Marshall Shredmaster died on me, any tips on a good pedal to replace it?

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
I never thought it was that special, but looking back on some of the recordings I did with it, it was a pretty cool pedal. Any tips on what would be a good pedal to replace it with?

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
Try tightening the foot switch. And in input and out jacks. Probably won’t work but you never know. It has worked for me in the past.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Have you tried a wall wart? No power sounds like one of the most common and inevitable issues pedals have....broken battery wire. Simple fix even if you are a noob at soldering. If you have a wall wart with the proper polarity u can try it and if it works then you 99% have a bad battery wire. On the other hand, if u normally use a wall wart try and battery and if that works the power jack on the pedal has a bad solder joint or the wall wart is bad.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Isn’t the Barber Dirty Bomb based on the Shredmaster?

I have a Dirty Bomb, but rarely use it. Never tried a Shredmaster, but the Dirty Bomb sounds like metal to me. Not my cup of tea, but maybe you’d like it.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I never thought it was that special, but looking back on some of the recordings I did with it, it was a pretty cool pedal. Any tips on what would be a good pedal to replace it with?

I'm gonna tag @11 Gauge on this one as I believe he is a fan of the pedal and may be able to help in other ways as well.

Les H

Tele-Holic
Did you ever get it fixed?

Back in '91-'92 when those first came out I never heard anything heavier stompbox wise at that time. I was playing in an originals thrash band in late '92 - early '93 and the other guitarist was using one through a solid state PV Musician 400 head and 412 cab and his sound was massive for that genre. I wanted one desperately back then but never did get one.

I think there is some value in those old Marshall pedals and I'd try to fix it if it were mine.

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
Did you ever get it fixed?

Back in '91-'92 when those first came out I never heard anything heavier stompbox wise at that time. I was playing in an originals thrash band in late '92 - early '93 and the other guitarist was using one through a solid state PV Musician 400 head and 412 cab and his sound was massive for that genre. I wanted one desperately back then but never did get one.

I think there is some value in those old Marshall pedals and I'd try to fix it if it were mine.
yeah, I think I will. It definitely has that low end crunch that sounds great when you mute the bass strings. I do punk/post-punk/hard rock so it definitely is great for that. I was thinking about getting a fulltone ocd in the mean time though. Would you recommend any other pedal?

Les H

Tele-Holic
yeah, I think I will. It definitely has that low end crunch that sounds great when you mute the bass strings. I do punk/post-punk/hard rock so it definitely is great for that. I was thinking about getting a fulltone ocd in the mean time though. Would you recommend any other pedal?

Based on my 30-year-old memory of the Shredmaster and being an owner of an OCD I would seriously recommend a Pro Co Rat 2 which I also own for something more in the ballpark of the Shredmaster. $65-$70 new.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Based on my 30-year-old memory of the Shredmaster and being an owner of an OCD I would seriously recommend a Pro Co Rat 2 which I also own for something more in the ballpark of the Shredmaster. $65-$70 new.

I have an original Marshall Shredmaster, a Jekyll & Hyde which has one side based on the Shredmaster, and a Rat.
Neither alternative does the SM thing but the J&H is closer.
Get it fixed ASAP!

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Got a soldering iron? BYOC kits are top-notch.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm gonna tag @11 Gauge on this one as I believe he is a fan of the pedal and may be able to help in other ways as well.

Sorry that I'm just seeing this now.

Yeah, I worked on a SM for at least one person - I don't remember what maintenance needed to be done, but I do know that the jacks and switch are weak spots. The Drivemaster has a ribbon cable that can be problematic. Maybe the SM does too (it's been a few years since I had one disassembled).

The pots get cruddy and can cause problems, too.

I'm a fan of the SM just for the contour control alone - you really can go from scooped mids to midrange-laden with just the twist of that single knob.

I love how different the Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, and Shredmaster all were. Marshall was freakin' brilliant with those three designs.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Got a soldering iron? BYOC kits are top-notch.

Actually, if it's a DIY kit, I'd personally go for the Aion FX Solstice complete kit.

Aion FX Solstice