Marshall Style amp question...

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
I have finally got the funds to purchase my life long dream amp, a Germino lead 55LV! Only problem is now Greg is not accepting any orders, not sure when he will and on top of that, when he does it is 5 month lead time. I understand the lead time as he is a one man shop and does incredible work. My question is though, I have researched the Suhr SL67 enough to know those two amps are more similar than different and I could get the same sound I am going. The Suhr is available right now and is also built and handwired in the US. Am I silly to wait around for the Germino? Does anyone have experience with both that can help me out? Or even better, does anyone want to sell me one? haha

But seriously is the Suhr on the same level and should I just pull the trigger on it?

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
Might be your best option.
But "It takes action to make action"
As soon as you do, you might find a Germino available.
That is my usual track record. I finally decide to get something else comparable that is available and then the original amp I wanted pops up.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
If he was accepting orders, I would gladly order and wait the five months. Problem is, he is not accepting new orders. At least not for the time being. That's what started my whole internal debacle. I have seen and heard enough clips to know the Suhr would give the sound I am after, but it certainly does have a more "modern" quality to the plexi sound. So I'm not sure if I am experiencing brand bias towards the germino or what. They are practically the same circuit it seems.

As a side note, now as I have looked for the Suhr, they are also out of stock everywhere and I have heard a couple month time frame until the dealer receives another... So again, if anyone wants to sell I am open haha, but it appears I have to play the waiting game either way.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Problem is, he is not accepting new orders. At least not for the time being.
Did you email or call him? If so, did he give any kind of guesstimate on when he might start taking orders?

If he did reply and said he had no idea when he might be taking orders again, I'd personally move on, either to the Suhr, or maybe even something else.

I guess I need to add that I feel that way because I mostly think that there's potentially no amp that I think is so good that I'd be willing to wait very long to get a hold of one. I mostly just play rock music, and any number of readily-available amps would work just fine for me.

...Or, put another way - I'd rather be playing music right now with anything decent I can get my hands on, instead of trying to imagine how much better things might sound if only I had X piece of gear that is not available to me.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
Did you email or call him? If so, did he give any kind of guesstimate on when he might start taking orders?

If he did reply and said he had no idea when he might be taking orders again, I'd personally move on, either to the Suhr, or maybe even something else.

I guess I need to add that I feel that way because I mostly think that there's potentially no amp that I think is so good that I'd be willing to wait very long to get a hold of one. I mostly just play rock music, and any number of readily-available amps would work just fine for me.

...Or, put another way - I'd rather be playing music right now with anything decent I can get my hands on, instead of trying to imagine how much better things might sound if only I had X piece of gear that is not available to me.
I did email him and he did not hint at any amount of time until he would resume orders. It's not that I don't have any amp though, I am playing an Orange currently and am happy with the tone. However, it is clearly not a plexi and I want that tone. Greg is the best in the game in my opinion. If people think the Suhr is right there with it though I am not opposed to picking up one of those.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been really impressed with the Suhr amps I’ve tried. I’d probably go that route.

Buy used if possible and keep Germino in mind. Maybe a used one will pop up, and in the meantime you’re enjoying making music with a great amp in its own right with the Suhr. And by then, maybe you and the Suhr will have a connection.

Lots of guys can make a great Plexi, though yes, everything I’ve heard about Germino is top notch.

It’s been over a month, did you make a purchase?

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
While the Germino is a fine amplifier, there are many high quality Plexi-style amps out there. While there will be fine differences, any of them will do the same thing.

One point, if you are not playing big stages, you might find a realistic copy of a Plexi to be a bit hard to handle and not very versatile. I don't like master volumes on these very much, but past 1-1/2 on the volumes will get most of us fired from a normal gig, and they really start to sing at about 4 or 5.

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
Get a deluxe reverb or reissue and put a celestion in it. It will sound closer to a lower volume plexi than you would think.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Maybe I’m low-brow, but when the idea of owning a mod’ed Plexi pops into my head, I start thinking about one of these to scratch that itch

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
I’ve been really impressed with the Suhr amps I’ve tried. I’d probably go that route.

Buy used if possible and keep Germino in mind. Maybe a used one will pop up, and in the meantime you’re enjoying making music with a great amp in its own right with the Suhr. And by then, maybe you and the Suhr will have a connection.

Lots of guys can make a great Plexi, though yes, everything I’ve heard about Germino is top notch.

It’s been over a month, did you make a purchase?
Alright, to touch base back on my own thread. Yes I did make a purchase, two actually haha.
I found an Echopark Vibramatic 23 head that was owned by Bones Owens. It is a take on a brownface fender deluxe and does the marshall thing pretty well.

And then a Germino Masonette 25 popped up, a late version. Actually Greg confirmed one of the last he made. It sounds fantastic! the 25 watts is certainly more manageable for what I do.