1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Origin Series

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jbnaxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Circuit differences aside between the two, I think the biggest sonic differences are due to the following:
    • pair or quad of ceramic 12s in a Marshall cabinet, vs. quad of alnico 10s in the Bassman
    • closed back cab with the Marshall, open back with the Bassman
    • KT66s in the JTM45, vs. 6L6 or 5881 in the Bassman
    I bet a Bassman as a head, with KT66s, into a Marshall 4X12 cab, or even a closed back 2X12 with Celestions, would probably sound pretty similar to a TJM45.

...If you could re-baffle a Bassman for 2X12 (heresy, I know), and put a pair of greenbacks or similar in it, it would probably sound a bit more similar to a JTM45, even with an open back cab and no KT66s.

Axis29, Glen W and Jakedog like this.
  2. xland

xland Tele-Holic

I play through an Origin 20 at home with a 10" Creamback. I also use a Mini Spark in front of it for an additional boost. Love it.

9-8-2020.jpg

StevesBoogie, Glen W and Jakedog like this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It seems I am a little late to the party....

I, like @Jakedog, own a 20 Combo. I grabbed the 20 for a particular situation and knew that 1/5, 3 and 20 watt settings would come in handy, and they have.

I've been wanting a JTM45 style amp for a while, even before I bought my '59 Bassman Reissue. I was so excited when Marshall announced these! I gotta admit, I have NOT been let down.

I run all my pedals up front (I just refuse to do the whole 4 cable method...) This is the first amp I've had with an effects loop in close to 20 years, so I just am not motivated.

The silent D/I thing blew my mind and has come in handy several times! Such feature rich amps for such reasonable prices!

4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I am GASing so hard for an Origin 20 -- it just checks all the boxes I'm looking for to add some Marshall tones to my Fender/Vox lineup at a reasonable price. Personally, I love that it's got a lower gain voicing than a Plexi-style Marshall, I'd rather have more headroom since I use pedals for heavier crunch tones.

In 2021, however, I am going to be a good boy and will wait to fund my Origin 20 purchase from selling off some old gear that I'm not using anymore.

ce24, Axis29, StevesBoogie and 2 others like this.
  5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As long as you got enough volume for the speaker to open up.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

That's partly why I threw a greenback in the 20 combo -- a less-efficient speaker makes the amp work a little harder at any given volume, and I'm running this thing wide-open a very small percentage of the time. Also opens up the low end.

Axis29 and privatesalt like this.
  7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Thanks to all who shared knowledge on this thread. I now know that I am not alone in my appreciation of how great a clean Marshall tone can be.

I had a budget set aside for a new Strat and have been actively looking for one. I can’t find one that even comes close to the one I already have.......

...... Maybe I’ll invest in the Origin instead.

Note: on the Marshall website there is a series of videos that do a great job of demoing the 20.

8. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

You ever experiment with changing your preamp tubes? I've got a hand-wired Tweed Deluxe and if I run it with ywo 12ax7's it's dirty but you could run it with a 12aU7 or a 5751,12at7 any of those tubes will fit and it would drastically change the tone. In my app I can use either of 5y 3 or gz34 for the rectifier and that also changed with the amp sounds and feels you might look into it look at the tube doctor or a website of somebody that sells a variety of preamp tubes and maybe ask customer support and change it to preamp tubes try something different if the origin amp has preamp tubes?

9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I have a VHT Special 6 and have tried 5751 pre amp tube in place of the 12ax7. In the Special 6, there was a significant loss of tone in the high and high mid frequencies. I put the 12ax7s back in.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I've tried most of the amps mentioned above. The Origin 5, Origin 20, Studio Vintage 20/5 and Studio Classic 20/5, DSL 5 and DSL 20. The best sounding one in that wattage range I could find is the Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee 2525C 1x12 Tube Combo. It is 20 watts reduce-able to 5 watts, and definitely has the classic plexi crunch. BTW the Silver Jubilee also comes in 20/5 watt head and 100 watt head versions.

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Axis29 likes this.
  12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I just got my Marshall Origin 20 head in last night. I've got it running through a 1x12" Mojotone Lite cab with a 12" Celestion Neo Creamback.

Initial impressions:
    1. This is loud. Probably as loud as I thought it would be. Certainly it will be loud enough for my band, when we get to the point. Now, our drummer, when he plays a full kit, plays at a reasonable, respectful volume. So I imagine I will have to turn down a bit.
    2. This is not a JTM, not a Plexi, not an 800. It is definitely it's own thing. Which I love, even initially. It's not near as "gainy" as I thought it might be. It's actually quite clean, or much cleaner than I thought it would be. Great for AC/DC Malcolm Young rhythm, not quite enough gain for Angus. Even with the gain at 10, with the boost engaged, with master at 4, it was not near as gainy as I thought it might be. Tomorrow, the next time I'll have the chance to really crank it, I'll have to try master on 7-10 with gain on 10 and boost engaged/not engaged. I wonder how it will react with master and gain on 10. THEN it might get some.

marshall origin 20.jpg

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Put a booster or mild OD in line, and then you'll have your Angus gain level.

I actually have a DIY build of the Solodallas Storm, which is supposed to be an accurate pedal version of Angus's wireless unit's preamp and limiter, and will easily goose the Origin 20 quite substantially.

I prefer using an OD of my own design with the gain set really low, along with a DIY build of a Catalinbread Naga Viper. I can get variations of tighter/looser/middier/etc. (more modern, or more old school) in conjunction with them and the Origin 20.

Also, IMO, I don't care for the boost so much when things are really cranked, particularly if the gain is any higher than 6 or 7. It's just too wooly and loose for me personally, but I guess it might work for some users.

If the situation permits, I run mine with the master either maxed, or close to it. And that's why I almost never run the gain much higher than 6. There's plenty of grit and breakup, especially with higher output pickups.

Personally, I can't use the amp with the gain maxed (especially if the master is set high), because it's just too dirty and out of control sounding, in a low-fi sort of way.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    ce24 likes this.
  14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Heres my O20 with 2-10s one alnico Jensen and a weber ceramic.....gorgeous sounding rig. image.jpg

11 Gauge likes this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

So I have a quick question: Where do I plug in a 8 ohm 1x12 cabinet? The manual is different than the actual amp. Manual says plug into socket 3, and does not refer to a 16 ohm load. But the amp is different on the back. Which socket do I plug a 8ohm 1x12 cab into?

Manual's photo. And it says to plug into socket three.

marshall origin manual.jpg

Head's plugs. It looks like socket three is for a 2x___ 16ohn load. Or am I reading that wrong? Which is possible, and/or likely.

marshall origin back of amp.jpg

16. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Odd discrepancy. I would plug into the center 8 ohm jack.

One of those 2x16 ohm jacks should be a shorting jack, so if you plug into the wrong one, you won't get any sound at all.

17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I’m running through a stereo cab from two heads, one into each speaker @ 8ohm, and I am using the middle jack for the speaker my Origin 50H is running.

Axis29 likes this.
  18. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

Y’all talked me into it. Picked up a 20H for stupid cheap today. Haven’t had it into a cabinet yet but into my RLIR it sure does sound nice.

ce24 and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.