Marshall Origin?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Aug 5, 2021.

1. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

So I absolutely love the Marshall sound. Always have, and I'm coming to accept that I always will. The issue is that their best amps are completely unusable at home or even gigging without an attenuator, which I have awful experiences with. I had a JCM 800 which was a beast, but am I wrong to say that it's a one-trick pony? If a telecaster doesn't sound great running through an amp, I'm a bit suspect.

I'm really impressed with how the Origin amps sound In the demos that I've heard. And they are dirt cheap. It's really what I've always looked for-a reasonable interpretation of a classic and versatile sound in a more "polite" and reasonable form factor. If you've tried one of these, would you say that this would do it for me? And if not, is there a better option?

Jakedog, Arfage and Dr Improbable like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been sort of GAS'ing for one of these myself. I too am a Marshall fan after I got my DSL40CR about 2 years ago. I agree that, at the price point, I don't see how one could go wrong so... that's why I'm seriously considering one ;) I need to get to my local shop and try one out, just haven't had the time to do that yet.

ooglybong and patriotplayer90 like this.
  3. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Holic

Dik Ellis, ColdEye, JeffBlue and 5 others like this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

A good-sounding and versatile amp, quite a bit cleaner than what people think of as a stereotypical Marshall sound. You can get some grind out of it with the boost on & the knobs way up but it seems more at home in the edge-of-breakup range. The 12" speaker & bigger box of the 50 give it an edge over the 20 to my ear, if you're looking at the combo version. More low end, a more solid sound.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I don't if I even have a use for it...

( smaller gigs now/small amps and I live in an apartment)

.. but I bet I'd love playing thru a cranked Origin 20 Combo- just hearing from the demos, a really good full sound with some OD and not too much distortion.

If I had mo' money ( expendable $$),
    I'd buy one and just make it work for my gigs! Curious, Ha! I bet I'd like it even all clean

Telekarster likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't own one; I don't need one; but I want one :) :)

I have Marshall-esque tones from my H&K 18watt head - it sounds really good actually. But I have always wanted a "real" Marshall :) I love the JCM 800 sound and I love the JCM 800 20 watt that they offer now - it really captures the JCM 800 vibe at a lower volume. I also tried the 20 watt Silver Jubilee and really, really did not like it compared to the 20 watt JCM800 combo or the Origin 20 combo. The Origin would be my choice out of the three, regardless of price (if I needed another amp - which I don't ;) ) The Origin does not do the JCM high gain sound out of the box, but a good boost will get you there in spades - which is how they used to get that sound with the Plexis and Super Leads, anyway. I actually thing the Origin is more versatile - it has great cleans, as well. That might be due to the use of the cheaper Celestion V-type speaker in Origin Combo. It straddles the fence between a V30 and a Greenback quite well, in my opinion. More grit than a Greenback, but less of the harshness you can get with a V30 sometimes. FWIW, I use my H&K head with two 1x12 cabs with V-type speakers.

Telekarster and teletail like this.
  7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Recently got a 20 Origin combo. Here’s my NAD thread where I shared my thoughts
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-marshall-origin-20c.1073564/
    and here was my “pondering” thread that preceded it where others chimed in with helpful tips:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/marshall-origin-combo-help-wanted.1072704/

The power attentuation works really well, but even the 20 on low mode is still a whole lot of amp. Doesn’t break up until volume is well beyond bedroom level. I’d call it comfortably basement level tho for the edge of breakup sound that I’m after. Nothing not to love about that, especially at that price.

You it’s also easy to push with a light OD or boost to get some great Marshall tones at even lower volume, if that’s your thing.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For home use, if you are a head+cab user, the Hotone Purple Wind sounds well above its price point. Not valve at all, but a great amp for low/moderate volume playing.
    The Jet City JCA20 + JCA22 heads are 'ball park' and they have very good EQ sections. Claimed 20 watts, not going to argue. I have both the Hotone and a Jet City JCA20h and I can't see myself getting rid.

The Origin is what you want, so go for it. Buy second hand and make it work.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've wondered if one couldn't build the 60's 50 watt version but with smaller transformers and get a decent club amp that wasn't hellacious loud. But of course the closed back 4 x 12 is a lot of the sound too.
    I had the 50 with a double stack back in the day, and even the 50 will tear your head off.

aging_rocker, BB and mkdaws32 like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say based on your comments about having a JCM800 "Marshall sound" and looking at an Origin as the "Marshall sound", you need to step back and study up on Marshall.

I also love Marshall sound, but would never say "THE Marshall sound".

Some of us love the JCM800 sound and others of us love the Origin/ JTM45 sound.

I don't like either of those Marshall sounds!
    I have not tried an Origin though and don't know for sure I wouldn't like it, since it has no tube rectifier and I don't know what aspects of the JTM45 they put into the Origin while using very different components and design.

Then looking at your comments about Marshalls not being good at home or at a gig that requires low volume, this get complex and really requires more study to understand what you want and what tube amps do.

Marshall, Orange, Mesa and many others, have done a great job making tube amps that get the cranked amp like distortion in the preamp.
    The JCM800 was the first and more primitive preamp distortion based Marshall, but many models since have gotten much better.

The other thing that happened as the tech advanced is music styles also advanced.
    Marshall ,makes amps for classic Rock, hard Rock, Blues, Metal, and I suppose D'Jent.

Buy the wrong Marshall and you won't get the right Marshall sound.

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks man! I was gonna post your threads for the OP but couldn't find em. Actually, it's because of your threads that I'm leaning towards the 20... once I get approval from the boss to bring home yet another amp... oye! :eek::eek::cool::D

12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I don’t know what you consider to be Marshall’s best amps, but I find a DSL40CR eminently usable at home volume levels without the need of an attenuator. It gets its sound from its preamp, so the Master volumes work fine. And it’s still loud enough to play out.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried a couple of those in circa 2001 and literally hated them.
    But I was looking for Plexi sounds and trying them at GC.
    Plus I've read over and over that the early version (of the "DSL40") sucked and the recent version is great.

New Marshalls include models that are so cheap, the OP could buy one of the home models in 1w or 5w for screaming crunch at whatever home volume needs are cramping his amps.

I do fine with my 18watters and dirt pedals, or simply play the durn things clean, when my wife is sleeping in the next room.
    I also find my Orange OR15 on the 7w setting gets nice scream at lower volumes.
    A 5w Champ is too loud when turned up to distort, but the literally mountains of used amps that deliver low volume preamp based distortion nicely is HUGE.

Online though, shoppers get confused and I'm with them on that.
    Too many options, many of which would satisfy most players who seek the legendary whisper volume screaming stack, because they chose to live in places where they can't play loud guitar.

I think the niche market that prefers a way too big amp plus an attenuator is also confusing to shoppers who might assume those niche players do that because preamp dirt is universally terrible.

Most Rock recordings made after 1980 are preamp based amp dirt, not cranked 50-100w amps.
    But a sizable portion of home players still think they need a big amp to get a tiny sound?

Tim S and Dr Improbable like this.
  14. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I tried out an Origin 50 in the store recently, and it wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. I ended up buying the DSL20 combo, but it is in no way quiet enough to play with someone sleeping upstairs. At low levels it sounds like a toaster full of gravel! It is VERY harsh at low volume/low power setting.

I bought one of these, and it sounds great at bedroom volume levels:

JHS.jpg

I suspect that with pedals, you could play an Origin combo quietly, with great breakup.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  15. mkdaws32

I could not have said this better! And I still want the Origin ;)

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my O20 head! I also have a Traynor YBA1 which is very close to a Bassman and the JTM 45….i can duplicate it with the O20 just not as freaking loud…..the MV on the 20 is priceless.

17. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

Used to have the 50 head. Kick myself for selling it. Been looking local for one since

ce24 and Dr Improbable like this.
  18. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

ooglybong, ce24 and Dr Improbable like this.
  19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've had an Origin 20 head for a little over a year now, and it's one of my best amp purchases of all time.

Whether or not it sounds like a 'real' Marshall is almost besides the point for me, because it offers things in one complete package that other Marshalls don't have. I love that the 20 is cathode bias, so it will never require bias adjustments. I love that it uses EL34 power tubes instead of the usual lower-watt suspects, like the 6V6 or or EL84. I actually prefer that it doesn't have a tube rectifier, because that's one less thing to have to worry about.

IMO, it's the combination of the gain, master, tilt, and presence controls especially that make the Origin more than the sum of its parts.

And then consider that the boost and tube-driven effects loop are both footswitchable, and it just makes the Origin even more appealing.

I'm actually afraid that Marshall will either discontinue the Origin, or change its design. I'm thinking about getting at least one more for that reason.

20. mkdaws32

ce24 and StevesBoogie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.