Martha Stewart Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Dune736, Aug 18, 2019.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I would suspect that they are enamel. I don't put much faint in anything that is paint and primer all in one.
    Give it a test, let us know what you think.

rodman likes this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

can you put poly over latex?

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Certainly do some tests, to include final finish, but the colors looks pretty nice! Let us know what you find out.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You ned to read and understand the Material Safety Data Sheet to get a basic idea of what each product is - oil based enamels, acrylics, lacquer, polyurethanes etc. Not all ingredients are hazardous, and only hazardous ingredients need to be listed - but they can be listed using proprietary names, different chemical names etc - as long as emergency personnel can identify the CAS number the sheets are compliant.

Usually, though, you can figure out what something is *if* you understand basics of coatings formulation.

As far as "Martha Stewart Paints" They will be made by a large private labeler like Behr, Sherwin Williams or PPG. And it's just a "sub brand" - not a type of coating.

Some are acrylics, some are enamels, glitter paints, texture coatings and so on. so you have to research each specific one.

As far as "can "x" go over "Y" there is no absolute answer. There are *SO* many tricked-out formulas for even things like "acrylic paint" that it depends on EACH specific product, how they are to be applied, how thick, on what, for what use, under what conditions and so on.

In other words, you HAVE to test everything as identically as possible on the same kind of surface. You can easily get a dozen recommendations that are all different - and all of them will work in SOME cases.

That's why doing your own testing is the only way to get a solid answer.

Manual Slim likes this.
  5. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

They have some really nice colors-

Michaels often has 50-60 percent off coupons for those interested.

6. eslover

eslover Tele-Meister

In fact, I was seriously considering the color called Poodle Skirt which looks tremendously like Shell Pink but opted for Reranch.
    I couldn't find the MDS sheet and didn't want compatibility issues to creep up on me.

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

There's no reason you can't get a good looking guitar finish with any spray paint that comes with a decent spray tip. Sticking with compatible materials throughout the process, the painter is usually the limiting factor, not the materials. You just need to practice and do trials ahead of time.

I am curious: What are the "interesting" colors to you? I don't see any that call to me.

ponce likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Most likely. Try it on a test piece first though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.