Marshall Slight Disappointment

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Unionjack515, May 27, 2021.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to add a cool custom-built Marshall to my collection and when I learned of the Marshall Design Store, it seemed like the perfect solution. I really like the JCM 800 Lead Series Studio Classic head and cab but wanted in in brown western tolex with cream grill cloth and old style gold block logos. Read through the Design Store section on Marshall’s website and it seemed like this wouldn’t be a problem—I assumed it would come at a price premium but was willing to pay. I even found an example of exactly what I was looking for that had sold in the UK at some point in the not so distant past and was convinced this was definitely do-able (see photo below). I reached out to my contact at CME to get a quote. He figured they were a Design Store dealer but didn’t know for sure. Ominous sign #1. He got back to me a week or so later and verified they were indeed a Design Store dealer but that custom designs required a minimum of 20 units per order. No mention of that part on Marshall’s website. I didn’t want to push back too hard but I was a little suspicious. So I reached out to Wildwood with the same inquiry. Their response was a little more informative. Marshall wasn’t currently accepting one-off orders due to the current supply issues (and quite possibly workforce issues as well) in the market. So...I’m only *slightly* disappointed because I certainly can appreciate what state the market is in right now. But still. Foiled by covid again!! I’ll have to put it on my list for when things clear up!

upload_2021-5-27_20-1-20.png

gridlock likes this.
  2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I wish the disappointments in my life were this small.

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I don't understand. You didn't place an order for 20? Keep one, sell the others at a 5.25% premium, free amp! Problem solved.

Nelg, Tim S and Unionjack515 like this.
  4. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

THAT is big picture thinking. I’ll let you know when my home equity line of credit is approved...ha

5. fiveightandten

fiveightandten TDPRI Member

If a time comes when they are accepting one-offs, I’d complete that look by omitting the corners and seeing if they can substitute toggle switches (the latter being quite unlikely). That block logo looks positively out of place with the JCM800 aesthetics. Just my 2 cents.

You could always order one as standard and make the desired changes yourself though.

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Huh?
    Just buy the std one and have a custom cab made?
    Easy, peasy.

Hell, for that money I'll make u one, and my cabs are better than stock!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.