1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Origin Series

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jbnaxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I haven't played a Plexi. I've played an original JTM45 and I've played a few late 70's JMP's. I have a friend from school who actually became friends with Malcom and Angus and he told me that despite their access to any gear they wanted, they almost exclusively used Plexis. When you closely listen to Malcom's rhythm tone, it is amazingly clean. It usually has just a little hair. I love that tone, and that is what I'd be after in one of these amps.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s supposed internally blend channels. But the JTM had that capability too. It’s not an inherent Plexi thing. IIRC, jumping channels in the Plexi cascaded gain stages, which resulted in the higher gain we all think of when we think “overdriven Plexi”. In a JTM it simply blends bass and normal channels, which is what I get from it in the origin.

I really think even the Marshall promo is very misleading about this amp. I don’t really hear much about it at all that says “Plexi” to me. When they first came out, the guys on the Marshall forums were not liking them at all because they thought it was going to be an affordable Plexi, and it’s really not.

The Studio 20 Vintage does a pretty dead nuts mini Plexi thing. The origin is much more JTM styled. I honestly think anybody looking for Plexi tones out of an origin is going to be disappointed.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    blowtorch likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

never played (or even seen) an Origin 5 but the 20 will do living-room levels on the middle attenuator setting. $399 for the head, $499 for the combo, go for it, says I.

the 50 is only a little more & maybe better for gigging but the 20 will hold up surprisingly well. I've played clubs with it unmiked & not run out of gas, 7-piece band with a horn section.

Glen W and Jakedog like this.
  4. Jakedog

See, that tone to me says JTM. They’re much cleaner than an overdriven Plexi. I have admittedly never done any deep AC/DC gear research, but it was always my understanding that the majority of the recorded tones, especially on the earlier more iconic records, was JTM heads. I could be wrong. But I never thought of them as Plexi sounds. They don’t sound gainy enough to me to be plexis. I know the 70’s JMPs I owned didn’t sound like Angus and Malcolm. They sounded hotter.

My origin doesn’t get nearly that gained up.

Mad Kiwi, CapnCrunch and blowtorch like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i think if one was to go supergear-geek diving into early ac/dc lore, one would find JTM and JMP and Superlead usage and notsomuch plexi stuff

CapnCrunch likes this.
  6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

In my retirement years, I would love to own my dream amp. At 64 years old and retired, I am playing better and more than I ever have.

I would like to get it right this time.

To put it in perspective, the Origin 20 is much less expensive than a good guitar.

Jakedog and CapnCrunch like this.
  7. CapnCrunch

Sounds to me like you are saying that the more cleanish and in between Marshall tones would be in the Origin's wheelhouse? I know the amp has a high gain boost also, but that would just be in addition to requirements for me.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. CapnCrunch

That also makes me wonder how well they are made. I haven't researched that issue at all.

9. Jakedog

Yes, but it’s not really a gain boost. Not the way most people would think of one. It adds a little girth and bottom, and volume. But the only reason it gives any more breakup is because it bumps the preamp level hitting the power amp. It’s not what one would generally think of as preamp gain or distortion. I am mostly after nothing but clean and edge of breakup tones. If I need more I use an overdrive. Even the cranked tones on the origin, with the boost engaged, are not even close to what most players would agree is “high gain”. I leave the boost on all the time, and my main guitar is a Les Paul. This is a pretty clean amp. It will do some light-med preamp crunch if you really crank the volume, engage the boost, and keep the master low. But that’s not really what it’s for, IMO.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  10. Jakedog

I’ve been running mine pretty hot for nearly a year now. No issues to report. I think some of the early 50 watt combo models had heat issues. But my 20 doesn’t. And it wasn’t an issue in the 50 watt head. I haven’t heard anybody bring it up in a couple years, so I’m thinking it’s not really a thing.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  11. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

..... If the Origin is clean-ish, that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a Special 6 too. It's a good compromise between a BF Champ and a tweed Champ. I also have a '67 Champ, and a Blackheart Little Giant. The Special 6 got the most use, because it was way more flexible. It's also the only small amp that I've owned that comes from the factory with a decent output tranformer. The Champ just isn't capable of putting out much low end, and I had to replace the Little Giant's OT to get a decent and full sound.

But even with the Special 6 in the 'tweed'/boost mode, it still doesn't have the punch or guts that something like my 5E3 does, even though the 5E3 only has maybe double the power. The push/pull output section seems to be a vital part of it.

Anyway, I have the Origin 20H. I personally haven't had any other amp of similar power that sounds like it. It has definitely filled a gap in what I was looking for.

Jakedog and Jbnaxx like this.
  13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I pound on mine for about a half an hour every evening, and maybe sometimes longer on weekends. I got it roughly a year ago, and play it regularly, thanks to the pandemic.

I haven't checked for excessive heat around the cabinet or chassis, but would imagine if there was an issue with overheating that it would have surfaced by now.

There are times when it seems like I smell 'warm particleboard', but that's nothing like the smells I've experienced with tube amps failing. I'm guessing/hoping it's just something benign.

I did purposefully get the head format, partly thinking that there would be just general longevity due to the fact that everything that gets hot radiates upward, and away from the chassis/PCB. I'd think the most likely failure points would be at or near the traces that are adjacent to the power tube sockets.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They left the MV out of the 5 watt versions. Rendering them useless IMO. Like all Marshalls, the volume knob has to be at at least 70ish% for the life and girth to come out. Unless they have a MV.

At that point, even a 5 watt amp is damn, damn loud. It's a shame, with a MV the Origin 5 might have been the ultimately home amp.

Jbnaxx likes this.
  15. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The OR-20H is a clean to crunch amp. But, if you're looking for Marshall crunch at home - prepare to get blasted by the volume. I was expecting more gain, but was very pleased with how good it sounds clean. I've got plenty of dirt pedals to run thru if I need some raunch. But man... those cleans are addicting.

Mad Kiwi and Axis29 like this.
  16. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I noticed that..... the same for 8 inch speakers. I think they must shoot for a price point when they design small amps. I guess we can’t blame them too much...... the market probably would not support a 500 $ 5 watt amp.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Well, I just posted about buying the 5 watt Laney Lionheart (again). Part of the problem with most low watt amps is that they come with small speakers and, usually, small cabinets. I’ve learned the heard way that I cannot stand the clean sound out of anything less than a 12” speaker and preferably in a spacious cabinet. E.g., I had the Orange Crush 35rt, with a 10” speaker, and it was meh. I upgraded to the Crush 60 with a 12” and it’s quite good. The Laney Lionheart 5 watt sounds great to me. However, new it retails for $1069, which is insane IMO. I’ve bought it twice now (sold one of them and bought another a few years later) for less than $600 in near new condition. They’re not that common so you have to search.

If I were going to buy the 5 watt Origin, I’d buy a big ol’ cabinet to go with it.

18. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

FWIW, this is one of the better demos I've seen, particularly in how he shows what driving the power amp gets you. It's definitely got my interest!

Glen W and Axis29 like this.
  19. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Looks like Marshall says it will do both the Super Lead and the JTM 45
    ——-
    Using the tilt control you can change the blend of your sound from normal to high treble. This is based on the multi-input technology of our more classic amps such as 1959SLP and JTM-45 but in a single controlled knob.

20. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

this got my attention. Marshall cleans? Sign me up!

if the 20 can do cleans like you said, i’m looking at the 50w head. I play clean and stack overdrives for gain tones. All i want is clean without any hair at all. Can the 20 and 50 do that type of clean? Or I’m looking for something that doesnt exist? Pure Marshall clean?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.