Martin Authentics

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Downshift, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Searched and didn't come up with a thread for the owners of Martin Authentic series guitars. Who's got 'em?

I have a 2010 D-18A 1937. I bought it from Rainbow Guitars in Tucson Arizona, in 2012. I wasn't in the market for an acoustic (and if I was, I'd be looking at J-45s) but I wondered into their acoustic room one day just after having lunch and played several great guitars. I got the acoustic bug, and I spent an entire afternoon playing everything from vintage Gibsons to brand new pristine Collings. It was a great way to spend a day off from work, but I still wasn't really interested in buying anything.

Then I played the D-18A. It was without a doubt the best acoustic guitar I had ever played. Probably the best guitar of any sort. I couldn't put it down. I had to have it. Its a no-joke, honest-to-goodness modern day holy grail guitar, and I wasn't going to walk away.

I called my wife, and told her to come down with three specific guitars. With those as trade, I was able to get the price down to the point where I could walk out with the guitar. It was 8:55pm and they were closing in five minutes. I'd been there for over eight hours loving this guitar and scheming to acquire it.

Four years later, its only gotten better. I've got some great electrics, but in a "what to grab in a fire" moment, there's not doubt, its the D-18A.

2. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

My bandmate has an actual 1937 D18. He calls it the D18 "Actual" model. True story! Lol. The authentics are nice too.

3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Had a 2008 d-18 1937 Authentic in sunburst. The neck proved way to big for me so I sold it. Great guitar, very light and responsive.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got my eyes on a high end acoustic for maybe next year sometime. It's the next purchase, anyway, after the thing I just, um, bought.... er....

Anyway... Authentics really interest me, so do Bourgeois. I have that Martin sound in my ear, though (I play a OM-28V), so one of the Authentics probably.

The thing that concerns me is the lack of a truss rod. Here in the humid-then-dry-then-humid.... northeast, how the heck can I expect to maintain decent Martin-spec action without a truss rod to adjust? And multiple saddles doesn't really seem like a "solution"...

Is it just not an issue for some reason I don't get yet?

Also, I normally play rosewood bodies. But a review on onemanz.com, I think, has me dreaming about a hog Authentic that has some rosewood complexity to the tone. I can't just go play these, so I have to rely on reviews and research. Perhaps at the very end of the search I may be able to play first, but it'll be difficult logistically.

5. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

I have a 2008, D-18 Authentic in sunburst. It is, by far, the finest instrument I have ever owned. I have played the snot out of this guitar, & I'm sad to report, it shows. I busked daily for several years in all sorts of weather, and the lack of a truss rod was never an issue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks!
    In the northwest, too... that's pretty good data. I could Arizona or SoCal not being a problem...

Well, I just snagged something tasty (NGD coming soon, I hope), so I have maybe a year to continue thinking about it. I guess I can always ask Martin, too...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.