1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Origin Series

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jbnaxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jakedog and StevesBoogie like this.
  2. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

This interests me a lot. Messing around with modelers taught me that a good base sound with good tone controls is something I really appreciate.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Here is a review I ran across at lunch. This a good one because the guy shows the amp off in several ways. Among those 1) Guitar direct into the 50 watt Origin Head. 2) Guitar into pedal board into the front of the amp clean and then toggles multiple boosts and OD/distortions. 3) Into the amp direct and then out of line out (silent) into an IR. 4) into the head using a Helix 4 chord method (don't know what that means) that was last and I didn't watch that part because I have no interest in Helix.

He also shows what the amp sounds like in a produced track for each option above. He makes it sound great, I have to admit. I thought you might be interested in the third portion of the video where he plays his pedal board into the amp clean, ANNNND he uses a Tele for that part which is also cool.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to link it:(

Marshall Origin 50 Head Review - YouTube

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The origin amps definitely do zero grit, totally clean tones. How much volume they will have when they do this varies by wattage. I’d say if you want as much volume possible before breakup, use the 50. I can’t stay totally clean with the 20 with the band, and we’re not that loud. At home, the 20 is plenty loud without breakup.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You guys are killing me. But I mean that in a good way.

I'm starting to love the tones I am hearing from the demos you are all posting and of course your opinions.

Anyone putting a reverb pedal through their Origin?

6. Jakedog

The tilt is one of the coolest features ever put on a Marshall. It basically takes a four input, early Marshall, and jumps the channels. BUT... instead of just being 50/50, you can have as much or as little of both of them as you like. It’s genius. By far and away the coolest knob that’s ever been put on a Marshall amp.

I have to reiterate though, no matter what Marshall says or hints at, this amp does not sound like a Plexi. It just doesn’t. There is a lot of similarity in the cleans. Without any kind of breakup, they can be pretty similar.

But this amp (Origin) will never, ever overdrive or Saturate like a Plexi. It just won’t do it. It’s a different voicing, and does not have nearly the gain. Even with the gain and master totally cranked and the boost on. It’s a JTM style amp.

I’m cool with that, because it’s what I prefer. I play Marshalls mostly for the cleans. And the best of those are the JTM amps. This isn’t a dead nuts JTM reissue, but it’s very much in that spirit, sonically.

I maintain that if one is looking for Plexi crunch and overdrive, tones, this amp won’t do them. Not without pedal help. However, it’s characteristics make it a killer platform for outboard drives.

xland, Axis29, CapnCrunch and 2 others like this.
  7. Jakedog

I use an HOF mini with mine.

It’s much better in the loop, but I use it in line because you can’t activate the loop without the amp’s footswitch. I don’t want to carry an extra footswitch and have an extra cable in the way, not to mention extra cables for the pedal to go in the loop, just to have a single pedal in the loop.

Axis29, StevesBoogie and CapnCrunch like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep

My 50 combo, with the gain cranked and the boost on, and run at full "tilt", sounds big and rich and fat and juicy and low-end authoritative, and is awesome for most of my rhythm work. But it still doesn't sing and sustain the way I like at times for leads, and it won't get those big dense palm-muted chunka-chunkas that I sometimes want, without pedal help.

For those sounds I kick in that Donner Boost Killer, and it adds all that to the mix.

I don't play lead all the time though, and I don't need chunka-chunka all the time.
    So, for me, for like 90% of my playing time, it's perfect

9. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Full disclosure I'm very much a new, at home only player (under 2 years), but I very much enjoy my Origin setup especially with the Lightspeed and Southland low-mid pedals.

IMG_0112.jpeg

10. Jakedog

Nice rig!

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

okay okay. I didnt know this. I thought Marshall cleans are like Les Paul cleans. Always have grit whatever settings you set them, maybe I havent experienced enough Marshall amps.

ive only plugged into a DSL40c, although while it is nice, I didnt think much of it’s clean channel and though that the Fender HRD IV cleans was nicer.

@Jakedog In as much as the 20 would work for me, (we’re mic’ed and use IEM’s), i think I like the 50 for louder cleans in case I need that power reserve. And I also use high voltage tube OD’s (Kingsley), and wouldn’t want to load too much on a 20w head to start compressing early.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Jakedog

You may still prefer the Fender cleans. Marshall cleans can be very clean, but they are not the same voicing as Black Face or Silver Face fender cleans. The eq curve is different. I greatly prefer them. Not everyone does.

13. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, agreed 100%. Put one of these in front and drive yourself to Plexitown when you need that extra crispy crunch.

1C6C6E7C-6652-45F6-BFF1-A435BF157C80.jpeg 909EFEB5-8447-4EA7-BEA7-B04A9F73D78F.jpeg

basher and Jakedog like this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah. I would say the Origins are not quite as bright, tight and faint as the Plexis I’ve plugged into.

Not as loose as a JTM45 but leaning more that way.

15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

thats exactly what I want. Very clean.

honestly, i’m just a bit tired of BF/SF/Tweed Fender cleans. Ive been in that camp for so long. I want to experience the Marshall side of life. Hehehe

Jakedog likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I wanted “Very Clean” I’d get a JC22 for home or a JC40 for shows.

17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I personally like Marshall cleans even a bit more than Fender cleans which I love a lot. Think less shimmery and more warm, and you’ve got the difference between the two. At least that’s how I hear them.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Well, the JTM style clean has a quite a bit in common with Tweed cleans. They aren’t identical, but they share DNA. The original JTM45 circuit is a very close sibling to the tweed bassman. It doesn’t sound exactly alike. Because of differences in what was readily available from manufacturers and distributors i across the pond, there are tube and component differences which result in different sounding amps even though the circuits are very similar. That’s a good thing for me, because I freakin love a JTM45 and really don’t care much for a bassman. Those differences aren’t huge on paper, but to me at least, the sonic differences are significant.

Axis29 and Lawdawg like this.
  19. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

It took me years to figure out the secret sauce in clean is in the midrange.
    That’s why the Marshall clean is magic to me.

doghouseman likes this.
  20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer how the Origins are 'less loose', and that they don't have a tube rectifier.

I really just find it appealing that Marshall kept it as simple as possible, with just three preamp tubes, and a pair of power tubes. And not that chokes tend to fail, but I like that the Origins don't have one, and I think it's part of the reason for their looseness, despite having SS rectification.

I also love that the Origin 20 is cathode bias. That's what I love about amps like the 5E3 - when the power tubes need replacing, just pop in the new ones, with no other maintenance required.

The Origins keep things simple IMO where it's important, but then focus the bells and whistles where it's a potentially big sonic payoff, with the tilt, MV, and three different power levels, which the JTM45 doesn't have.

I occasionally humor myself with thinking I might build a DIY JTM45, but it would mostly be pointless now that I have the Origin. And if I did, I'd probably want to mod it for a MV, and probably also not bother to jumper the channels, so I'd probably end up modding it for the equivalent of a tilt control. But then there's the issue of power/output, and I'd imagine that implementing multiple power settings like Marshall's done would add some complexity that I probably wouldn't want to bother with. So the next best thing would be to use a pair of 6V6s, and probably switch to cathode bias, too. That's a bit of a compromise.

Axis29 and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.