Marshall Origin?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Aug 5, 2021.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Yes they have a lot of highs, but they also have a lot of ways to control those highs. If you tried the combos I think those speakers need a good break in as well.

Yes it is... thanks again for the suggestion a few weeks ago.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Origin 20 combo comes stock with a 10” Celestion V-Type. I’m not sure how it compares to the 12” V-types I have, but I found it a bit harsh at first in my BassBreaker cab - so much that I was going to replace it. But it broke in quite quickly and smoothed out very nicely. I actually ended up buying a second BassBreaker cab with the same speaker. The broken-in V-type makes my Private Jack sound muffled in direct comparison - and the Private Jack was my favorite speaker.

Marc Morfei, codamedia and Tim S like this.
  3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

100% agree with this post. It took me a while to "dial in" the sound.

I think part of it was me getting used to it and the speakers in the SV212 cab coming into their own.

Brightness is still a factor I'm always balancing though. Both with the O20 and the SV20.

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I stayed away from the Origin for a long time because in YouTube videos it sounded thin and trebly. Once I finally was able to try one in person, I discovered the ways to dial out the highs. With the boost engaged (it mostly boosts the lows) and the EQ backed off, it can get as thick and chunky as you want.

Oddly, I was steered toward the Origin when someone on TDPRI suggested it as an alternative to the 5e3. Those amps might seem like opposites. But the goal was to get natural thick amp breakup at reasonably low volume without pedals, without the muddy low end. I have to say the Origin20 does that. Obviously it's way different from a 5e3. But it can give you that sweet freight-train sound at moderate volume. And it definitely does NOT have a flubby low end.

5. codamedia

I have an Origin 50h... and when I kick it into the lowest power setting, crank the gain, pull the boost, and grab a humbucking guitar - it's Neil Young (5E3) all day long :p. Totally different character from the other two settings.

6. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

Not the only one. I record at home with a Suhr RLIR. My 5E3 hates the RLIR, but I've discovered that the O20H run direct into the RLIR sounds a LOT like the 5E3 mic'ed up but without me having to high pass some of the low end out.

Marc Morfei, Axis29 and codamedia like this.
  7. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

Well I bought one after the response I received here, and I have to say that I'm blown away. And I'm shocked that Marshall would ever sell them for so little, as I'm sure many people would be more than satisfied by buying this as opposed to one of their $1k< UK models.

This isn't some neutered knockoff, this amp absolutely has the "too loud" quality of Marshall , as well as the tone that I was looking for. The power scaling really works quite well, as the desired breakup doesn't really occur until around halfway on the MV and that's definitely achievable at reasonable volumes on the low setting.

As someone suggested, I can see these becoming much more valuable once they are discontinued. I may buy another for that reason.

Are there any other gems from Marshall that a non-biasing noob like me can handle? The brand definitely has the sound I'm looking for, and obviously makes quality products

8. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Holic

Don't write Marshall sell the amp for so little, you never know, they might be reading that :)

I agree with you, great amp at a reasonable price, which is rare on the market. I sold all my other amps (including Freeman Runt, Princeton) and only kept that one.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I find myself plugging into the Origin20 as often or more than my DRRI. Only complaint is the effects loop in the Marshall is a little noisy. Also the master volume seems to be very interactive with the gain knob (that's a kind way of saying that backing off the master neuters the amp).

10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve probably owned at least 40 Marshall’s over the years. Been a Marshall guy since my late teens. The oldest Marshall being a 1969 and the newest amps being a 1974x, a 1973x, a 1962HW Bluesbreaker, and all three Astoria models.

Last weekend I picked up a floor-model Origin 50 for 1/2 price of retail. I’m impressed with the amp. Getting good Marshall tones from the amp with and without pedals and the three power settings work really well. Especially enjoying the 5 watt settings with my OD pedals.

9FEFE8EF-477C-4C66-8A20-E6394478C805.jpeg

BB, Telekarster, Glen W and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an OR20 combo and it’s one of my most favorite amps of all time. And I’ve owned literally hundreds. From vintage to boutique, to consumer grade off-the-shelf stuff.

It’s not an 800. Nowhere NEAR that much gain. It’s not even a Plexi. Not that much gain, either.

It’s mostly a really early Marshall voicing. We’re talking the ‘62-‘66 JTM amps. Pre-Plexi.

I think it’s amazing. But it’s admittedly not for everyone.

BB, ce24, ooglybong and 3 others like this.
  12. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's cool man! Very glad to know that the responses helped you, and that you got what you were looking for! Good for me to know too cause I been GASing for one as well ;)

patriotplayer90 likes this.
  13. codamedia

Finally did a gig last night where I could take my Origin 50 head and 1x12 (Cannabis Rex) cabinet. I used my Helix as a pedal board (no amp/cab modeling) and the whole thing sounded great. Power certainly wasn't an issue, I chugged along with both the gain and master around 5, in the MID power setting. It was a very loud stage, this amp was barely breaking a sweat.

I still can't believe how great these amps are... or how they possibly hit the price point.

ooglybong, Jakedog and StevesBoogie like this.
  14. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I love my Origin 20H...even after it blew 2 pre amp tubes....sounds great now with the new tubes...:)

15. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

So ive been looking for a MIAB pedal (up to about 10th one now.....) to use with my Vox AC!5 - and from reviews Ive seen the Kingsley Constable probably sounded best to me. Problem is these will cost me more here in Oz than a new Origin 20 head. So im considering buying one - however have only one cab after selling off all rest except one that has a celestion alnico gold.
    Any experience how this would sound through that cab or would I be best with a different speaker.
    Cheers

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, IMO that's a characteristic weak spot of many tube amps that have a mostly low gain preamp. And in the case of this particular amp, it has the traditional pre-phase inverter MV, which IMO only tends to work well if there's a minimum of three preamp gain stages, and the Origin only has two.

Tim S likes this.
  17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

probably sound pretty good, maybe a little on the bright side -- these amps seem to sound best with speakers in the Greenback family but there's a lot of control over the top end. I imagine you could work up a usable tone.

You should be aware that the Origins are not adept at that classic JCM 800 grind, which it seems like most MIAB pedals are pointed toward. I'd encourage you to experiment with one, though -- it's a great-sounding amp if you can get it to do what you need it to.

Rob77 likes this.
  18. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I just got the 20 combo recently and i have some observations. It will be long ! First of all, clean volume IS available with the 20, but it's a matter of speaker choice. If you have the combo like me you will have to get a more efficient speaker or use an extention cab. I made a new baffleboard from mine and put a 12" in it, a celestion 100 watter and to my ear it ruined the tone so the stock baffleboard went back in. But while the 100 was only 2 db higher in sensitivity the amp got a lot louder at lower master volume settings which i attribute to the sensitivity and probably also being a 100 watter that stays clean longer. But the stock speaker sounded so much better i put it back. Moral to the story, find a good sounding speaker that has higher sensitivity and wattage. The V type is likely made to breakup fairly early. But it WILL be loud enough at band volume so that turning your guitar down will clean up beautifully if thats the ay u get cleans. It IS for me. But w/o a louder speaker u won't be getting those loud clean amp cleans. Personally i hate that type of clean myself but if thats what you want and it's your main thing then get the 50 to be safe, but with the right speaker(s) with the 20 i don't see anyone being unhappy because who buys a marshall for loud fender type cleans? Anyways, the 20 can get loud and u can get beautiful cleans if not those uncompressed loud fender type cleans. Oh, i also tried a green back in it but it just breaks upo so much and so low i personally can't see using them with this amp unless you use multiples. I like a bit of give in a speaker but that was just over the top for my tastes.

As to distortion, as most of u know it makes ZERO at low master settings with low output guitars like vintage style strats and teles. Very high output pickups will do it, but with strats or teles u need a clean boost. I had to use a 26db clean boost pedal to get a classic rock degree of preamp OD at low volume, so its preamp is HYPER clean. I figured out a one wire mod to get more gain but it disables the boost more or less. I am going to continue to try mods for it tho, as i think it will be a more versitile amp if you can get good preamp distortion that will do the stock sound with the gain way down so you can balance pre and and power distortion at volume but have home practice OD without the need for a pedal. There are a few ways to do it but being new i am in not rush to start cutting into it and want to wait till my first band excursion in about 3 weeks so i can see how i it works in a band setting to get a idea of just what i want from it. But this amp, as simple as it may seem, is a very complicated beast in how it delivers the goods because of the VAST difference between loud and low volumes. You have to find very very different ways to run it high volume vs low. I want to make that gap less wide by adding more preamp gain. If i find the idea mod, and i have a good idea of what i need to do, i will share it.

Overall i really like the 20 combo so far. Like someone else noted its a beautiful amp. IMO of the uncountable amps i've owned since the 70's, this is easily the most beautiful. As shallow as that may be, it makes me want to work even harder to make it perfect. It's also light and compact. And to anyone who fears the 10" is too small, forget about it ! When i tried that 12 in it i realized the low and was a bit bigger but that the 10's low end is much better. Tighter and punchier and no need for more, so a 12 is unnecassary IMO. I was worried about a 10" combo but i was wrong. Plus a 10" extention will add a bigger sound if needed. I plan to use mine alone with the band first time out and see how it does, but i i'll put the greenback i have in another cab and bring that just in case. If it needs more i will eventually look for another higher power 10 for an ext cab like a creamback maybe. I have read bad reviews of the V type that comes in it, but i really think it's not bad at all.

I think the #1 thing people who are considering the origin no matter which version you get is to realize that if you are a player who uses a lot of low output guitars like vintage style fenders, you will get ZERO distortion from these amps even with gain on 10 and boost on at low master settings. You will need pedals. But at high master settings the power amp will start to drive a lot, tho not necessarily enough if you need a lot of gain and for that pedals will help find that sweet spot. Also not at low master settings the power attenuation settings do very little. They only really make a difference when at loud master settings. So i u r considering one, depending on YOUR style and guitars and what want from it, be prepared to spend a lot of time experimention to get what u want from it. You may e one of those who's expectations will fit perfectly with the amp and find what u want right away. But those who demo them and come away with a negative experience it's because it takes time and probably some outboard gear and a lot of experimenting to find what u need. Like i said earlier, it may seem like a simple amp but for some who want to use it like a jcm 800 or dsl or such, it doesn't work that way. It's a preamp and power amp balancing act where u have to find what guitars, pedal, and speaker find the perfect balance for u. In my case it's been a sort of ordeal but i amp finding some tone in it that i haven't been about to get from other marshalls, and i have had a lot of em. The 20 is very different than other marshalls in that u can get power amp distortion at usable band volumes. You just have to learn how to get that balance between preamp/pedal overdrive and power amp overdrive at the volume u need to have it happen at. It;s pretty much back to the old ways when people had to do that same balancing act with plexis and other old marshalls, but with the origin, at least the 20, it's far more doable w/o going deaf.

ooglybong likes this.
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

jtm45s and plexis can get insanely bright, clean or dirty. brighter than many fenders. idk who put this idea in people's heads that marshalls are dark amps.

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

it's a cool amp but IMHO they missed a shot to just slap a jtm45 or plexi front end on both 84s or 34s and offer it at import price. probably cheaper too (less components, no design overhead). the preamp almost looks like a BJR or something modern like that...input, gain, eq recovery, effects recovery, LTP.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.