Marshall SC20C JCM800 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mkdaws32, Oct 10, 2019.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not in the market for a new amp right now, but I plugged into one of these last week at Long and McQuade and was pretty blown away. Store was pretty empty so they let me crank it pretty good for a couple minutes. It sounds and feels like a JCM800 should but lower power and more portable. Possibly my dream amp - I may have to get in the market for a new amp :). This could turn me back off of modelling and onto tubes again ;). I could not believe it was a 10” speaker.

Anyone else have any experience/thoughts on these?

Dismalhead likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm loving the Silver Jubilee version of this amp. Been a bit superceded by my Superchamp. But the JCM or JTM versions of this are cool.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, looks nice. That and the mini-silver jubiliee

4. mkdaws32

Yeah - I saw that one there too - gotta go back and try the Jubilee this week. I admit I like the plain-jane JCM800 2204 more than the full size Silver Jubilee, but that may not be the case for these lower power models.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The SJ is a bit more versatile - you can get a nice Marshall woody JCM vibe going as clean, then have a gonzo singing lead. Crank mids and bass all the way up. But that JCM800 is a great sound all by itself.

mkdaws32 and MilwMark like this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. It’s real. If you live the JCM800 thing, the Studio Classic nails it. Even in a single 10 combo.

Definitely a live (not home) amp though. It has tons of output and needs the Master and Gain cranked to get that full sound.

I find it to be much more lively, punchier and outright louder than the mini-Jubilee.

Here’s a couple pics rocking mine at a large outdoor festival. Amp is mic’d but only for the crowd. No problems with the Studio Classic serving as my monitor on a good sized stage and covering the stage, wherever I roamed.

F3523307-C01E-4CFC-9507-7A8DDA025657.jpeg

07DAB1C2-825B-4225-A7C7-44C178221A10.jpeg

mkdaws32 likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

Cool - yeah I’m my context it would be for live - probably cranked on the 5 watt setting. It would always be backstage and mic’d up. We use in ear monitoring exclusively.

8. mkdaws32

A 2203 or 2204 would be way too loud, but is my holy grail amp tone. I was surprised how well this 10” 20watt combo could nail it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.