Marshall Origin?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Aug 5, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

On a whim after posting the above i decided to remove the mod i did and ya know what, i was wrong. It sounds better w/o it even tho i need mo0re pedal boost without the mod. It just sounds so sweet and chimey stock when i roll my guitar down to 3-5. And on 10 the drive is more 70's classic rock cranked marshall kinda sound. So very uncompressed yet with sustain which may seem like an oxymoron but it's not. I really think like me a lot of people give up on them or walk away from a demo because they haven't figured out how to get what they want from them. Not that i gave up, but i was about to when thru a lot of experimenting things started to all in place and i started to "get it". I won't know just how right or wrong i am till i gig it in a few weeks, but knowing how things at home translate live, my guess is it is very likely to be one of the best live tones i have had. I have very high hopes. The day i got it and for a few days thereafter i wanted to return it. So glad i didn't.

ooglybong, Axis29 and codamedia like this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

This is how I was feeling about my Origin 50... and when I finally got to take it on a gig it did not let me down. It was every bit as good as I felt it would be.

ooglybong likes this.
  3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I didn't feel that way at first, but after whats been i guess a week and a 1/2 of ownership now, i have learned how i need to use it and i think i will feel as u did my first time out. I can't wait.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't hear much comment here about the blend knob - for me it was something I played with for awhile and then forgot about it.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I have the Marshall Origin 20 watt head. First Marshall I've ever owned. I got tired of the Fender sound. The Origin 20 into a Mojotone 1x12 with a Celestion Neo Creamback is blissful. I love that amp. I highly recommend them to friends.

6. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Bought an OR-20 head and match it with a variety of cabs. I love this amp. I wish they had come out back when I was gigging, I think it would have been a perfect amp for small club jobs.

BB likes this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Do you mean the TILT control?

IMO... it's one of the great features of this amp and comes in really handy if you change guitar "types" often (single coil vs humbuckers). If anything, that's the control I use the most once I'm dialed in for gain/tone.

Vizcaster, ooglybong, Glen W and 2 others like this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Do you mean the tilt control? It actually comes up in conversation quite a bit, as to working well in conjunction with the presence and treble controls, especially.

If I'm playing my Tele with a Chopper T, I tend to run the presence around 2, and the tilt around 6. If I'm playing one of my Teles with more traditional-wind pickups, I tend to drop the presence to 0, and pull the tilt back to 3 or 4.

...And if I'm playing a guitar with humbuckers, I'll usually run the presence around 2-3, with the tilt full up at 10.

As long as I don't have to adjust the gain or master controls very much, I typically also don't end up having to mess with the bass/middle/treble controls that much, when I switch between guitars, because the tilt and presence controls work so well for that. It's really just the guitars with higher output pickups that have me adjusting the gain just a bit lower, usually just dropping from 6 down to maybe 5.5.

I use my Origin 20H with a 1X12 cab with an Emi C. Rex. You hear some folks regularly say that the Origin is on the brighter side, so IMO this speaker is actually a really good match. If someone is using a more typical bright speaker, I guess I could picture them just cranking the tilt control way low (probably down to maybe 2), and maybe even running the presence at 0. I think these users probably also tend to leave the boost on. With the C. Rex, I typically leave the boost turned off.

Vizcaster and BB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.