRS types of guitars. Since he is interested in guitars in general, he respects many others like the Telecaster.

I saw Tull in '75. It was one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed. Martin was in full bloom and his performance was epic. He played Les Paul's and SG's that evening.

Sad how Ian dissolved the band and sent everyone packing.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a silly/dumb story.
    When I was 18, I almost came to blows with a friend over who was a better guitarist, Martin Barre or Eric Johnson.
    My friend Danny was championing Mr. Barre, I was Eric’s defender.
    Stupid.
    I said I was 18.
    Anyways, Mr. Barre sure played a bunch of memorable stuff!

17. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Aqualung solo was recorded with a Gibson Les Paul Jr if memory serves.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  18. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Saw JT 4 times and IA "solo" once. Always a treat.

Quite a storm of album names there. Glad I watched.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Great player. He was definitely an influence for me.....as well as the earthy, slightly askew, and very English vibe of Jethro Tull in general.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  20. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I remember being 18. I pretty much knew I was absolutely right about everything too! As Robert Zimmerman once wrote "...I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.